what was `your` era?

Afternoon guys and gals.

I`ve just enjoyed a great film…Rock around the Clock.

It was following the rise and success of Bill Haley and The Comets.

It was made in 1956. I was born in 1952, so a tad early for me.

But I love to watch Rock and Roll. I wish Strictly would include it. I always thought the Jive came after Rock & Roll, but not so!

I never could do much of a good job at it, as the twist was more my forte, during the 60s.

So, c`mon…who were the Kings & Queens of the dance?

pollx

I would have been a tweenie Bay City Roller if my mother had let me out looking like that (she wouldn’t) and later I would have been Julie Burchill, writing blistering teenaged prose for the NME and pursuing Bob Geldof through Paris in high heels, but my mother wasn’t keen on that either, so instead I confined myself to dreamily reading the NME in my bedroom before getting on with my homework like a good girl.

Alison

Wow me too Poll, i was watching it absolutely brilliant and brought back a lot of memories i have seen it before but it was getting my foot tapping lol.

Me born in 1951, so a sixties girl. I was a rock N Roll girl. xx

hi poll

what a great thread you have started.

i don’t really have an era.

i’m a bit of an “alternative” girl.

60’s - the doors, janis joplin

70’s - neil young, led zepelin. pink floyd,

80’s - jimi hendrix, bob marley, david bowie, the stranglers

90’s - radiohead, nirvana, red hot chilli peppers, faithless

since then i have flirted with lots of other sounds.

carole x

1 Like

Flirted Carole? Nowt wrong wi` that lass. I love a good flirt!

Its funny, but when youre in a wheelchair, you can get away wi` it!

pollx

hope more folk add to this thread, as it is a fun one!

My oldest brother was always into music, my first real musical memory is laying on his bed (only when allowed of course) listening to Bowie. When I was 12, I fell in love with Kate Bush. At 15, it was the era of the New Romantics. So briefly I dallied with that, then went a bit more alternative, Bauhaus, the Associates, even PiL and some of the other more punk bands. Then I grew up a bit and essentially listened to what my boyfriends were into, so Pink Floyd, Neil Young and then more rock music. Later still I discovered so many other musical styles. I honestly say that I love music and listen to old stuff, new stuff, all stuff. I adore 6 music and that is on all weekend, from Iggy Pop on Friday night, Gilles Peterson on Saturday afternoon followed by The Craig Charles Funk and Soul Show, then on Sunday morning there’s Cerys Matthews followed by Guy Garvey, then Jarvis Cocker and lastly Now Playing with Tom Robinson, which has a different theme every week. My OH and I listen to music all the time, old, new, whatever we come across and whatever we love.

So I wouldn’t say I have an era really, it’s moved on as I grew older. And all I can truly say about music is that 2016 has been dreadful. The passing of so many Heroes.

Sue

1 Like

Late 70s 80s for me Saturday night fever, Grease ,dirty dancing , could never do the moves but loved to watch those films even now , the things that Patrick swayze could have done to me I can’t write on here .

Going out night clubbing was a big thing coat or freeze,dance round your bag or wear an outfit with pockets , never mind what too wear and will you get a slow dance at the end of the night or be a wallflower, I was usually the wallflower or made a quick exit because I had brought me coat first in the queue.

Happy days .

Katy

1 Like

No particular era, grew up listening to my dad’s taste in music, still got a lot of his vinyl, Sinatra,Sammy Davis Jr, Calypso Cocktail,the Platters,Louis Prima,Nana Miskouri, Las Trios Paraguayos,The Dubliners,Vicor Borge, The brothers four and Val Doonican quite an eclectic mix, spent hours looking at peoples knees whilst my dad searched through LPs, which were too high for me to see!,there was much more, but the ones I mention, were rescued when my mother remarried and didn’t want to take them to Canada with her as her new husband “doesn’t listen to music”, that was the first time I ever really fell out with her, told her she couldn’t just pretend my dad never existed,anyway I’ve still got them, and we occasionally have an afternoon listening to them, she is now quite pleased that I got them out of the bin! Shame there is no Matt Monro, I would love to see a good rumba to ‘On Days like these’, maybe on Strictly’s movie week…perhaps their singers aren’t up to it!

son Billy playing autumn leaves on his guitar.

so got nat king cole on you tube right now.

lovely voice has nat.

Thanks for everyone’s input. You’re mentioning names I’d forgotten how much I love their music too!

I love music and singing… Recent my got a Jimmy Ruffing greatest hits CD…Magic!!!

My carer and I sing together every morning. When talking g if words from a song arise, we burst into song! Love it!

Music feeds a sad and lonely soul. Ooo, that’s profound our Poll!

Xxxxxxx

1 Like

[quote=“Boudica”]

Afternoon guys and gals.

I`ve just enjoyed a great film…Rock around the Clock.

It was following the rise and success of Bill Haley and The Comets.

It was made in 1956. I was born in 1952, so a tad early for me.

But I love to watch Rock and Roll. I wish Strictly would include it. I always thought the Jive came after Rock & Roll, but not so!

I never could do much of a good job at it, as the twist was more my forte, during the 60s.

So, c`mon…who were the Kings & Queens of the dance?

pollx

[/quote] strictly did do rock and roll at one point but it was too close to jive for most viewers so was scrapped, I thought it could’ve been replaced with the Lindy hop.

i love 80s, in fact I caught an old song this very afternoon that I’d forgotten and haven’t heard for years, but still found myself singing along (very badly) But I actually enjoy lots of different music and love The Kinks and The Seekers and always enjoy Motown.

so for me you could probably find something I your record collection I like.

1952 baby. Best concert 1969 Hyde Park Rolling Stones.

Oh gosh - you young things do go on …

So I can remember the Battle of Britain.
Humphrey Lyttleton, Chris Barber, Ottilie Patterson …Saturday nights at the Jazz club in Chislehurst Caves, then up to Soho for a coffee (the Coffee Bar craze was just starting).
By 1960, I had a nice green suit courtesy of Her Majesty (ie I was in the Army)
By 1961 I was in Germany, and married.
By 1963 I was in Dublin with wife and daughter. We went to the Dubliners first on-stage gig (the Gate theatre), and one of the group worked for the same firm as me (different division).

Enough, I am starting to feel old.

Geoff

1 Like

I dimly recall that at least one or two of ‘The Dubliners’ were ESB (Irish Electricity Board) craftsmen or thereabouts - I had family connections in the Electricity Board (as then was) of Northern Ireland in those days, so we felt a certain affinity!

Alison

Geoff…youre not old, youre experienced!

pollx

Hi all,

I have no particular era but I have loads of songs I love for all different reasons. Lady Gagas pocker face was on during my daughters labour with our first grandchild. Black eye peas I’ve got a feeling at our daughters wedding. Lots of songs that bring back lovely memories.

Loved Brian Connely of the Sweet, the Kinks, Paul Weller, Moby, REM, Communards, David Bowie, Tina Turner, the list goes on and on.

Im not keen on country songs, though.

I really don’t think life would worth living without music.

Mags xx

I expect you’ve all been waiting for me to chip in.

Its just been announced that I have been designated an Era by the British Neuropsychiatry Association in their New Year Honours List.

I will be appearing at (selected) Arndale Centres in 2017 signing copies of my latest rant “Where 2nd Viscount Melbourne Went Wrong” as a warm up act to a George Formby Tribute act.

Albrecht

4 Likes

ooh albrecht!

hope the tickets are not too expensive.

how about i pay you in socks?

i just love george formby!

carole x

Actually I think I’ll give Antony’s show a miss (damn autocorrect just tried to make that word read ‘kiss’, I think not!). Although I am impressed that he’s been designated an actual Era. That’s a valuable award. And will probably put his prices up as a result. Although I must say, I think blowing ones own trumpet about New Year honours is a bit de trop, although it might be said that throwing a bit of French into a posting is itself a bit ‘arsy’. Whatever.

Sue

Pourquoi?

3 Likes