SPC but bypassing from urethra

Hi I am wheelchair dependent and had a supra pubic catheter fitted in March. It works great no problems at all and drains ok.

The problem I have is since it was fitted I keep bypassing from urethra. I go to see my urologist in 2 months. Anyone experienced this or any recommendations of things that would help such as Botox etc is greatly appreciated thank you

Hi,

I find that drinking one freshly squeezed lemon, every day, plus 10mg Vesicare (5mg in the morning & 5mg at night) works for me. I dilute the lemon with a drop of water & a dash of lemon squash to take the sharpness away.

Hope that helps, I know it’s miserable leaking & having to keep getting washed & changed all the time!

Rosina

Hello to you both,

i am very interested to hear how you get on with the SPC as I am due to have mine done at the end of July, and am a little nervous about it. I have heard it is still possible to bypass with the SPC but is it still as uncomfortable as when it happens with an indwelling catheter? I have had it happen quite lot and I have constant discomfort too. All my my nurses have said that once the catheter is in you shouldn’t be aware of it at all. Is there anyone else who gets the constant feeling of the catheter digging in and all the associated discomfort that goes with it? Thank you for reading this. Any advice gratefully received.

Jackie

1 Like

Hi Jackie

I’ve had my SPC for over 6yrs now. I can honestly say, for me, it’s been brilliant, there’s no discomfort at all.

The only problem I had occasionally…was as I’ve described above, but that was soon sorted.

I had quite a few infections with the indwelling catheter & also found it very uncomfortable, just as you’ve said.

I’d say go ahead! Good luck!

Rosina

Thank you Rosina got your reply, that’s very reassuring news. I’ve not had many infections probably helped by the fact I’ve been on prophylactic antibiotics for some time. The problem I have had is the catheter actually falling out which happens regularly. It has even happened with the balloon still inflated which very painful as I have to, er, finish off job!!! I think this happening has caused trauma to the bladder hence all the pain. I’m sure a SPC will be better for me after all these mishaps.

Jackie

Hi folks, I am Wheelchair dependent & have had SPC for just over a year. I find if I use added pressure on my bowel when passing a motion naturally. I sometimes bypass via ureathra but I mainly use the Peristeen method. At preasent, I’m not overly worried at the occasional small bypass from ureathral. I do take 10mg Veticare per night. Lemon or Lime in a G&T summer evenings is a must! I must say a SPC has been great for me for year of painfull, uncomfortable UIC!

Hi Dizzy,

i didn’t know about the Peristeen method so I’ve just read up on it. I would not be unable to do this for myself so who could I get to help me? Is it something the district nurse would do? I appreciate your advice

Jackie

Hi Jackie, I contacted the Bladder & Bowel Clinic Nurse in my local district who recommended Peristeen for me to try. If you cannot manage yourself a Community Nurse will be contacted by B&B Nurse to visit on a regular basis.

Hi Dizzy,

I ncontacted my continence clinic today and the nurse is coming out to see me tomorrow. I explained the problems I’m having so at least I’ll be able to discuss things with her tomorrow.

I have another question about the SPC. Sorry to be so basic but how is it when you have to poo? It is at these times I feel like the indwelling catheter is coming out, and it has,’ and it’s not through straining too hard. Do you find it easier to have a normal poo without an indwelling getting in the way? Sorry it’s a gross subject!!!

Jackie

1 Like

Hi Jackier, Good for you getting a continence nurse to visit & discuss your issues. Regards my SPC it’s been fine, mostly certainly when I use peristeen. The odd occasion when I pass a motion naturally, if I happen to be constipated. I have been known to void a little urine out of my ureatha. The actual SPC stays intacked. Hope that helps.

Hi Dizzy,

All your answers have been a great help so thank you for taking the time to reply.

I will be relieved to talk things through with the nurse tomorrow and see what ideas she has.

Jackie