Forum

To all cat owners, advice needed

Hi, I moved into a new rented property 2 months ago. One of my cats is scratching the outside door. It looks a bit of a mess because it’s wood. I’m dreading it should the letting agent ever visit, I may lose my deposit if and when i move. How can i stop her from doing this and causing more damage? Thanks

Fi

hiya

scatter pepper around…

Hiya, rub the doors with orange peel? X

Open the door?

[quote=“Val”]

Open the door?

[/quote] I can’t open the door if i don’t know she’s there.

[quote=“lisacarlyle”] Hiya, rub the doors with orange peel? X [/quote] Thanks. I’ll give it a go :slight_smile:

[quote=“fi2006”]

[quote=Val]

Open the door?

[/quote] I can’t open the door if i don’t know she’s there.

Oh I see… she obviously expects you to be sitting there waiting for her!!

There is a spray you can get to stop scratching funiture or lemon juice i spray on black bags sometimes stops them scratching it open.orange or any citrus juice or get off gel.My cat hates all the following. xxx julie

Hi Fi,wot u cud do is get a piece of plywood fixed over the ‘Itchy+Scratchy’ part.This will have a two-fold effect :Pussykins can keep scratching,which it probably enjoys,and no further damage will happen to the door.The damage to the door could be fixed right at the ‘Moment of reckoning’.If the agent is any good they might be approachable about this little problem.

Oh,you could always get a door bell fitted for the cat,but Voles, Mice and Hedgehogs would probably ring it then scurry off into the night.

Wb

Hi, I own two cats and I also have this problem. When we rented our property we had to pay a bigger deposit just in case our cats did any damage but we have sanded out the damaged bit on the door and restained it so it looks a hell of a lot better. We have put an old log outside the door and they do scratch that more than the door now but I might have to get some kind of spray deterrent. Let me know if you discover the answer to this problem.

My cat you to climb on the blinds in the front room, so we bought some spray repellent.

Its the best thing we ever did, and its harmless to the cat

Yeah, there’s some anti-scratch spray you can get from the pet-shop. Cats do seem to like having their ‘spots’ to scratch as well so once your cat has started scratching the door, it’ll probably want to keep scratching there as they do it to mark their territory, sharpen their claws - as well as asking to come in

Mine is so loud when she cries, I hate to leave her out at night - she can wake me up. I don’t stand a chance if she decides to wake me as she will stand with her paws on the edge of the bed and yell at me if she wants something!

[quote=“ThesheriffJW”]

My cat you to climb on the blinds in the front room, so we bought some spray repellent.

Its the best thing we ever did, and its harmless to the cat

[/quote] I’m going to have to sand the door and re- varnish it first. I’m sick of her damaging things. She ruined the carpet in my old house, then tried to make a start on my new carpet when i moved. Grrrr

I do sympathise, my female cat is so bad with ruining furniture. We try so hard to stop her but she just will not stop. My rugs are ruined and two sofas, cost over £1000 each have now got plucks in the side. I’ve just ordered some beautiful dining room chairs but I’m terrified she will start on them. I love her to bits but she’s so naughty she gets me down!!! I can’t shut her out of the house 24 hours a day. I think I might try Feliway spray.

type in cat repellant spray on amazon they have loads on there

Hiya! My cat Kinky has shredded the carpets at every doorway, and the front room carpet is just one big mass of clicks! He’s a bit of a monster and I’ve tried everything to stop him; I tried orange&lemon peel, (but he’s now got a taste for it and just chews it) the only thing that works a charm is if I smear the woodwork around the bottom of the doors with mouthwash! just a tiny bit so it’s not noticable to us. I also put bits of sticky back plastic around the bottom and sides of the sofa/furniture for a couple of hours to stop him shredding those (works a treat, they hate getting their fur stuck in stuff) Failing that… ‘Puss In Boots’?! Ha ha

Hi Fi,

I used to work with cats,a rescue center, so here are some suggestions to try

stick newspaper on the door, they don’t like scratching paper. Have you got a Scratch post ,if so put it by the door.

Is the cat just asking to go outside and you need to invest in a cat flap, land lord willing.

hope this helps

Sue

I’ve always wanted a cat but my 19 year old son is allergic so I can’t have one until he leaves home. In the meantime, I content myself with everyone else’s cats but at least I don’t have to put up with their damage ;-). I bought a friend a ginger tabby cat doormat - in the shape of a large, grinning cat - as it looked just like his cat, Amber. However when he opened his Christmas present and laid it on the floor, thinking he would put it by the front door later, Amber promptly jumped down on it and used it as a scratching post and it’s still hers, now shredded to bits. She obviously decided that as it looked like her, it was for her!!

Cats - gotta love 'em!!

Tracey xx

Cats need to scratch - so a scratching post is important. Also, you can clip her claws so they are not so long and sharp.

There is spray called Bitter Apples that is supposed to put them off scratching. But if she is scratching to get back in the house then perhaps a catflap is the answer. l have had a small square cut out of three internal doors for the cats- this is to stop them scratching up the carpet to get into another room.

As soon as mine come indoors they make a beeline for their scratching posts - lt seems to be quite normal for them to want to scratch. They have a toy mouse stuffed with catnip tied to the post as well.

My problem has been my dogs scratching at doors. They have ruined the paintwork - so l have had the doors rubbed down and repainted - then clear plastic glass fitted over them. Now when they jump at the doors they do not mark.

Never a dull moment with pets - but still l would not want to be without them.

F.

[quote=“LoopyLinda”]

Hiya! My cat Kinky has shredded the carpets at every doorway, and the front room carpet is just one big mass of clicks! He’s a bit of a monster and I’ve tried everything to stop him; I tried orange&lemon peel, (but he’s now got a taste for it and just chews it) the only thing that works a charm is if I smear the woodwork around the bottom of the doors with mouthwash! just a tiny bit so it’s not noticable to us. I also put bits of sticky back plastic around the bottom and sides of the sofa/furniture for a couple of hours to stop him shredding those (works a treat, they hate getting their fur stuck in stuff) Failing that… ‘Puss In Boots’?! Ha ha

[/quote] I used sticky back plastic on my carpet. It did no good. I think she liked it because she kept going back and putting her paws on it :smiley: