VOTE FOR JOKES

I think we should start a new thread to keep the jokes this is our site if you are offended by jokes DO NOT READ THEM. IVAN

1 Like

Surely laughter is one of the most valuable coping strategies we have - please Moderators don’t take this away from us. We NEED Wobblyboy and his jokes… Others too.

Ivan, I agree with you 100%.

ann

Maybe we could have a ‘Just for fun’ section and that way everyone would know what it was about!

Sonia x

Stewart’s ‘sticky’ post at the top of the page on ‘Jokes on the MS Society Forum’ sets down the Society’s position on this quite clearly. Not much more to be said, I don’t think.

May I suggest that we all try to be mindful of the resource and other constraints within which those who keep this forum afloat are operating. Let’s just be glad that they’re hanging on in there and doing their best for us.

Alison

9 Likes

lt was the Just a Giggle thread that was closed down.

Who is this forum for - lts for us - so lets make the majority happy for once.

it seems to me that the limited resources keeping this site open are going to be less stretched, very soon, because far fewer people will visit/post, as people seek other places to get their regular ‘pick-me-up’ of humour, or would that be the desired effect?! i’d be interested to know what proportion of visiting MSers find humour a necessary outlet.

xx

I’m sorry I appear to be in a minority of one, and I must stress I am NOT the person who complained (so must be in a minority of at least two, in that case), but I found the threads dedicated only to recycled internet jokes, lame, boring, and a waste of space. Some of them were based on crude stereotypes too, and might have been offensive to some, even though they weren’t to me personally.

We are all guests here, it’s not “our” site - it’s the Society’s site - they say what goes.

The more carping there is about management decisions, the closer we come to losing the forums altogether. Is that what some people want? Every new thread about this is more resource spent on having to monitor and eventually lock and remove it.

There are folks here who are naturally very witty writers about the trials and tribulations of everyday life with MS. I’m sure it’s not them this is aimed at. But there’s not much wit in copying and pasting old jokes that have been doing the rounds for years.

If anyone feels there’s no point being on this forum unless they are allowed to do that, it seems a great shame, as I feel there is plenty of other worthwhile material - including more lighthearted anecdotes about real things that have happened to people - so certainly not all doom and gloom. And there are plenty of alternative online resources for collections of “bad” jokes.

Tina

11 Likes

If the MSS says no jokes on these forums, whether we like it or not, then that’s it.

I support this decision because there were some ‘jokes’ that were near the knuckle and a lot of the ‘jokes’ were not funny.

6 Likes

Chill out guys, learn the art of compromising and move on

X

1 Like

There is room for all so let’s get in touch with our kindness self and loosen up please

Have you watched the news this morning and caught up with the important things.

Peace and light to you all xx

Jokes are gone from the forums now sad but true :frowning: That’s the MSS position and we need to live by it…

2 Likes

I’m wholeheartedly with Anitra on this one - this is really good MS forum, a rare thing on the internet. There are myriad other places you can go for jokes.

4 Likes

I just think it’s sad if we can’t laugh at something funny and I know that everyone’s sense of humour is different, but still sad.

I agree with you Tina.

To me the issue is the distinction between offensive jokes and inoffensive ones. Unfortunately that line became blurred and led to the banning of all jokes.

I would really hope that forum users see beyond the ‘joke’ issue and continue to contribute to the forum. It is here to support people with MS, something which it does very well and we all have a role to play in that.

Anne

4 Likes

A witty, even barbed, anecdote written succinctly beats obvious ‘jokes’ any day.

2 Likes

Yeh, an emotive subject and I can see both sides of the argument…being a libran!

Jokes make us laff, laffter is good for us

BUT

As MSS resources are limited…and we would rather more donations went on research than moderating this forum, then we gotta accept the reasons why too many jokes takes up too much time in moderation.

Maybe a little joke here and there, written into a funny, but true scenario, will be acceptable.

pollxx

4 Likes

Nice one Poll

1 Like

forums are communities. for sure, this particular community is united by quite a sombre commonality known as MS. but does this mean no humour is to be tolerated?

for me, i derive value from this resource in ways other than smiles from puns or ‘lame recycled’ jokes. i tend not to read the contributions from the more comedic members of this community; the woblyboys etc… nothing personal, i just ain’t in here for that. am i bothered that they are? not all. are they bothered that i am not? not at all.

i think if someone was so outraged as to complain about the presence of humour (good, bad or indifferent), well i think that is unfortunate. but we are a community and their sense of entitlement should be tolerated, just in the same way as the jokers should be allowed to persist.

create a clearly distinct thread or folder dedicated to humour (and cat videos etc…) and let people deal with this shitty illness in the best way they know how. life is not already tough enough for some eh?

2 Likes

[quote=“Paolo Smythe”]

forums are communities. for sure, this particular community is united by quite a sombre commonality known as MS. but does this mean no humour is to be tolerated?

for me, i derive value from this resource in ways other than smiles from puns or ‘lame recycled’ jokes. i tend not to read the contributions from the more comedic members of this community; the woblyboys etc… nothing personal, i just ain’t in here for that. am i bothered that they are? not all. are they bothered that i am not? not at all.

i think if someone was so outraged as to complain about the presence of humour (good, bad or indifferent), well i think that is unfortunate. but we are a community and their sense of entitlement should be tolerated, just in the same way as the jokers should be allowed to persist.

create a clearly distinct thread or folder dedicated to humour (and cat videos etc…) and let people deal with this shitty illness in the best way they know how. life is not already tough enough for some eh?

[/quote] very well said g

1 Like