What dose of Vitamin D do you take?

Is there a certain amount of Vitamin D that MS sufferers should take? I take a one a day supplement but was wondering if that was enough? What do you think?

Have a look at vitamind3uk.com and vitamindcouncil.com. Taking 1200iu a day got me to “normal” (according to the current UK guidelines). Taking 5000iu a day got me to nearly what the vitamindcouncil recommends. I dread to think what my levels would be with nothing, or with only 400iu a day - the current RDA in the UK! Check the label to see what’s in your one a day supplement. Karen x

I take 10,000iu of Vit D3 as recommended by my MS nurse, It’s brilliant!!! my energy levels have started to improve, although fatigue still rears its ugly head most days, my need to sleep for 2-3 hours has subsided. I bought mine from Amazon, the 5000iu tablets in a bottle of 360 tablets cost less than £20. Give them a go, I’ve recommended them to all my family. Jess x

Great thanks for your replies, my tablets are only 1000 iu a day so I definitely need to bump that up. I’m also taking alpha lipoic acid at quite a high dose.

Hi all, I am curently taking 1000iu per day and have had a fair bit of sunshine this summer - as opposed to being office bound for 25 years until being diagnosed. I do feel much better, less stressed and happier as a start to recover from a sever relapse earlier this year. I would like to take more Vit D but no advice from GP or MS nurse as to the best level. I’m worried at upping the two capsules without seeking more info on safe levels but would really appreciate as many views as I can. Many thanks, Lindyloo

ive been reading a lot about vit d lately, someone taking 40,000 iu a day stopped having 6 monthly relapses and hadnt had a relapse in over 4 years. im taking 10,000 iu aday at present started a week ago hoping to stop my ppms progressing

This is from the Vitamin d Council website “If you use suntan parlours once a week or if you live in Florida and sunbathe once a week, year-round, do nothing. However, if you have little UVB exposure, the advice is as follows: Doses for children and adults healthy children under the age of 1 years should take 1,000 IU vitamin D3 per day— over the age of one, 1,000 IU vitamin D3 per every 25 pounds of body weight per day. Well adults and adolescents should take 5,000 IU vitamin D3 per day. …” the link is [urlhttp://www.vitamindcouncil.org/health/deficiency/am-i-vitamin-d-deficient.shtml][/url]

http://tinyurl.com/3e6y58w Sorry :cry: here’s the proper link V

amylou wrote:

Is there a certain amount of Vitamin D that MS sufferers should take? I take a one a day supplement but was wondering if that was enough? What do you think?

Just google Dr Holik and look at his presentation on Vit D3 Deficiency. l take 20.00ius to try to get my levels up to the recommended level of 150/200nmols [ most GPs still work on the out of date levels of 40]