vitamin d

Just wondered what your experience is of supplementary vitamin d and what dose people take? Seem to get a different answer whenever I ask the docs!

I take vitamin D, my consultant advised me to start taking them the day I got diagnosed. Which was last summer so I’ve been taking them for roughly 8 months. I take 1000mg.

I didn’t get many colds over the winter and when I did it didn’t last very long, so I guess they work lol :slight_smile:

Hi, I take 3000 iu every day and still managed to break my back, so I guess it’s down to what your doc’ says. Have you had a bone scan to see how thick/ thin your bones are? That should determine how much you should take. Janet x

I take 30.000mg a week my consultant said it was very important and doc gave me it on perscrietion .

I take 4000mg a day, unless you have been told to do otherwise, just take the standard 1 tablet a day :slight_smile:

Might be a good idea to know your mcg, mg, ug and iu right first with the thousands otherwise newbies will swallow thousand of pill to keep up then die

Thinks its 4000iu maybe?

I take five tablets of vit D3, that’s 125mcg which is 5 000iu. I started this when I started of the Professor Jelinek diet. I believe that people with MS have more difficulty in absorbing this vitamin. This strengh can certainly do us no harm.

Moira

My doc gave me a paper about it which says 4000IU a day. This is 100ug

Hi

I have been taking vitD3 1000 IU for 3 years and I am positive that it is a good thing. I am thinking much more clearly, walking better and my balance although still a problem is more stable.

I also take Alondronic acid once per week (prescription) and after 3 years my bone density scan has put me back in the normal range.

Both of these have given me what I perceive to be a high level of benefit and I would recommend that MS’ers follow this. In America some take 10,000 unit but I think that is excessive.

Cheers

Moira

Hi

I have been taking vitD3 1000 IU for 3 years and I am positive that it is a good thing. I am thinking much more clearly, walking better and my balance although still a problem is more stable.

I also take Alondronic acid once per week (prescription) and after 3 years my bone density scan has put me back in the normal range.

Both of these have given me what I perceive to be a high level of benefit and I would recommend that MS’ers follow this. In America some take 10,000 unit but I think that is excessive.

Cheers

Moira

I was dx 18months ago, never been told to take Vit D?? I have been given Vit B, and I’m on DMD, and other stuff.

When I was diagnosed in 2012 I asked my neuro about taking VitD and he said I could but it doesn’t make any difference. When I went back 6 months later he said he had been to a conference and it was becoming obvious that there was a benefit to taking VitD so he perscribed me Desunin 800iu per day.

20,000mg a week 2 years.

SPMS.

Every little helps.

Keep well.

Peace :slight_smile: