Turning over in bed

Does anyone have any tips for altering position in bed please?

My legs aren’t good and the right one is just a dead weight so I just lie flat on my back but would love to be able to move during the night.

I have a bed lever that gooes under the mattress,to help me,social services gave me it along with a few other aids,that help.

I have a monkey pole that fits on the back of the bed, and I use

that to change position.

If you have an OT ask them, or if not, ask the GP to refer you to

an OT

Hope that helps

Pam x

Sounds like I have the same thing as Jaki. It fits under the mattress and it has a big bar that I use to pull myself into a different position.

Council arranged for an OT to come out and fit grab rails too which help.

Do you have an OT?

Shazzie xx

Yes me! I can’t turn over, it’s like from the waist down I can’t move without great heavy pain, I kind of have to shuffle and drag myself over. It’s bizarre I thought I was just an odd ball!

Hi yes I struggle with that too but don’t have anything to help me. I have the bedside table drawer slightly open nd I use that to hold on to and turn over and there is a handle thing on the mattress that I hold onto to turn myself over, as long as I am facing that direction. Sometimes my husband gives me a shove but I only get him to do that when he is awake, I won’t waken him to do it. The others have better solutions than me. Cheryl:-)

I have the aid that slides under the mattress, but it is of no use when one leg is completely dead and if moved (by hand) then just traps the “good” leg and I am completely stuck.

Suggestions from OT are to use satin sheets or wear satin pyjamas.

I have given up sleeping in bed and use my reclining chair now as can’t stand the back pain from lying rigid all night.

where is my post?

Hi I posted this very question on here more than a year ago and only got back two replies. One was buy silk sheets (doesn’t work, already tried it), the other was grab rails on both sides of the bed. This applies to single beds only, I think - I haven’t slept in a single bed since leaving home xxxx amount of years ago. At least you have had some sensible answers! I was left with the feeling that I must be the only person with MS in the country that couldn’t manage to a) actually get into bed and b) turn over from one side to the other. The good news is that my PA/carer starts on 13th August. Yea… Tracy

Hi I posted this very question on here more than a year ago and only got back two replies. One was buy silk sheets (doesn’t work, already tried it), the other was grab rails on both sides of the bed. This applies to single beds only, I think - I haven’t slept in a single bed since leaving home xxxx amount of years ago. At least you have had some sensible answers! I was left with the feeling that I must be the only person with MS in the country that couldn’t manage to a) actually get into bed and b) turn over from one side to the other. The good news is that my PA/carer starts on 13th August. Yea… Tracy

I lie down with my legs bent because I can get a bit more movement from bent legs, would this help any? I don’t think satin sheets or pajamas would help me, I just know by the way I move (or don’t move) that they wouldn’t help. I find it easier to turn one way than the other, so I start off on the side I can turn over from then I can manage a turn during the night, but I’m sure you have tried all this. I can get in (usually!) getting out is another problem! Cheryl:-)

For deep sleep, side sleeping works good for me. Some times, I use a think pillow between my legs that provide good comfort to me.