Profiling beds

Hello to you all and can I have your opinions/thoughts on profiling beds. My Neuro Rehab Consultant thinks I would benefit from one as I my pelvis, hips and legs seize up after lying in one position over night. As an ex nurse the NHS ones never looked comfortable, do you think I should buy one myself.

Hi Jennie

I am sorry I dont know the answer, but Poll (Boudica) has got one, so I am sure she will be abke to help. She is away this week, but if you repost next week I would think she would answer.

Pam x

Hi Jennie! I’ll be able to tell you in a couple of weeks time! We’ve ordered 2 single beds that we can push together, from a company called Laybrook. We saw them at Naidex. I’m hoping for good results. I had an 8 week spell in hospital recently and became very fond of my hospital bed and all it could do. I found the leg/foot raising part very useful, and a small amount of lift at head and feet helped me a lot for sleeping on my back and on my side. I had to have a sort extension on the hospital cot, to fit me- I’m 6’ 3’'. The new beds are also going to be longer than usual. I think you’d really appreciate the ability to change position easily in the night. Kev x

Thanks for you help, changing position through the night doesn’t pose a problem as I don’t appear to move. This morning I’ve had no problem, no pain or stiffness and done all sorts of minor chores already, it’s only 08.30. How, I increased my BACLOFEN by 5mg. My GP has allowed me to tweak my meds as I don’t have a MS nurse.

The profiling beds are really good, lifting you into a sitting position, legs lifting etc. I’ll definitely get one when I need one. At the moment I’m okay with the bed lever, helps me shuffle to the edge of the bed and get up safely.

Kev you can get electric double beds, have you looked into that? I don’t know just how many functions they have or whether they’d be suitable for you, the idea of the bars causing mattresses not to meet doesn’t appeal to me. I hope you’re happy with them when they arrive though.

Cath xx

I think I got my wires crossed with my answer! I have an electric bed that raises both head and feet, and wouldnt be without it, but I thought by a profiling bed, you meant one that raised the whole bed, so a carer does nit have to bend.

Sorry for my brain fog…b++++y ms.

Pam x

[quote=“Min”]

The profiling beds are really good, lifting you into a sitting position, legs lifting etc. I’ll definitely get one when I need one. At the moment I’m okay with the bed lever, helps me shuffle to the edge of the bed and get up safely.

Kev you can get electric double beds, have you looked into that? I don’t know just how many functions they have or whether they’d be suitable for you, the idea of the bars causing mattresses not to meet doesn’t appeal to me. I hope you’re happy with them when they arrive though.

Cath xx

[/quote] Aha, but we got two singles because they will bend in different places for Ruth (5’ 0") and me (6’ 3"). It also enables someone to get to me on both sides of the bed for physio etc. Clever, no?

[quote=“skippysprite”]

I think I got my wires crossed with my answer! I have an electric bed that raises both head and feet, and wouldnt be without it, but I thought by a profiling bed, you meant one that raised the whole bed, so a carer does nit have to bend.

Sorry for my brain fog…b++++y ms.

Pam x

[/quote] Sorry, yes I meant electric beds.

[quote=“kevadams”] [quote=Min]

Cath xx

[/quote] Aha, but we got two singles because they will bend in different places for Ruth (5’ 0") and me (6’ 3"). It also enables someone to get to me on both sides of the bed for physio etc. Clever, no?[/quote]

Ah yes, I can see the logic there. Well done you, you’ve obviously got more working brain matter than me. I don’t have to share my bed (except with the dog) so that wouldn’t have occurred.

Take care

Cath xx