The sudden jerks

Does anyone else have this? its been happening for a good while and i just ignore it usually, but recently has got worse and more noticable, its almost like an over whelming feeling where you jerk and stretch, a bit like someone with touretts with a physical tick its often pain ful afterwards , although some are milder than others.

Thanks sorry if its a daft question

Michelle x

I don’t get jerks as such but I often get awful sensation when I have to move my leg (happens different sides never both at once). I can’t decide if I voluntarily move my leg to alleviate the sensation or if my leg moves involuntarily at the end of the sensation. It’s a slow, twisting, stretching movement so not a jerk, I consider a jerk to be a quick kicking of the leg or flinging of an arm. This can go on for a couple of hours or more mainly when seated although if I have to stand for any length of time ie in a queue it can happen to a lesser degree.

Such fun!

Jan x

1 Like

My entire body jerks every now and again. Don’t know what causes it, no warning just one big spasm which then goes away. It doesn’t cause me pain or anything so I don’t bother with it but if someone could explain it I’d be interested to hear. I don’t suffer from muscle spasms like many of you but sometimes my fingers or legs will develop a tremor. I can’t have muscle relaxants like Baclofen as my Neuro says I’ll lose my mobility as I rely on muscle spacticity. Isn’t ms a funny illness?

Hope you all have a good day, weather is gorgeous today in the Lakes. I’ve got to go for my Pneumonia jab today, stupid time of year to have it methinks but who am I to doubt the doctor??

Take care

Cath x

1 Like

I too get jerks, I say to my hubby its a bit like you have been struck by lightening, or what I imagine that would feel like.

Luckily I don’t get pain afterwards, but where it has happened tremors for a while afterwards.

Sorry I can’t offer any solution to it, take care.

Pam x

Hi Pam,

your right a bit like struck by lightening, at first i thought restless leg syndrome but its more than legs its arms face in fact any part of me but usually i feel a weird tired floppy feeling first and its as if im trying to jump back into life…can’t really explain it but its been bad recently.

Thanks Michelle x

1 Like

Thanks Cath,

I get the tremors too, iv’e had them for a few years this feeling is more recent but usually i feel floppy first .

I’m still waiting to be refered to see Dr that you recommended i’m just waiting for a report from the psycologist.

​Michelle x

1 Like

Thanks Jan,

i.m glad it isn’t only me

Michelle x

1 Like

Yes I get the jerks too and the whole body jerks… and the restless legs. That drives me mad. Esp bad in evenings.

Agree, the jerks are like being struck by lightening.

I tend to sleep with my hands near my face and often wake myself up by poking myself in the face!

My thumbs and fingers have a life of their own. They go to all night raves while the rest of me is home alone, asleep in bed.

Pat xx

1 Like

Being home alone every night is enough to make the mind imagine all sorts. My legs kick, but I’m not sure why. Usually when I try to stretch. It causes trouble. It’s quite bad at times. Especially if I catch the floor. Staying positive helps. Be good & stay happy Pat. Watch out for lightning.

1 Like

The jerks tend to come after I’ve been sitting still for a while and I make some gesture to moving. So lightning does strike twice or three times or a thousand etc. My wife usually says “It’s all in the best possible taste” as my legs flail involuntarily through the air. Seymour the cat chooses to temporarily leave the sofa.

Best wishes, Steve x

2 Likes

When I stretch in the morning, the whole bed vibrates due to my jerky leg, it’s a rotten reminder before I even try to get up!

Sonia x

2 Likes

Hello Michelle, it’s not a daft question

It is a violent tick or more like an electro chemical shock where the movement of sodium and potassium in the nervous system are misbehaving.

Usually when I think I’m safe in bed and when I least expect it, and reverberates through my body. My legs lock up and i can’t separate them for a time afterwards.

At this point I turn on the TV and watch …teleshopping !

Its sometimes easier to stay up and allow myself to fall asleep in on a chair. and then awake up able to stand up immediately.

However, the downside is my feet and ankles have grown out of proportion…

1 Like

Hello Michelle, it’s not a daft question

It is a violent tick or more like an electro chemical shock where the movement of sodium and potassium in the nervous system are misbehaving.

Usually when I think I’m safe in bed and when I least expect it, and reverberates through my body. My legs lock up and i can’t separate them for a time afterwards.

At this point I turn on the TV and watch …teleshopping !

Its sometimes easier to stay up and allow myself to fall asleep in on a chair. and then awake up able to stand up immediately.

However, the downside is my feet and ankles have grown out of proportion…

1 Like

Yep, I get them OHHH Do I get them funny at times when eating and you see that special bit of food you had saved on your plate disappear over the other side of the room.

Yep I get them.

XXX Don

1 Like

Glad it’s not only me then. Sometimes so bad Heather gets out of the bed, we only spend about ten minutes in bed together in the mornings and its like my MS gets jealous and does it to send her away.

Don

1 Like

Yes Don,

Iv’e got the visual image, you always make me laugh! …poor Heather, Lee calls it “saint vitus dance” not sure if thats how its spelt.

Michelle x

1 Like

Thanks Mrbup,

For me its like a shudder it comes over my whole body and i end up in a jerking stretching clenching spasm, even my face is affected… My mum always used to tell me when i was young that if you pulled faces and the wind changed you’d stay like that…do you think its coming true???

Michelle x

1 Like

Poor cat, probably scared of getting kicked!!!

Thanks Steve.

Michelle x

1 Like

Thanks Sonia

Michelle x

1 Like

Thanks Pat,

do you think its part of the ms? as you know still not sure what I am who I am still in fraudland just keep watching myself becoming deeper in the mire so to speak, " it is what it " Lee husband says… I think its floored me a bit having the ot come up and want to widen all the doors and make it accessable… I’m managing to a point crawling walking falling and trying to embrace it all and be joyful for what iv’e got but still fighting it at the same time… its funny I went on the train again yesterday and there was man sat near me in his powerchair, he was lovely we stuck up a conversation he’d been in a chair for 23 years he’d fallen 14 feet and badly damaged his spine, he was so up beat and cheerful and about a similar age to me…he said it would get easier and that now he doesn’t even think of himself as disabled…this low self esteem thing takes some beating doesn’t it.

Thanks for listening.

Michelle x

1 Like