Visa for Austrralia and MS

Hi, I am wondering if anyone on here has experience of applying for a visa for Australia. My husband has a job offer, I am concerned that my MS diagnosis will prevent our getting a visa. Can anyone help please?

Hi Kaybee, Visas are tricky. Briefly you would need to show that your MS is not going to be a financial cost to the country. That is, that you have the capacity to meet your own medical needs without applying for Govt assistance. It will also depend on the sort of visa you will be travelling under. This guide might be a starting point for you. https://assessments.visabureau.com/australia/assessment/skilled/default.aspx And you can get more information at http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/health-requirements/ and http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/22health.htm Where in Australia would you be based? I live in Victoria. Good luck with your applications and hope to see you down here soon, Belinda

This has nothing to do with Visas or how you get one if you are staying and working in Australia. I have family in Victoria and have been to stay with them in Melbourne. Your post made me think about your previous comments in reply to my saying there was no NHS in Australia. When our Australian visitors were here in England two years ago on holiday, the elderly member of the family became ill and was admitted to one of our hospitals. He was there for two weeks and couldn’t praise the doctors and nurses highly enough. He was astounded at the excellent care he received absolutely free of charge ! On a previous occasion my daughter, son-in-law and grandchildren came to stay here with me - from Melbourne. My grandson contracted an allergy which needed investigation. He was dealt with at our local hospital and prescribed the required medication - again with no cost. My Australian son-in-law was amazed at the good care received in England absolutely free !

Your point being…???

marilynh wrote:

He was astounded at the excellent care he received absolutely free of charge ! My Australian son-in-law was amazed at the good care received in England absolutely free !

This is one of the biggest weaknesses of the NHS. It gives excellent treatment - to people who have made absolutely no contribution to its running! Some people deliberately come to Britain as soon as they know they have an expensive condition that needs treatment/surgery/whatever. Some women deliberately come into Britain just before they are due to give birth so they can get free maternity care. Why on earth should they receive this treatment free??? There is a constant battle to get meds and treatment by people who live in the UK, have paid NI and income tax, have contributed to society. The NHS and PCTs claim poverty. NICE rejects meds that are “too expensive”. And still they treat overseas visitors for free. CRAZY.

Thanks to you all for the info, you’ve reassured me, and I will be checking out the links Belinda sent. Sorry haven’t been able to reply as a PM (haven’t worked out how!!!) Kathy

rizzo27 wrote:

marilynh wrote:

He was astounded at the excellent care he received absolutely free of charge ! My Australian son-in-law was amazed at the good care received in England absolutely free !

This is one of the biggest weaknesses of the NHS. It gives excellent treatment - to people who have made absolutely no contribution to its running! Some people deliberately come to Britain as soon as they know they have an expensive condition that needs treatment/surgery/whatever. Some women deliberately come into Britain just before they are due to give birth so they can get free maternity care. Why on earth should they receive this treatment free??? There is a constant battle to get meds and treatment by people who live in the UK, have paid NI and income tax, have contributed to society. The NHS and PCTs claim poverty. NICE rejects meds that are “too expensive”. And still they treat overseas visitors for free. CRAZY.

I know. I think it is to do with the ethic of the NHS in itself. If someone needs treating - no one is turned away. I think that the much of the medical profession will not refuse to treat is someone is not a UK national, although I think that they can. But perhaps a charge should be made to non UK nationals to ask them to pay a fee. Not megabucks, but something. We have to jump through hoops to get through other countries health systems. Here is a free for all and the NHS has its limits as we all know. Steffi xx

I saw something in the doctors today that said if you do not live in the uk you will have to pay a fee to see the doctor even if you have a British passport, it’s about residency not nationality. Well, the majority of non resident British people has got to be retired people who have paid tax in this country forever. Yet, from that I can only assume that you can stroll into this country claim you reside here then proceed to rob the national health for all it’s worth! Lol, another perfect example of how this country looks after it’s own :slight_smile: Suz xx