Indication of MS to non-sufferers.

For anyone with physical symptoms of MS, when functioning in public how have you visually indicated to people that you have MS without having to explain that verbally all the time?

I have use of one arm only, with unusable arm hanging motionless. I work in a shop and although I don’t mind an occasional question, it gets tiresome being judged for it.

A sunflower lanyard (to indicate an invisible disability) has invited false assumptions rather than to quell them.

You could go for an unsubtle t-shirt?

Workplace has a uniform so use of own clothes isn’t possible. I dont want to hide my disability, even if I could. I simply don’t want false assumptions made by people seing my unused arm or lanyard. Examples of these interactions:
-“is your arm broken?” (no, just unusable)
-“would putting it in a sling help?” (no, as it is hard to apply with other arm only)
-laughing/staring from people assuming I must have a mental disability too (no, I don’t but if I did, I would not deserve that attitude)
-ostracised in public

most people are fine but sadly the a-holes stick with you.

That’s really tough, particularly when you’re in a public-facing role rather than just with colleagues who know the score. Maybe a short phrase like ‘I’m afraid I only have the use of only one arm’ could help when delivered with a cool ‘end of message’ smile, but I’m sure you’ve tried every variation on that already!

1 Like

I have many friendly conversations with customers about it too, which puts things in perspective, and keeps my feet on the ground. If I was them, I can’t pretend I wouldn’t be curious too so I respect an honest, straightforward question knowing they (and myself) could learn from it.

I also have some colleagues who, although I shouldn’t expect them to care, think it’s justifiable to exclude me or treat me like I only capable of ‘x’ when I can still ‘y’ or ‘z’, if I do it my own way. I am limited but not incapable.

I appreciate how defensive I sound explaining that but I’m grateful for your replies. I hope you’re good :slightly_smiling_face:?

1 Like

I don’t mind talking about my MS but I know that You can buy badges that say ‘ I have MS’ and I guess that if you just didn’t want to talk about it then some cards to hand to any people who ask and saying something like ‘ I generally don’t like talking about it but yes the MS has affected my arm. Thanks for asking’.

Most people are incredibly kind and I wouldn’t be surprised if wearing a badge resulted in some kind words along with e.g. ‘oh my friend, relative, whatever’ has MS followed by a few kindly words.

1 Like

Hey again. I’ve seen some lanyards/badges with info cards on Amazon which name the disability and possible symptoms. Here’s the one I mean (if link is allowed):

two problems:
I wouldn’t be comfortable having personal details on a card for anyone to see, although I could just put first name.

secondly, not all the symptoms described apply to myself (and I suspect a few of us on here may only experience a few aswell). Any person who takes time to read card but NOT question anything may assume it all applies.

If card could be modified or tailored to only specific symptoms, I’d feel comfortble.

I do like your suggestion though Hank_Dogs, it could help others :slightly_smiling_face:. does anyone else reading this thread agree with my points OR do you disagree and would be happy to wear one of the cards in link (or something similar)?

1 Like

Im not sure if people would read lanyards unless pointed out to them - I do think the cards would be a good idea

1 Like

MS society has cards which have been used by me to queue jump in toilets!
Vista Print is brilliant for making your own cards if you want bespoke.

1 Like

Try some searches for designing your own badge ( or similar search terms). There are a few places that offer basically any design and wording you want. Not sure of the range of sizes but following one search a saw a fairly standard size with the words ‘I have MS’.

Might be possible to find somewhere that could produce something that says e.g. MS affects my arm ( or something better than that)

I’d be happy if it simply prevented assumptions.

Tried a few searches — I even ordered one lanyard but words were printed on one side of ribbon only, going around neck, which meant only people from behind me would see it!

I unerstand you are suggesting how I could get lanyard/badge made but I also wanted to know if anyone has had visual cues that have succeeded too.

It’s relatively easy when one visual clues are two hiking poles when out and about. Folksgive me a wide berth with no trouble at all (unless they’re walking along with their faces in their phones and don’t notice me), but I can see that’s trickier when it your arm and people are your customers.

1 Like

Just a thought: what about a bandage or brightly coloured wrist splint - purely to indicate a problem.

I had a “Please offer me a seat” badge on my work bag and card in my wallet, I know it’s not explicitly indicating MS and more for generic disability, I also use two walking poles or now a rollator whenever I’m out.

Great reply… you’re completly correct that it’s more noticeaeble for some people compared to others. It must be a mixed blessing symptoms being more obvious… people offering help is nice but people doing things for you without asking, usually because of THEIR impatience, gets to me…

what problems have you experienced from other people?

I’m relatively lucky in comparison to yourselves that my legs, though a bit sore, don’t effect me badly but if it were possible, I’d accept use of walking aids in exchange for the use of my arm again anyday.

‘grass is always greener’ as they say.

1 Like

The problem with showing a non-defined disability, in my experience, is people want to label me or assume I must have a mental disability if they don’t see physical disability.

Nothing wrong with people that do have a mental handicap, it should be accepted in this day and age, but the stigma surrounding anyone ‘different’ is abhorrent/disgusting and hard to disprove when people have already made up their minds.

1 Like

Hi @SparkyIOM
Tbh, I’ve found multiple sclerosis has affected me physically and mentally over the years: I have executive dysfunction, which was explained to me by the neuro-psychologist, it’s common with sufferers of MS apparently. :brain:
Best,
JP

1 Like

You won’t be at all surprised to learn that my most difficult-to-handle interactions are related to the invisible part of my disability too: heat intolerance and fatigue. Maybe I’m just projecting, but I do sense a bit of ‘oh, for heavens’ sake’ in people’s expressions when the things I must do to manage these things make me look weak and wet in the eyes of civilians, even well-disposed ones. :slight_smile:

1 Like