Happy Childhood Memories/Food

Hi Tracey and Helen.

This is gonna sound weird but I can smell the smell of the tape recorder when it was brand new. It had a special smell.

Hope you know what I mean. I am not bonkers honestly!!! Not much anyway!!

Shazzie xx

I remember listening to the Top 40 on radio 1 on a sunday from 5-7 and recording the songs but you had to be quick with that pause button if you didn’t want the DJ’s voice as well.

I don’t so much remember the smell of tape recorders but there was a definite small from the tapes when they had just been used.

JBK x

Oh Kelly. So funny. I am so glad it’t not only me who used to sniff my toys. Sounds terrible doesn’t it? But you know what I mean!!

Shazzie xx

Shazzie and Kelly you are so right, there was a smell when you opened a new cassette box and I used to love the smell of a new annual book. If you flicked through the pages really fast it had a lovely smell.

Happy days

Helen x

Hahahaha. We are off on smells from the past now girls!!! Lovely!!!

Shazzie xx

ok - I just want to point out to Shazzie that I did not go around sniffing my toys. But the smell was unmistakable & you could not escape.

Shazzie hun - toy sniffing is a deviation too far - you should seek professional help. (on that note the hair on a new plastic dolly like the ever present Tiny Tears also had a strange smell - oh, so I was told!!!) hehehe

Annuals however were not toys and there was a lovely smell from the pages, I agree Helen. I wonder if it was the glue on the book and dolly?!?! And if I was sniffing glue and strange chemicals at a very early age then that explains a lot!!!

JBK x

Hahahaha Kelly. See. I knew you were a toy sniffer too!!! And you Helen!!

You are right Kelly about the smell of the plastic dolls hair.

I have had a thought and I am not gonna seek professional help as I enjoy sniffing toys!!! And I think you should accept that you have a problem too! lol!!!

Shazzie xx

I used to love the smell of the glue (shocking!)n they used in infants, it was brown thick in a tub, never seen it since.

Kelly and Shazzie hilarious I just burned my throat with coffee. I was going to say the smell of dolls heads. I have got an even greater confession to make I used to sniff my crayons and playdoh because I liked the smell.

What is that I can hear? the sound of sirens? I think they are coming for me.

Helen x

And taping the Top 40 off the radio with my little tape recorder up in my freezing bedroom 'cos it was the only place where I was guaranteed peace and quiet. Well I had two brothers and two sisters and we had a dog and a cat. It was mayhem downstairs lol.

Helen, I think sniffing crayons explains how so many toddlers get them stuck up their noses!

Ha Helen and Kelly Lol

Perhaps we could arrange a trip to Toys r Us to see if the dolls still smell.

And I used to love the smell of Play Doh too!!

Oh and what about playing with fuzzy felt!!!

My sister and I used to stay at my gran’s on a Saturday night if my mum and dad went out and she had a giant double bed which felt to us like it was 10 feet high and covered in sheets, blankets and a quilted topper. The sheets and blankets were tucked in so tight that once you were in you did not move again till morning when you peeled the covers back an inch and managed to wriggle out. For breakfast she made us a cup of tea which was so stewed you could smell it through the house and so sweet your back teeth crumbled, she also got lovely fresh rolls from the bakers and filled them with real butter and put them in the oven to crisp and melt the butter. It was one of the best tastes ever, a buttered roll and cup of tea. I also used to dip my toast in my tea, truth be told I still do and then drink my tea with a lovely covering of butter on it. Mmmmmm. Linda x

Ahhhh memories Linda

Real butter!!! I can’t remember the last time I had real butter. The good for you butter we use now tastes like nothing up to grannies butter!

When we were coming for lunch she would always put the parafin heater on and you could smell the parafin from out in the garden!!

Shazzie xx

Fuzzy felt. I used to love playing with this. If I were to ever have given my children fuzzy felt they would have had seconds of fun while I had hours of fun playing with and making different scenes. I also used to try and tape the top 40 off the radio and try and cut the tape off as soon as the DJ started talking, never very successfully. Linda x

Linda, I’m glad you do the tea and toast thing, I mentioned that earlier in the thread, I was beginning to think we were the onoy family that did that :slight_smile: x

ohh cherry lips. used to love them.

my man used to buy me and my sister a treat and i can remember going into the sweet shop. big jars of sweets on every shelf. it was heaven haha. the little chews, black jacks and fruit salad. 2 for a penny.

how times have changed

For anyone really missing the old sweets, they need to visit “A Quarter Of” (http://www.aquarterof.co.uk/) and see what you can still buy if you look around (…I’ve bought hampers in the past as Chrissie Pressies !!)

Dom

sweety heaven lol

Fruit Salads and Black Jacks!!! Yummm! And tost dunked in tea Sonia yey!!

Anyone remember the spoonful of black stuff given to us kids every morning for vitamins. Can’t remember what it was called but it was horrible. Looked like tar!!

Shazzie xx