The First Single I Bought Was ,,,

it was between ‘bohemian rhapsody’ and ‘i will survive’, of all things… queen won the day, great post!

wendy x

Let’s go to San Francisco by The Flowerpot Men. Think it was around the late 60s and the band’s name was a play on words: flower-power and pot (cannabis). I had the flowers but not the pot (far too young for that!)

Sugar sugar , the archers, the year I started high school !

Mull of Kintyre by Paul McCartney and Wings. Bought from Woolworths with my pocket money. Those were the days. Definitely miss Woolworths. :frowning: Not that into Paul anymore though!

Mine was Seven Tears are running to the river by The Goombay Dance Band!!! Followed a few months later by The Lion Sleeps Tonight by Tight Fit!

Mine was ‘Like I Do’ by Maureen Evans, with a B side ‘Starlight Starbright’. 1962.

It cost 6s 8d, a lot of money to a nine year old.

Oh, and I’ve still got it.

I know this out of left field (whatever that means) but it was Black Knight by Deep Purple, mind you I was about 13 or 14. After that it was Slade, Bowie, Roxy Music etc which I still reckon was the most fun time for music

happy - i agree! bowie still has a resident spot in my car stereo

but i also remember wanderers song - sugar sugar. i was still in primary school and we used to listen to it on a roundabout outside the spar!

I first bought Lady Marmalade, 1975 i think i was

11, I played it over an over till i new all the words!

“kitchy kitchy ya ya ya ya…” ha ha ha, wat a grt idea for a post!!!

I still have the record! with the hole in the middle xxx.

It was CCR, Blackwater? Don’t ask the year, I’m too old to remember, I know they still had 8 track tapes back then lol Greg

It’s so good to remember all the good music that was around in the good ole days.

Am I getting old or don’t the music now sound as good? Probably getting old and grumpy.

Well at least they kept their clothes on in the old days eh? Lol!! (If you know what I mean). Mind you Pans People were a bit riskeee at times eh? Hehehe!

Thanks for replying. I enjoyed reading all the replies. Lovely memories. Dancing round the bedroom singing into a hairbrush. Ahhhhh!

Shazzie xx

Shazzie I love to put the music channels on sky tv on theres always the good old, old ones on there only thing is it takes me back to the days pre MS and makes me want to go there all over again and again and again :frowning: feeling all nostalgic now xx

I think you need to ask, what is the ‘worst’ single people ever bought, someone bought ‘mother of mine’,‘ma he’s making eyes at me’ etc. the worst one I own is ‘Billy don’t be a hero’ - I have others, however in my defence, people used to give me rubbish singles (ex pubs etc.had a juke box) because they seemed to think I needed to fill it up…only so many records it would take!

Bobby Goldsbourgh, Honey, still it makes me cry when i listen to it.

Barbara.xx

the first single I bought was “I Pretend” Des O connor (1968 ), went to the little record shop on my own, ( I was 8 or 9) with my hard earned pocket money , I remember the records laid out like a sweet counter , in the order of the charts , I still love that record too , and yep , like maude said earlier , I too had strange taste for a young kid !! LOL

John

the first single I bought was “I Pretend” Des O connor (1968 ), went to the little record shop on my own, ( I was 8 or 9) with my hard earned pocket money , I remember the records laid out like a sweet counter , in the order of the charts , I still love that record too , and yep , like maude said earlier , I too had strange taste for a young kid !! LOL

John

John!..ssssh, I love Des too,used to like his chat shows, Matt Monro, ‘Softly as I leave you’ ansd Ken Dodd could sing a bit…

ah , thanks for admitting you like Des too, I miss the chat shows , I think it was in my twenties when I got free tickets for a Des O Connor gig at one of those Ceaser’s Palace places ,

we went under the cover of darkness in secret not telling anyone where we were going LOL , and he was brilliant live , much better than on the telly even , Ken Dodd was a good old singer …p.s. we like Dean Martin too …then there’s …

Nothing like sharing a ‘guilty’ secret! LOL

Do you remember this one ? , “sukiyaki” by kyu sakamoto , I think it had been a hit in 1963 , I used to sing and whistle this as a little kid (which must have been a bit weird for those in earshot ) LOL ,