Stools. The sitting variety.

We have a mounting block that has several levels. A neighbour made it for me after seeing me struggle. lt has a rail at the back to hold onto. lts dismounting that l found difficult. Teddy seemed to realise l had a problem - and would always go straight into his stable with me and stand very still whilst l tried to slide off - with the rubber mats to cushion my descent. Since my hip and knee replacement ops l have not tried riding again. And now l have a very painful shoulder - so it looks as if my returning to riding will be delayed even more.

1 Like

Hi, sorry to hear that you’ve stopped now but your mounting block did sound amazing. I used to help in the Riding for the disabled class, they were only kids so I don’t think any topped 7 stone but it was still quite challenging at times. I wouldn’t envy anyone trying to get me on a horse now!

Next question, have you ever tried side-saddle? I’m just curious as I never did and now wonder if it might be the only way I could actually do horseback - but I guess you’d actually need really good balance, better than average, to stay on like that.

Sonia x

Sonia I watched them on Countryfile doing sidesadle and it looked good. I would never manage a horse anymore my legs wont part more than a couple of inches.

Perching stools I loved mine about ten years but have not been on it for about a year. I cant get out of the wheelchair as easy as I used to. I have a little stool in the bathroom so I can sit and shave.

Don

Just looked up Saddle Stool SCARY because I have no balance, I wont be using one of them any time soon

The Bambach Saddle stool is approved for use for MS’ers. lt is often advertised in the Pathways mag. As with all things for disabled use - they charge a fortune for it. Whereas you can get the same thing for much much less.

Strangely Don the shape of the seat keeps you in place…it’s honestly not scary! I chose one with a back because I felt I would need it for balance but to be honest, if I’d bought it new I would be kicking myself for paying the extra as it was I got mine on eBay for a fraction of the cost and it looked brand new! I would hate to manage without it, in the bathroom especially.

Nina x

Hi peeps,

Just reading through old threads and found this. I’ve looked at the Bambach model and my question is for those of you that use a saddle stool. I’m only a little 5 1" so was wondering how that would work if I want my feet on the ground and want to chop veg on my worktop. Anyone else tiny that has one?

Thank you

Oonagh

Xxx

Look for one that adjusts down to the height you need. You will have to get some one to measure you - whilst you are standing in your best John Wayne position. l am still dithering about getting one. ln my hall is a saddle on a stand - just thought of this - l will have a sit on it and see how l get on. lts there because it is an expensive saddle and we do not like to risk leaving it in the tack room - up the yard with all the others. l also have a western saddle - now that is like sitting in an armchair and the pommel on the front is good to hold onto. Just wish l could ride again. Keep thinking about it. Two pals went out this morning on my horses.

Hi,

Am just thinking that if its lower down due to my height that I won’t be able to reach the worktops properly. More research me thinks

Really feel for you not being able to do a thing you obviously love so very much. Walking was my love, walked 10 miles most days, now I just get to look at the fells from my living room

I hope you are still able to spend time with your horses even if its not riding them.

Oonagh

Xxx

Hi Oonagh,

I’m much taller than you so I can’t help from that point of view but you can raise and lower them! I don’t have any balance problems with the stool…the shape of it seems to hold you in place.

Spacejacket,

They are not really the exact shape of a proper saddle so don’t be put off if you don’t feel your riding saddle is right for you.

I think bambach will actually send a representative with a stool for you to try…it might be worth an email to the company to enquire?

I certainly wouldn’t want to be without mine, I mostly leave it in the bathroom and am actually contemplating buying another one for the kitchen. I wouldn’t pay the extra this time for one with a back…I thought it would help in terms of balance but it really isn’t necessary.

Hope that helps you both a little,

Nina x

Hi Steve

My Ot sent me a perching stool but not suitable for my kitchen as its a galley kitchen if l have te stool in you can not get past it there are a few in my mobility book with arm and backs just the legs are too wide for my kitchen hope you find one soon regards Jan

Hi Nina

Regarding raising and lowering the stool, I think if I have to raise it so I can reach my work tops I might end up with my legs dangling . Having a rep to come and demonstrate one sounds like a good idea. Will look into that.

Thank you Nina

Oonagh

Xxx