PPMS & Cateracts Removal

Hi there, it’s CC here from the older Site.

Make yourself comfy, I write comprehensive mssgs :-).

I’d appreciate all opinions about Cateracts removal for ppl with PPMS.

Before ppms diagnosis, I’d worn Varifocal lenses specs for years, I even had multi focal contact lenses (but dry eye syndrome soon put a stop to that).

Approx 6 yrs after PPMS diagnosis, my left eye lost some side vision. It has deteriorated & I now have no peripheral vision in my left eye.
Cloudy and jagged vision has got worse.

A few months ago, my left eyelid felt stuck & didn’t open at same time as right eye. It does open but feels like I need to really concentrate to open my left eye. Sometimes, just a blink gets stuck!

My latest eye test shows Cateracts (explains cloudy sight).
I first thought to go private for both eyes & my natural eye lenses would be removed & replaced with the new multi focal and permanent lens. Possibly no need to wear specs at all! Wonderful but costs £8,000.

Or, choose mono lens & only need reading glasses. (Costs total £4,250) & still need reading glasses.

So, because of ppms & its continued deterioration, I wonder which option to actually choose and I really hope you wonderful ppl can give your opinion.
Of course the NHS option is free but they only do single vision & I’d need reading glasses plus a long waiting list.

Hope I’ve not bored you to sleep & look forward to honest opinions.

Love to all, Chrissie X

Hi CC

No advice unfortunately but will be interested in any replies as the optician has said I have cateracts forming.

Take care

Pam x

Hi I have had cataracts removed from both eyes with no problems.
Sue

Cheers Sue 84 (were you Sssue on old site).

What type lenses did you have, mono or multi lens.

I think multi lens option is relatively new but no glasses at all afterwards is the major benefit.

As you had no problems, which type would you recommend?

Thanks SO much Sue.

Chrissie x

Hi not Sssue. I had my cateracts removed on NHS at Moorfields Hospital but was only offered a mono lens. The surgeon felt I would only need glasses for reading but as I was used to varifocals I am finding it annoying to keep putting specs on and off. Given a choice I would definitely go for multi lenses but that option was not open to me eighteen months ago.
Sue

Cheers Sue, I’d have been the same if this problem started when yours did. Multi focal seem the best option but not available on NHS due to cost.
My concern is continued deterioration through ppms & existing eye/vision problems.

I really hope you’re getting used to on/off specs.
Chrissie x

Hiya Pam, I’m seeing my gp in Sept for his opinion. I’ll let you jnow honey.
Chrissie x

1 Like