update

hi all!

ive got my first app with neuro on25th sept.so really just would like some advice on what to expect.what to take,ask etc??

i also went to see optician again about the black spot in my right eye which is still there after5wks&have to see dr again2moro morn as they think its prob a floater but i shouldnt be getting any pain with it which i am!optician put2different drops in2dilate pupil&check4dry eye&she said that tears arent dispersing prop&that she cant see any floater so she is referring me to eye hosp to see opthalmologist.im not sure what to think or what theyre thinking!does the fact she couldnt see the floater mean its something else or im just seeing things??what would you think?

many thanks

when you see your neuro take a list of all your symptoms, even the ones that have gone away.

my neuro welcomed it.

mention the floater because a lot of msers have eye problems

please don’t be worried because your neuro will help

carole x

ps good luck

Here’s a copy of an old post of mine. Just suggestions mind.

No point in second guessing the floater/non-floater thing - I’m sure the ophthalmologist will work it out :slight_smile:

These are the things that I think help at a first consultation:

No.1: Be prepared! (It’s always best to have something and not need it than need it and not have it!)

• Be able to tell the neuro your medical history, any neurological illnesses in your family (if asked) and your symptoms in a succinct, objective manner. Prepare a list / aide memoire to help you. Do not prepare lists with loads of details over loads of pages: the neuro will most likely only want a topline summary / headlines. If they want more info, they’ll ask. A good list will be chronological and focus on the main symptoms. For example, April-May 2009: optic neuritis (recovered); September-December 2010 (some recovery): incontinence, spasms in legs, shooting pains in legs; June 2012 (ongoing): terrible fatigue, deterioration in walking, some cognitive difficulties. If this is the first time this kind of thing has happened to you, then stick to a simple explanation – when it started, what the main symptoms have been and how they progressed, if anything has gotten better since. For example, March 2012: woke with tingling in legs. Developed to legs, torso and back over 2 week period. April: extreme fatigue; tingling areas now buzzing, itching and hypersensitive too. Now: all of the above plus blurry eyesight.- Take a (short) list of questions if you have any.

• Take a list of symptoms that you are struggling with so the neuro can advise re meds or therapy.

No.2: Do not hand over lists unless you really can’t talk through things yourself. If you do hand something over, do not speak until the neuro has finished reading it (or asks you a question - once you’ve answered it, be quiet again if there’s more to read). If you are planning on handing anything over, keep a copy for yourself.

No.3: Be honest. Do not exaggerate and do not play things down.

No.4: Take someone with you if you can. It is really helpful to have another pair of eyes and ears there so there’s a better chance of remembering what happened and what was said. The other person can also help to jog your memory if needed.

No.5: If the neuro’s taking notes of what you’re saying, give him enough time to keep up and get things written down properly.

There really is nothing to be concerned about. The goal of an initial consultation is for the neuro to work out what the most feasible explanations are for your symptoms and to order suitable tests. To do that, he/she needs to know your history and the results of a clinical exam. The only bit that you can help with is the history. So that’s your contribution: to provide the information that the neuro needs. This isn’t too hard - after all, it’s all about you! A list / aide memoire can help to keep you from waffling or missing out something important though.

Karen x

thanks carole

ok i’ll do that.do you think i should be worried about the eye prob or just wait&see what eye hosp says?dont know how long itll take2get app

x

thanks karen thats very useful advice!

saw gp again this morn as he asked me to.he doesnt think the eye thing is related to rest of my symptoms just something else!

did the reflex tests again&said they were all normal so doesnt think its ms as i would have weakness of some sort&also the twitches&jerks im getting in legs&arms plus the aching,pains&cramping arent ms signs but he said to definately tell neuro about my swallowing trouble i get.

he said he doesnt really know what would cause the ‘spaced out’ feeling i sometimes get or the loss of balance&stumbling!

thinks i should have an investigation about the swallowing but that he’ll leave it to the neuro to order any tests he/she feels need doing.

does all this sound right?

x

what do you think?x