Happy Childhood Memories/Food

Oh yes Bambi - we were always told when asking what was for tea “an air pie and a walk round” apart from “sawdust and hay for dinner today”

Think these posts show that there are several of us over 21!

When we asked what was for dinner my granny always told us we had two choices - take it or leave it.

Now I know some-one who will make four different meals for her, her partner and her two children, if thats what they want.

JBK x

Good post so many memories from every one, i remember saterday teatime was a large pan of home made soup. and the wresting on the tv, going to school with wicker baskets for our books all the rage at the time, having a book with scraps between the pages that we swapped with friends at playtime,skipping ropes and elastics, playing out on the street till it was dark and we were called in for bed.

Dureing holidays we had bread n marg in bread wrapper and a bottle of water and go off for hrs at a time, no one worried about us we just came home when we were hungry, lyeing on out backs in the fields and watching the skylarks or peeweets soaring above us, picking wild blueberrys or blackberrys taking them home with us for tea.

I can still see the fields in my mind and brothers and sisters and our cousons running wild,but being respectfull and closing gates ect as we were taught.

Sherbet lemons salt n vinegar crisps or ones with the little blue wrap of salt you shook over them,our bedroom covered in posters of pop stars and radio caroline with lhe latest songs.

Barbara.xx

What a great thread. So many great memories.

I remember toasting bread or crumpets on the open fire for Sunday tea, then bathtime and back in front of the fire to dry our hair.

I have great memories of bonfire nights. We would be collecting stuff for the bonfire for weeks beforehand and my Dad would buy a few fireworks each week on payday and hide them away in an old biscuit tin. We weren’t allowed to see them until the day.

Good times!

Oh I had forgotten about the wrestling on a Saturday. My granny was addicted to it and she used to shout at the TV when the dirty wrestlers used their underhand tactics when the ref’s back was turned.

My dad and uncle took her to the local Corn Exchange to see live wrestling once. Never again, they said! She went down to the ring with her handbag and starting trying to hit the dirty wrestlers, ha ha ha. She didn’t understand that it was all scripted. Probably the only reason she wasn’t thrown out is that she was a little old lady with a Spanish accent.

Tracey x

Oh the wrestling :slight_smile: laid on dad’s back watching Big Daddy & Giant Haystacks :slight_smile: building dens and playing coyboys & indians Happy days

Iused to see Giant Haystacks quite often when I went to get the stamps for work, that was something I’d completely forgotten till now, working out how many of what value we’d need for the week, that and the tomato and cucumber ledger and the fat and bone book…worked for Dewhurst butchers,all had to be accounted fot

Loved the ‘sawdust and Hay’ answer I am going to use that everytime I am asked what is for dinner [which is a lot and I could wear it out]

Wrestling please please don’t remind me. My two boys loved WWE growing up and would watch it every week, and every week I would ban it because they would practise the moves on each other. It would end in tears after a particular gruesome attack of ‘boney elbow’ They obviously ignored me as they still watch it and get together to pay to watch some live event from America in the early hours of the morning.

Oh yes the wrestling. and Gramps marking off the football results on his Littlewoods Pools ticket.

And remember the two tin cans with string between them and we used them as phones!! Oh such brilliant memories!! Thanks for all your brilliant replies. It has definitely made me feel a whole lot better reading them. And thanks Helen for your post that gave me the idea!

Shazzie xx

Such an enjoyable post, reminiscing is such a brilliant way of passing the time! I was a 50’s child, in London, and remember the rag and bone man coming round the streets on his horse-drawn cart and ringing his bell. Mum would often go out with a few old clothes and get a bit of cash for them. Also remember the Betterware man knocking on the door with a big basket of things he was selling, and he would give out tiny sample tins of lavender furniture polish. Once a month us kids would all have to take a duster and some polish (I loved taking the tiny sample tins) in to school and polish our wooden desks. Can’t imagine that happening these days, not that they have the old fashioned desks with an inkwell now! I can also remember the terrible smog in London, when you had to have a scarf across your face to avoid breathing it in. Those were the days of proper coal fires that were lovely, but a terrible consequence on the environment. So many things are flooding back into my mind now, but won’t bore you with any more for now. A Great thread - really enjoying it. xx

Oh the Rag and bone man :slight_smile: there’s one thing for sure this disease will never take our memories away! I hope :-/ Sue x

Thanks Juneb. I am so pleased you are all enjoying looking back. I’m enjoying it too.

Rag and bone man. I remember that too.

And the coal man coming with a big bag of coal on his shoulder. Oh and the bins in the metal bins and the men having to carry them on their shoulders. No wheelies then eh?

Oh one more memory. A bit gross but it happened daily. Mum spitting in her eye liner/mascara tray. Used to make me cringe but still a good memory cause it meant we were going out somewhere nice.

Shazzie xx

I was always a pale child and mum used to use her liquid rouge on my cheeks to make me look a little more human. It used to make me feel grown up 'cos I got to wear make up long before my older sisters :wink:

Tracey x

Oh, and the irony, my granny was Spanish but I have English rose skin

Bless you Tracey. So sweet!!

Shazzie xx

Tracey - I am a redhead from Norn Iron. My dad always said I was not so much white as a slight shade of blue hehe

JBK x

JBK just read your post about asking for 10p mix, now that does make me feel old, that would be like asking for 2 shillings worth from the penny tray!..yep, feel really old now!lol

Ahhh. What about the little tape recorders where if you held down the record and play button it would record you speaking or singing along to Crazy Horses on the little record player in a box. That was definitely my best ever christmas prezzies.

Shazzie xx

My sister had a tiny record player with singles of Bibbity bobbety boo and other kids songs. When the batteries ran down the songs would play slowly but you could also play them backwards which my brother used to do as he knew that made my sister flip her lid. Oh I love these memories!

Tracey

Shazzie and Tracey, that really takes me back, I remember taping Top Of The Pops from the telly by holding a little microphone up to the screen and pressing the play and record button. No one was allowed to talk while I was taping. Oh love these memories too, the kids today would be horrified if they had to do that to get their music!!! I remember being delighted with it and thought it was great fun.

Helen x