Forum

Steam Train (not MS, but not a joke either)

Well, I am still persevering with my daily walks, even though it’s a bit of a chore, and I have to force myself sometimes - OK, a lot of the time.

But occasionally, it pays off, with a bit of unexpected colour.

Today, I took one of several regular routes, along by the railway. As I crossed one of the bridges, I noticed a lot of people with cameras and tripods, so I asked: “Is there something special coming?”, and they said: “Yes! The steam train, The King Edward, but he’s already ten minutes late”

So I thought it was worth hanging on a few minutes, but then a regular diesel came through, so I knew he couldn’t be immediately behind that.

I was heading down to the station anyway, which is just behind my house, on the homeward leg of the walk, so I took a chance that if I walked briskly, I might be in time to see him at the station.

I was listening for chugging and whistles all the way, and hoping I wouldn’t be on a stretch obscured by high hedges or fences. But on the way, I passed several people still waiting with cameras, so I knew I hadn’t missed him.

I made it to the station, where there was quite a small crowd gathered, and waited there with them - minus camera, as I hadn’t gone out expecting any photographic opportunities.

I hadn’t been there more than five minutes, before I was rewarded with a distant whistle, and we knew he was coming.

The train then snaked into view, and came through whisting loudly, and all its passengers waving - on a special St. David’s day out. What a lovely day they’ve got for it!

All on the platform waved, and clicked the cameras, and said: “Wasn’t that fun?”

Which bizarrely, it was! I don’t know why it’s still exciting to see a steam train. I’m just about old enough to remember seeing one of the last ones in regular service, before they were withdrawn in 1969 - so I must have been under 3. Maybe it’s that childish nostalgia of watching for the train with Daddy, that still makes it thrilling today.

A bit better than my normal boring walk. If you force yourself, just occasionally, something happens to break up the monotony. If I’d decided I couldn’t be bothered to go out today, I wouldn’t have had my few seconds of excitement.

Tina

Hi Tina

Sounds like you had a very enjoyable walk today, am glad you got the opportunity to see it at close hand.

What a lovely day they have had, must have made thier trip very enjoyable.

I can imagine it bringing back childhood memories, how lovely.

Pam.

There is something about them isn’t there? Occasionally we used to get them going past here on a ‘special’ but not recently. Used to hear the whistle and there was just enough time to dash upstairs to the back bedroom window for the best view. Wonderful.

Hi Tina, sounds like you had a lovely day, what a nice surprise and I guess too, a reward for persevering with your walks and yes you are so right about being rewarded if you push yourself. Well done! I think as well, it probably was a bit of nogstalgia for you, I can’t remember steam trains myself. I’m having a smile to myself about you walking by the railway and crossing the bridge. When I was young we stayed beside the railway and I had to cross the footbridge to get to school. Brings back memories for me too, thanks! Cheryl:-)

Hi, what a lovely different post! Thankyou for sharing it with us.

Nostalgia is always rosy!

luv POllx

Hi All,

Just thought it was a little, unexpected interlude worth sharing.

My sister and brother (four years and eight years younger, respectively) can’t believe I’m old enough to remember the original steam trains, but I am.

I don’t think they were common, even then - I’m sure they must have been on the decline ages before they disappeared completely. But I do remember standing on a bridge with my dad - think he must have had to lift me up - and seeing one. I think I could even tell you which bridge, and where - it wasn’t near my home, but my grandparents’, so we must’ve been visiting. Or maybe that part is just fancy…

Yeah, nostalgia always is rosy, isn’t it?

Tina