Royal Mail "Delivery to Neighbour" Service

Anyone else have a bit of an issue with this?

For those who don’t know, from September, Royal Mail are trialling a scheme whereby your parcels can be delivered to a neighbour if you aren’t in, and conversely theirs delivered to you, unless you explicitly opt out.

At first glance, this seems like a pretty sensible idea, and one most people would go along with.

But then I thought about it a little more, and realised I am home most days, but neighbours are out. So I’d probably end up taking a lot of the mail, and then having the nuisance of having to drop it round to them, or a stream of people coming to collect. As I’m unwell with MS, I don’t want this. I already don’t open the door to callers sometimes, because I’m “resting”.

Royal Mail do give you the option to opt out, but you have to display a sticker on the front door! I think this is wrong, as I do not see why I should have to advertise to neighbours that I declined to take their mail. Many of the neighbours have no idea I have MS (I am fortunate in that it does not show), so will not know why I’m reluctant to take their parcels. So I guess I’m faced with having to explain to all and sundry WHY, or just be thought of as unneighbourly.

Seems a bit of a cheek that you can’t opt out without having to put a flag on the door about it. Should be a purely personal decision, and not one you have to reveal or justify to anyone.

Tina

-and what of the less savoury neighbours who may never have received such parcel?

I too am miffed by this assumption that anyone can take in parcels. We often get knocks for massive bikes wrapped, large bulky items. I have to unopen my garage, whether tired, fatigued or wobbly so my neighbours get their parcels. Plus unopen the darn garage again so they can take a nosey at what is in there then take their items. I didnt sign up for a drop off point for parcels and I too dont want to put any sticker anywhere, apart from the postal authorities a.ses.

This world is getting ever more crazy - and dont get me started on the ESA debacle - the disabled already are having a rough time of things - and its only just starting. Im appointee for my son, and even he cannot stand all the stress just listening to me trying to wrangle through the system.

bren

x

Without asking, most of your neighbours will probably assume you don’t want to receive parcels because you’re a woman living on your own and don’t want to have strange postmen knocking on your door, and/or visitors at odd times of day.

Personally, I absolutely love having people’s parcels delivered, especially big ones. All the joy of ownership of a large package without the worry of what to do with the contents and wrapping long term The funny thing is that the recipients ALWAYS reveal what’s been delivered when they call to collect, which does make me laugh! I did draw the line a few years back when a courier wanted me to take in a neighbour’s sports car tyres; they had to stay outside the front door, never mind how much they were worth.

Now, I’ve got a house number sign and a stockpot being delivered (separately) this week and I’m expecting to be out at post time. I wonder which lucky neighbour’s going to take them in for me…

Lolli xx

Try and get more info from royal mail, seems like a cop out by them, must all be figures, quotas and KPIs and methods to hit targets. Mist be from ATOS as RM use them foe OH services.

Can’t say I’d see much difference, I was always taking parcels in for my neighbour, (sometimes she was actually in, just had some aversion to opening the door, not agrophobic or anything, just an addiction to QVC) I got to the point of waiting for her son to come and get them, mind you usd to get a lot for him as well, he seemed to be addicted to ebay, really don’t think a sign saying no would be effective…doesn’t stop them with flyers, junk mail,plastic bags and cold calling, why would the postie (responsible for enough junk mail themselves) take a blind bit of notice, they’d just say they didn’t see it.

But if you don’t want to accept the parcel, just don’t. I can’t see why you have to have a sticker on your door, when/if the postman asks if you can take the parcel for a neighbour, just say no I can’t. Many people will not take in parcels for neighbours.

I already take mail and parcels for my 2 neighbours which I don’t mind but there was a problem with a parcel at Christmas as the neighbour didn’t collect it and I couldn’t carry it. My daughter ended up taking it round and my neighbour had not received a card through her door. My neighbours are ok but I don’t know them that well, it’s all very well leaving parcels with me but I can see some problems with this idea for us disabled, as you say we’re at home more than others and could be blamed if things go missing.

Wendy x

Our postman has been doing this for years - he will even take letters to post from some of the elderly. He knows to sign for my LDN if l do not get to open the door. Can’t always hear the doorbell if l am in the kitchen/garden. And my two rotties do not bark at him just sit in the window grinning!!

But l can understand Tina’s concern - l should think if you explained to your postman your feelings he would make sure you don’t get ‘lumbered’ with other peoples parcels.

My postman said it is the parcels - mainly from ebay - that is keeping the Royal Mail going.

F.

As Broushka advises - just say no.

A regular postie would remember that you are not the local collection office, you wouldn’t need a sticker.

My issue with this is other people taking in parcels for me.

What happens if you have a dishonest neighbour who takes in the parcel, and then pretends that no parcel was ever delivered?

What happens if the neighbour with whom the parcel has been left is out, or is away on holiday or business?

As for taking in parcels for other people, if you don’t want to you can just say no the postman or courier. You don’t have to have a sticker on your door, and you are certainly not under any legal obligation to take in mail for other people.

See, I’m fortunate with this. There is unlikely to be anyone in during the day at our house so I have my parcels delivered to my workplace or to my Mother in Law’s shop which is an ‘open all hours’ affair.

Perhaps if there is a chance that you won’t be home to collect the parcel ask a friendly neighbour if you could use their house as a delivery address or specify a workplace address for you or a family member?

Hi

The local postman and seemingly delivery people noted I am often home during the day. Consequently I was becoming the neighbourhood delivery person.

At first I was happy to be neighbourly. Then, it became a very regular occurrence and some people I had taken parcel delivery for didnt have the courtesy to even pick up their parcels so OH had to deliver them. Also, what postman and delivery folk didn’t take into account was because the parcels were at our home I was tripping over the parcels, moving them (or trying to!) so I could clean, to get in and out of our home, ect.

THen one day the delivery guy came to the house and once again i had struggled to the door when I was unwell only to see him again and I told him firmly, no more knocking on my door for others as the wheelchair ramp should be an indication that it is not easy for me to take or deliver other people’s packages especially when often the neighbours didn’t even bother to retrieve them.

No sticker and no further problems but one of the neighbours has been distinctly cool, the one who didn;t bother to get their package from our home and was terse with OH when he delivered because OH had interrupted dinner.

Some people.

Tu

Must admit I’d worry if the two monthly delivery of incontinence pads went to my next door meighbours or the ones after them, not the friendliest of neighbourhoods round here. Thought this had happened last week (not Royal Mail) but then fortunately found they’d heaved them over the back garden gate.