Forum

Watching the birds

Iv’e just been watching the birds they are amazing, we have loads coming in at the moment I wish i knew what they all were I think some of them are quite rare, Lee’s put the feeders up with fat balls and sunflower seeds and mealy worms, i even saw a mummy sparrow feeding its fat baby sparrow…Its funny since iv’e been ill iv’e developed a far greater appreciation for nature.

Michelle x

2 Likes

I love watching my garden birds I take piccies of lots of different ones

2 Likes

Same here Michelle I appreciate nature far more now I’m ill than I did before.

Trouble is we live in the middle of a building site and I have see no birds yet since we have moved in but I live in hope.

I have put out feeders so fingers crosses once the development is up and running nature will appear again.

Mags xx

2 Likes

Hi Michelle, its true when you become ill you do notice nature more, we were talking about it the other day, i started to notice the sunrise and sunsets, more,infact everything more, the birds,the flowers all became more beautiful.

J x

1 Like

Michelle have a look on the RSPB website http://www.rspb.org.uk/discoverandenjoynature/discoverandlearn/birdguide/

XXX

2 Likes

Thanks for your message Mags,

I hope your birds come back…we are fortunate because we are near fields, but when Lee first made the bird house and the feeder the birds were reluctant to use it, I thought it was too close to the house, but i think it was just a case of them trusting something new…now there are loads of them.

Michelle x

1 Like

Hello Mrs J, I think that the things I took for granted are the most beautiful.

Michelle x

1 Like

Thanks Don, maybe i’ll become an expert!

Michelle x

1 Like

i was just saying the other day about how i notice the wildlife these days and joked that when i was younger a dinosaur could have been in the garden and i wouldnt have even noticed lmao…

J x

1 Like

Mrs J the way I feel today I must have been born when the Dinosaurs were around. It started first thing this morning when the car recovery man said I went to school with your daughters. So I am feeling OLD today.

Michelle I got my first observers book of birds when I was about seven years old and I have been mad about them for 52 years now.

The sun has finally arrived in Margate it was so cold earlier we actually put the heating on for a while earlier.

2 Likes

lol Don,we have had the heating on the last week as ive been so cold,i wouldnt mind we never hardly had the heating on through the winter.

J x

1 Like

Hi Don,

we went on the RSPB site and it was really good, Lee recognised quite a few of the birds that have been feeding at the bird table…we have quite a few Blue tits and plenty of Sparrows. and Lee had seen a Bull finch, a male one which i think is quite rare, we are lucky because we live near countryside.

After 52 years of bird watching you must be quite an expert.

Its been raining nearly all day in Frodsham, I don’t mind the rain it makes the flowers grow…I love listening to it at night bouncing on the greenhouse roof, its very calming when i can’t sleep.

Michelle x ( I’m waving to you Don…did you wave back?)

1 Like

I’ve been watching birds since I was a little girl …a million years ago! I’m so greatful now that it’s something I can still do. Not that I can go off hiking around the countryside as I used too but living in the countryside I too get a lot of birds.

This year I have four nest boxes with cameras and they give me such joy. The television is switched on first thing to make sure all is well! We have a blue tit with nine little tiny wriggly babies, a great tit with six and a delightful little wren with two babies. The fourth box had starlings with six babies, for no apparent reason Mum deserted the nest on day two after hatching

In a former life I reared baby parrots in Spain so as I knew what to do I decided rather than ask someone to take them to a wildlife rescue place I would give it a go myself but send them if they appeared to be failing. I’m pleased to report all six are thriving…they are so cute…very noisy and very smelly but never the less it has been one of the most enjoyable things I have ever done …I’ve kept daily photos and a daily journal because I never want to forget the experience or the joy it’s given me.

its utterly exhausting but such a privilege, especially as starlings are now red listed by the RSPB and the BTO.

Hhope you’re all having a reasonable day,

love Nina x

4 Likes

well done Nina, how wonderful that you saved the tiny birds,bet it did give you so much pleasure,too.

J x

3 Likes

Brilliant Nina. Well done you!!!

Even in middle of London I love watching the birds. We have loads as it’s very green around here and very close to Alexandra Palace which is a huge park.

I have a feeder on my window. I get mainly great tits and occasionally Robins.

Magpies built a nest in the crab apple tree outside my window. It’s been fantastic watching this. The female sat in the nest for about 3 weeks but she seems to have gone now and no sign of babies. I think she must have laid unfertilised eggs. Such a shame.

Agree with you Michelle. Since having MS I really appreciate nature.

Pat xx

4 Likes

My daily go to website is http://www.ntu.ac.uk/ecoweb/biodiversity/falcons/ where I have been following this family of falcons from eggs to current fledgling’s. A wonderful relaxing site (except for any pigeons watching…)

The adults make for wonderful parents, but very untidy! It’s practically my screensaver.

Regards,
Stephen

3 Likes

Yes of course I waved back. I am officially very jealous it has been over twenty years since I last saw a Bullfinch and they are a beautiful bird. Being bought up on a farm I noticed the birds new all the nests and when the cherries were about had to scare them off.

3 Likes

Nina, that is so lovely… I’m so glad that they are all doing well.

I’d love to have the bird boxes with the cameras, When we went to Centreparcs a few years ago they had live camera images to the chalets and we were watching the badgers.

I loved reading your message, its so much nicer to read lovely messages than talk about ms…I feel really good now.

love Michelle x

2 Likes

Thanks Stephen

I will save this to favorites.

Michelle x

1 Like

I didn’t know that they were so rare Don,

Lee goes bird watching with his friend from work…a couple of weekends ago they went to Wales to watch the Red kites, he was showing me the pictures…they are beautiful… I always liked the birds but i have far more appreciation now, It must be lovely to hand rear them like Nina’s been doing.

Michelle x

2 Likes