Thought I'd share some good news about bowels! ;o)

I have had awful constipation and impaction problems for many, many months. This was put down to my MS and despite taking great care with my diet, trying all sorts of medications, I was getting nowhere.

It was then pointed out to me that amitriptyline can be really detrimental to good guts (like with much of the medication we have to take!), so I cut it out and also introduced linseeds into my life! They’re not the most delicious thing in the world, but 1 tablespoon morning and evening has worked wonders. I’m regular for the first time in years, and it’s so nice to have something go right for once.

I’m not usually one to harp on about these things, but it’s made such a difference (after a couple of weeks) that I had to share.

Sarah

Hi Sarah

I’m happy for you!

I’ve been banging on for years about what we eat and ingest, as it seems to me to be a fundamental necessity.

Mark

Hi Sarah Great to hear - it must be a fantastic relief! Teresa xx

That is good news. But have you replaced the amitriptyline with anything? I ask as I too have erratic bowel issues. I take ami for severe nerve pain and it really works. I have tried to reduce it, but the awful pains return. What were you taking it for?

luv Pollx

I was taking it for nerve pain too - I have since started Zonisamide for my nerve pain which isn’t working brilliantly, but I’m gradually increasing the dose and hoping it does the trick!

Ha! Just read blog on same subject and linseeds:

http://ronsrants.wordpress.com/2012/08/23/ultimate-remedy-for-medication-induced-constipation/

Pat x

Hi Sarah

Thank you for that. I am on 40ml Amitriptyline plus Baclofen and Morphine patches. I had been having migraines with sickness which was really getting me down. I ended up using suppositories as I felt that constipation wasn’t helping the problem. I am coming off of the patches, slowly with consultation from my doctor and I’m pleased to say that although I still get headaches I am not having sickness; cause (I believe) I am no longer constipated. I do eat ‘coarse bran’ every morning mixed with a nice breakfast cereal and drink lots of water. I don’t want to come off of Amitriptyline as along with Codydrymal it helps me to cope with the pain but sometimes a rethink on our drug situation can help.

I’m glad that it’s helping you too Sarah.

Wendy x

Yes, it’s very easy to get “stuck” with our medication routine; it was difficult for me to accept that I might have to change things (and even harder to persuade my neurologist to change my medication for nerve pain), but it has been so worth it. I still have trouble sleeping (the ami helped with that), but the massive improvement in my bowels is worth it.

Weird you talk about Linseeds as I was helped out by a member of the forum this week with a link to you tube. The link is a doctor I am due to see called Prof Young at The Walton Centre. She talks about what she would do as a doctor if she had MS. One of the things was to eat linseeds. They may help to repair myelin and are a great source of omega 3. Started them yesterday sprinkled in yoghurt! Carolyne.

That’s interesting, I’ve not heard about the myelin thing - if it helps there too, all the better. I’ve bought golden linseeds in bulk from Amazon and I too put them in yoghurt or have with a glass of milk. Like I said, it’s taken a few weeks to work, but I’m now regular, have no bloating, and (digestively, at least) feel great.

I should work for the Linseed Marketing Board (if there were such a thing!!)

Sarah

Thanks everyone - something to add to my shopping list.

I’m on amiltriptyline

I take half an ortisan tablet every night but sometimes doesn’t work. Only good thing is they taste ok.

Jen

Thanks for this I have just been on amazon to order some, I am definitely going to try them as they seem to work. Karen

l have often heard about the benefits of linseeds [flax] on here. l googled it and the best info l found was a site called www.stevensfarm.com/pages/faqs Surprised me to find out how good they are for you - [unless you have diverticulitis] There are lots of places you can buy them from. The seeds are supposed to be better for you - ground - then the oil. The seeds are high in Alpha-linolenic and phytoestrogens - a natural hormone replacement - and a guard against certain cancers. They are also high in B vitamins manganese magnesium zinc. The golden linseed is supposed to have a nuttier taste and can be used mixed with yoghurt/cereals and even for coating food instead of breadcrumbs. And sprinkled on salads.

l think l might get a small bag to try first - as you can buy it in quite large amounts - which is cheaper of cause. The local farm by us has sometimes grown linseed - it has a lovely blue flower. lts used mainly in animal feed - and l have used it for the horses. The oil l have used to preserve leather harness. lf it keeps leather supple and shiney - what can it do for me. Might keep the wrinkles at bay.

So thanks for reminding me about it - and yes you should be on commission Sarah!! Could you not still take your amitriptyline and the linseeds? Get the best of both.

F.