Forum

Vibration

I’ve seen a few posts where people mention they’ve got symptoms including vibration inside their bodies that come and go, that is in their legs or their feet or their abdomen, etc. I have that same vibration, have had it for well over a year, it is all over my body 24/7 and has steadily gotten worse. On more than on occasion I have asked my husband if he can feel it when he puts his hand on me because it is so strong I can’t believe he cannot. It is not always the same intensity, but I have it all the time. It does seem to be worse right when I wake up.

I had a brain MRI two months ago. My neurologist says there are no MS lesions. I also had a four-level cervical fusion with instrumentation seven years ago, but I saw my neurosurgeon earlier this year after a neck MRI and he says there is no further problem with my neck and no problem with any work that has already been done. I should mention that the neurologist diagnosed me with fibromyalgia, which I almost feel is the “disease du jour” as an easy diagnosis. Not to say that people don’t have it, but that it is easy for a doctor to blame everything on that and look no further. For that matter I may have it, but I am certainly not convinced that fibro is where the vibration is coming from, since no doctor has associated this symptom with that disease in any reading I have done, and in fact, all of my doctors have essentially dismissed it.

Well, it can’t be dismissed. It’s disorienting. It has so intensified over the last year that now it is nearly painful, especially in my head. For the first time, I can feel it on my skin, on my nose, my eyelids, my lips. I can hear it, and it interferes with my hearing. It dawns on me to wonder if it is some kind of low-level pain, like a substitute for the headaches that the neuro DID get rid of, in the same way that itching is low-level pain. Understand that I have had chronic daily headaches, that is headaches every single day of my life for the last forty YEARS. I haven’t had this many headache-free days since I was twelve years old. I’m fifty three. It’s a miracle for me, and if the vibration eas the price I had to pay for that, I’d be willing to pay it. The thing is, the vibration started several months before I started the new, working treatment for the headaches, so if this vibration is indeed low-level pain, it’s a precursor for pain I haven’t had yet. That’s the scariest thought imaginable.

I should add this: I have chronic sarcoidosis. Not the kind that hits your lungs and then goes away, but the kind that stays and makes itself at home in your kidneys, your liver, your lymph system AND stays in your lungs. The neurologist says I have no signs of neurosarcoid in my brain, but I don’t know if you can get it in your spinal cord or not. So there’s another possibility.

I’m here asking all this because nearly all the references on line to “whole body vibration” either go to some silly device that people use to GET whole body vibration (I’d give them mine for free) or they go to people who have MS. Do any of you have a similar symptom that has not been relapsing/remitting but has steadily gotten worse, and if so, what was the cause determined to be? Almost as important, was there any treatment??? Thanks for the patience on the long read. Oh, and I should be up-front. I’m not a Brit, I’m a Yank. My best friend IS a Brit, if that helps any.

Hi Nightauel, Vibration - or at least, the sense of it (I don’t think anything really vibrates) is quite a common problem with MS, BUT whole-body symptoms of any kind are rare. This is because the abnormal sensations, or paraesthesias, to give them their proper name (paresthesias, I think, in the US) are linked to where in the CNS the lesions form. As lesions are random, and wouldn’t be ‘everywhere’, it’s unlikely to have a paraesthesia affecting the whole body - or not one caused by MS, anyway. I’m not sure whether this points to any other conditions, where ‘whole body’ symptoms are more likely. A friend of mine has sarcoidosis. She got diagnosed about the same time I was being diagnosed with MS, and underwent many of the same tests, so I know there’s an overlap. Fortunately, she doesn’t have CNS involvement either, at the moment, but I do know it can happen. Not sure about spinal cord only, though. Tina