that sinking feeling

hi there

sorry about the delicate nature of this post.

i’ve been constipated for a couple of weeks, been going but hard work if you know what i mean.

yesterday afternoon i went to the pub with my hubby (a seasoned drinker) and we came home quite late. after a couple of hours sleep i woke up with stomach ache. went to the loo and had a small poo but i knew it wasnt over yet. so i came downstairs and was chatting with my son (who keeps vampire hours) then my legs went icy cold and i thought i’d better get upstairs quick. by this time i had that sinking feeling. just in the nick of time i made it to the loo and it was as though i’d had an enema.

what worries me is how little notice i had and what if i’d been out? luckily i always have a tena lady on but still…?

too much information i know and apologies.

carole x

Hi Carole, have you thought about taking a laxative? That way you might be able to judge when you are going to go (ie if you take it at night you might go first thing in morning). Also if you were not constipated you might not get the urgency you had yesterday.

I suggest you go and have a chat with GP (who hears poo problems on a daily basis). There are some good laxatives out there. Also, I found that increasing the amount of fruit I eat has helped… plus a strong cup of real coffee first thing in morning!

Hope you get it sorted soon. It’s a difficult one and I know the dread of thinking you might not get to a loo in time.

Pat x

I find it easier to poo if my feet are on two upturned loo rolls - I actually thought I was going to become a multibillionaire from my fabulous invention until I googled and found ‘SquattyPotty’ and similar foot rising poo steps on t’Internet.

The two loo rolls is a far cheaper option though - and once you’ve emptied your bowel - you are far less likely to have an ‘accident’ .

xx

thank you for replying. i need to make an appointment with the continence nurse anyway.

dammit i remember the days when i used to make appointments with the hairdresser!

its great to be able to talk about these things knowing that you will be understood.

carole x

Hi Carole, bowels problems are a real pain for me too.sometimes quite literally.

They`ve been so severe lately that it has stopped me going out…and I only go out twice a week and really look forward to it.

2 weeks ago I was stuck and it took 2.5 hours to pass a particularly large stool. I was totally worn out!

I did think about Persiteen, but my GP is against it. Now I am the opposite…too loose! can`t win. This can also stop me going out.

I just wish I could find the happy medium.

My diet includes figs, prune juice, fresh fruit and all bran…oh and laxido too!

Good luck with your appointment.

luv POllx

Carole

I’m not an alcoholic but I do like a generous tipple.

I have suffered to extremes of constipation like you guys above.

Right now I am managing it the best I have since becoming unwell…in the main by eating high fibre and drinking gallons.

Every time I have a few alcoholic drinks I get the same experience of waking up in the early hours for a small session followed within around 4 hours a bit of a blowout. After suffering being so desperate unable to go for so long that I don’t really mind this happening. (I cant believe I am saying this,

I don’t drink a lot of alcohol as I’m conscious now of my health and to be honest I plan for the blowout now, which is ok for me as I’m still off work sick.

I’m not diagnosed but it seems strange that alcohol does exactly the same thing to me.

Gillian

I too have the same experience with alcohol, which is probably why I’ve had so many constipation issues now I’ve cut back on my drinking!

After experiencing constipation for the first time this year (am a once a day girl but didn’t go properly for three weeks!), I now take Movicol (one sachet in the morning) whenever I feel it rearing its ugly head. You just add it to water and it adds water to the stool so it’s easier to pass. It doesn’t harm your bowel in any way and it’s not something your body becomes dependant on to be able to ‘go’.

Hope this helps.

Mags xx

Hi

I am another MS person with this problem. Usually I am constipated but on the odd accasion have this problem. Not sure if you are on lots of meds but I had a relapse and was given oral steriods and also antibiotics for a chest infection. This may have contributed to my problems

My GP has prescribed Fybogel which I take daily. It has helped a little but I really need to change my diet. I think I suffer from some sort of acid reflux too

Take Care

Helen

x

Hi

I am another MS person with this problem. Usually I am constipated but on the odd accasion have this problem. Not sure if you are on lots of meds but I had a relapse and was given oral steriods and also antibiotics for a chest infection. This may have contributed to my problems

My GP has prescribed Fybogel which I take daily. It has helped a little but I really need to change my diet. I think I suffer from some sort of acid reflux too

Take Care

Helen

x