Gettin out of bed...

Hi folks I’d like to think I’m normally cheery BUT this morning what a trial to get out of bed. Every limb weighed twice as much as usual and did not want to move had my MS progressed to this extend. How will it happen that I cannot get out of bed on my own? Feeling sorry for my self thank God this site is back. Did I mention pain? I am sitting here now after taking paracetamols and Ibuprofen NOT all pain is MS. Take care, M

Hi M I am not sure if this may help you, but I use a monkey pole to help me get out of bed. Without my pole I could not get myself up. Its a strange thing, cos after being in bed for about 5 minutes I am unable to roll over, sit up or anything, so I constantly use my pole throughout the night, moving into different positions to try and help the pain. It was my OT that got me this when I was in hospital once, and for me, it has proven invaluable. Pam :smiley:

I find my ‘bed leaver’ invaluable.Ask your OT about providing one

I find my ‘bed leaver’ invaluable.Ask your OT about providing one

Cheers for the tips, I think (that’s my problem) it was having done too much at the weekend. Sometimes it - the hellish monster bites me in the rear. Oh! and I was/am a bit down, I’m on a12 weeks waiting list for a hospital appointment to get the fracture to my lower spine (L4) looked at. They asked if I was prone to falling… eh! Never mind I’ve been on the list now for 5 weeks, it sure makes you a little hesitant about walking. Have a good day folks and take care, M

Hi, I have a ‘bed bar’ that I got free from OT. There’s a long bit that goes under mattress and holds it in place. Not fixed to bed but your own weight on top of it secures it. Then at side of mattress there’s a metal loop, coming up about a foot or so above mattress (not sure if that description makes sense :roll: ) I use it to pull myself up to sitting position, to pull myself out of bed. and to hold onto until I get my balance. Also use it to change position in bed. A real God-send. Hope you’re feeling better and sorry to hear about spine problem. Pat x

skippysprite wrote:

Hi M I am not sure if this may help you, but I use a monkey pole to help me get out of bed. Without my pole I could not get myself up. Its a strange thing, cos after being in bed for about 5 minutes I am unable to roll over, sit up or anything, so I constantly use my pole throughout the night, moving into different positions to try and help the pain. It was my OT that got me this when I was in hospital once, and for me, it has proven invaluable. Pam :smiley:

Hi Pam, managed to get back on today…yippee! now about you and this Pole in bed…is he on NHS? LOL. Hope you dont mind me taking this as a chance for us to have a giggle, eh? You say you have problems moving in bed/turning over. I am using satin sheets now, as without them, I cant turn over or move up the bed either. OT is coming on Wed re hoist. Looks like hubby will have to move out of bedroom temporarily. Think I`ll be using a floor hoist until ceiling hoist can be installed. luv Pollx

HI MS43 , I have a bed stick a bit goes under mattress leaving the handrail next to the bed great to pull yourself up with. Stops me falling out of bed too or dropping my book when l fall asleep. I hope you are taking it easy, take care regards Jan xx

Going back in time… I have found the ultimate ‘bed pole’ this week! ‘Stander security pole & curved grab bar’ as is usual it is not cheap! Pure luck that I found it, thought I would pass it on. M xx

Oh, you’ve reminded me, further to my earlier rant. I also got a bed handle from the OT. It’s very helpful.

For a short person (me) I needed a floor to ceiling curvy grip! So far 4 mornings out of 4 I have successfully got out of bed on my own! Just thought I’d add a positive:) M x

I’m sure my middle name should be ‘Goldilocks’ but I have never got on with bed rails that I have tried even though I need something to help me turn over in bed. I felt that the bed lever made the mattress feel uneven and I was sleeping on a slope…Maybe I mean Princess and the Pea

Anyway, what I did if you have a bed frame type bed, was to tie a rope (I used an old curtain tie back) around that which I can grab hold of to to help turn me over - also you can hide it away under bedclothes during the day It costs nothing anyway and works for me.

Elaine .

1 Like