Vit.d3 levels

Good day msers, Just had bloods taken and results for vit.d3 levels. Very low hence extra supplements required. I was a camper and always spending time outside in the sunshine. Eat a very balanced diet consisting lots of fish, salad and veg. Not overweight and would say Im drinking enough milk and eating all I should. Strange that my vit.d3 levels were exceptionally low. Ive now been prescribed extra to top up the levels. I would suggest asking for your bloods to be tested if your at all interested as its been written on site previously that a large chunk of msers equally show low levels of that vitamin. Best wishes bren x

Not terribly surprised Bren - it does seem to be a common curse of we MSers :frowning: I hope the doc has put you on some strong pills. Kxx
loopiloo wrote:

That is so weird Bren 'cos I had mine tested a few months ago and was told that my levels were normal. I am so sorry that yours are low when you do everything right and have to take more pills!! Claire x

Just a word of warning Claire - “normal” levels were established a very very long time ago, before it began to be known that vit D was important for MS. Quite a lot of neurologists are recommending 5000IU or even 10000IU a day now even if your levels are OK. Karen x

What happens if your GP’s surgery won’t test the levels? I asked for the Vit B & D levels to be checked when they last took my routine bloods as i am on Rebif, but was refused.

ladyinred2000 wrote:

What happens if your GP’s surgery won’t test the levels? I asked for the Vit B & D levels to be checked when they last took my routine bloods as i am on Rebif, but was refused.

Maybe it’s a different budget so you’d need to get it done separately? Complete guess of course! If I were you, I would print off a pile of stuff relating to MS and vit D (I can pm you some research abstracts if you like) and shove them under the GP’s nose. I can’t see how they can refuse you a test given the info. But if they still do, perhaps your MS nurse or neuro would intervene? Karen x

Asked again for Vit D levels to be checked. Nurse included it on the request - will let you know whether i get a result and whether the level is low.