quick question

I have had urge incontinence for the past 2 year so my neurologist wanted a sample dipping and sending off for testing. Nothing on dip but its come backthat I have a uurine infection and need antibiotics but have no symptoms of burning, needing toilet more etc. Anyone else had random infection found like this and did the urge incontinence clear up with the antibiotics or not?

I’ve had urge incontinence (sing ‘run to the loo my darling!’) and a UTI infection but still occassionally have the former now the infection is clear. But it could be the after effects of a difficult birth nearly 5 years ago. I’m not yet diagnosed so am keeping an open mind (and toilet lid) with this symptom.

I have just been diagnosed. One of my symptoms is urge incontinence…sometimes I get no warning. Spine MRI showed a lesion…neuro suggest this could be whats causing incontinence. Speak to your ms nurse Anon if you have one. Mine has given me some good advice on things I could do to try and improve things. Not had any urine infections…yet. Good luck and I hope things improve for you. Noreen x

Sorry! first sentenced should have said diagnosed with MS.

Hi Anon! Before I was officially diagnosed with RR MS, approx 12 months before, I experienced a frustrating couple of months experiencing Bladder Urgency and Bladder Frequency. I was given a number of antibiotics and none of them seemed to make a difference. The final ‘dip test’ came back clear, but I was still experiencing symptoms. Long story short, I would eventually, (June 2013) be diagnosed with MS, after suffering a suspected TIA (Transcient Ischaemic Attack). Low and behold, I now know that bladder related conditions are not uncommon in MS. The reason for this is that if you have an area of demyelination on your Spinal Chord, it can cause the nerve messages to your Bladder to get blocked or interrupted. In general, damage to the Spinal Chord can cause any of the following a) Spasticity b) Bladder problems c) Bowel problems d) Muscle weakness. Not surprisingly, I initally presented with Bladder problems, then muscle weakness, then spasticity; all thanks to that lovely looking lesion sitting on my spinal chord! x

May I ask, since we’re on the subject, does anyone experience a…how shall I put it…stuttering flow after having rushed to the loo? Sometimes I get there and end up sitting for ages releasing just a bit at a time. This is without an infection, or at least, no pain or discomfort. If I have a UTI I’m unaware of it. Often made worse by reading whilst enthroned :wink:

Thanks everyone I do think its odd I have no infection symptoms but they said one grew in lab. I also have to rock after passing urine to make sure my bladder is empty otherwise when I stand up I realise my legs are wet where I obviously haven’t completely emptied my bladder. I also have had 2 episodes of faecal incontinence in the past year :-(. Interesting about lesions being on the spine causing it. I am yet to be diagnosed waiting mri date

[quote=“Reikiblossom”] May I ask, since we’re on the subject, does anyone experience a…how shall I put it…stuttering flow after having rushed to the loo? Sometimes I get there and end up sitting for ages releasing just a bit at a time. This is without an infection, or at least, no pain or discomfort. If I have a UTI I’m unaware of it. Often made worse by reading whilst enthroned :wink: [/quote] Its possible posture could have something to do with intermittent flow…it happens to me also…although I dont read on the throne lol. If your maybe sitting forward on the toilet then a certain amount of pressure would be applied to the bladder…constipation can cause the same effect. You think you’ve finished, sit up straight then low and behold you start another flow. Try sitting up straight when your reading dear Seriously though, maybe you should mention it next time you see your GP or nurse. Good luck Noreen x

Hi Reikiblossom- I should have mentioned that too! I also experience that! I feel that I need to go but when I sit on the throne, it takes ages to appear. I have to make a conscious effort to stay extra relaxed and that seems to help. From a scientific MS perspective, this is another classic Bladder symptom in MS which I should have mentioned earlier. The four classic Bladder problems are :- 1) Frequency, 2) Urgency, 3) Hesitancy, 4) Incontinence. You and I both experience 3) Hesitancy which is a difficulty in starting to urinate. It’s all to do with the stimulation, or not of the nerve endings in the Detrusor Muscle which makes up the Bladder.

Hi Reikiblossom- I should have mentioned that too! I also experience that! I feel that I need to go but when I sit on the throne, it takes ages to appear. I have to make a conscious effort to stay extra relaxed and that seems to help. From a scientific MS perspective, this is another classic Bladder symptom in MS which I should have mentioned earlier. The four classic Bladder problems are :- 1) Frequency, 2) Urgency, 3) Hesitancy, 4) Incontinence. You and I both experience 3) Hesitancy which is a difficulty in starting to urinate. It’s all to do with the stimulation, or not of the nerve endings in the Detrusor Muscle which makes up the Bladder.

Blossom - you’re absolutely right, I do hunch over when reading on the loo. I’ll try improving my posture. Ought to know better…tai chi student an’ all! Tracyann - I’m not yet diagnosed but do have many symptoms that tick the possible MS boxes. Like not being able to type straight. Thank goodness for the delete button!