Vitamin D Levels - GP said not low?

Hi, I posted yesterday about starting on Vitamin D treatment so had GP appt this morning. He rang my MS Nurse who said was 47.3. He then said that it was not really that low but would give me something for 6 months. He has given me Adcal-D3 1500mg/400i.u and I have to take 2 a day - does this sound correct?

Ta very muchly

That seems like quite a low dose of vitamin d. My level originally was 19 and I was given 10,000iu a day for 6 months. My level went too high so now on 10,000iu twice a week. I would imagine that you would need 2,000iu a day to get your levels to a normal level- if I remember rightly the level range starts at 75 and goes up to 200 so ideally 150 is a good level

I just had mine done as was taking 2,500 iu for years and decided to have a new Vit D3 test. If you ask for printout from your GP if they did it it will say in my case result 35 g/l and normal guidelines of 35-50 g/l

My neuro bod said I should be taking a min of 5,000 iu but due to me just hitting min guidlines I have uppped that to 7,500 iu.

You level of 47.3 is not low but due to what I was told from my neuro bod vit d3 not only reduces relapses but could slow MS progression I would put it to your neuro bod what level should your blood show, MS nurses don’t know much or read latest studies.

This whole vit d3 thing is a bit annoying as Neurologists if they all agree what VitD3 can do should pick a number like 50 or 60 and say everyone should aim for that.

Neuro bods being vague with their advice is not helping anyone and I suggest everyone here to get a Vit d3 blood test before swallowing loads of pills.

Hi

Note UK Vit D levels are set at 70mol but this does not take into consideration MS. You need to get blood test done twice a year for Vit D and Vit B12 at the start of winter and end of winter months. You Vit D score should always be around 150mol and 500 mol for Vit B12.

Worth trying the sunbed but only use it if it has UVB tubes and not UVA, I use this once a week for 12mins for Vit D as we never get any sun in the UK!!

You can ask for B12 injections but with good eating habits and once a day Vit B12 pill you can get the levels there yourself with out the pain!

I also take Vit D3 in liquid form as the pills you get are synthesised and don’t have the same affect.

We have to tell the Doctors what we are feeling and usually how to best treat us as they are in the dark sometimes as to know what is and isn’t best for people with MS

Good Luck

Jimbo

Hi

Note UK Vit D levels are set at 70mol but this does not take into consideration MS. You need to get blood test done twice a year for Vit D and Vit B12 at the start of winter and end of winter months. You Vit D score should always be around 150mol and 500 mol for Vit B12.

Worth trying the sunbed but only use it if it has UVB tubes and not UVA, I use this once a week for 12mins for Vit D as we never get any sun in the UK!!

You can ask for B12 injections but with good eating habits and once a day Vit B12 pill you can get the levels there yourself with out the pain!

I also take Vit D3 in liquid form as the pills you get are synthesised and don’t have the same affect.

We have to tell the Doctors what we are feeling and usually how to best treat us as they are in the dark sometimes as to know what is and isn’t best for people with MS

Good Luck

Jimbo