PIP Update

That’s brilliant news Irons. I am really pleased for you.

Atos dealt with my assessments when I retired through ill health and they were really clued up on MS like you say. I had 3 different assessments with three different assessors and they were very supportive all the way through.

Enjoy your good news.

I’m waiting for my brown envelope to pop through the door. Dreading it to be honest.

Shazzie xx

I can do that? I didn’t know that. I do have intentions to email my MS nurse anyway, as I’ve just started on Tecfidera and wanted to let her know that’s going ok so far. And, I’ll be needing to send another doctor’s note off the Wolverhampton at the end of this month, so I’ll get a few minutes on the phone with a doc for that, so I’ll ask at that point too, hopefully!

I’m writing myself post-its right now! Thanks Jan!

I’m kind of doubtful that these would help much, because I’ve not seen a doctor since before I was diagnosed in August of 2013. My contact with them is booking a phone appointment to get a new certificate, and depending on which one I talk to that can involve a few questions about my MS, or basically, “you have MS? Right. You want this note to be for how long? Ok, it’ll be at the desk ready for collection later, bye”. So what would they say in a letter like that?

I’m just flapping because I don’t know what will happen, I know this, but it’s tough not to. I have to remind myself that I’m not expecting anything from this anyway, and to just go with the flow and not worry. Easier said than done though, isn’t it!

Hi Jellysundae I had my pip assessment on wednesday I took all the corespondence I had and my medications as requested but the assessor just thumbed through them and handed them back she didn’t even look at the medications. She talked through my conditions and how I was managing them then asked me to stand and try to touch my feet (mid thigh was her lot) she tested upper arm strength and leg strength and that was about it. I think they had already got a report or letter from my GP as he mentioned about a month ago he’d been asked for one. The forms are a nightmare so give yourself plenty of time I had to as brain kept melting down Good Luck Sue

Thanks Stella!

That kind of reinforced my feelings that claiming’s going to turn out to be a waste of time. I can touch my toes ok, I just tried. If those are the kind of tests you get I’m likely to be able to manage all of them.

The main reason I was convinced by the Job Centre lady to claim, was the fact that I can’t do my shopping “normally” any more. I shop online and use home delivery, because while I can probably walk to the supermarket without incident. I can’t carry bags of groceries home safely. Carrying any significant amount of weight really impacts on my ability to walk safely/balance.

I went over to Aldi with my mum this week (2nd time this year, wow!), had to hold her arm though. It’s a 7 minute stroll to Aldi, but I took hold of mum’s arm when we first got out onto the pavement outside my flat as the camber was making very unsteady. Last time I managed without having to hold on.

I tried with a bag in each hand as we came out, but I was veering all over the place. neither bag was heavy, I wasn’t buying 4 pinters of milk and kilos of spuds or anything, they’d had a bit of heft, that’s all. So mum had to hold 3 in one hand so I could hold her arm again, and I was lurching because of the one bag I had in my free hand affecting my balance.

But something like that can’t be demonstrated by some tests done in an office, can it.

Plus I’m back to stressing a bit about correspondence again. The only letter that I have that talks about the MS is one from a neuropsychologist that I saw 2 years ago. What other stuff I’ve got kicking about is just appointment letters, pretty much. Is that what you take with you?

Jellysundae thay asked questions about how I shop(don’t have internet hubby and daughter though they can often buy what they want not what they are told !!!) She saked about correspondence handling bills (mine are all done by bank memory shot) How I can manage money and if I have problems recognising change etc and managing budgets. I haven’t got a diagnosis yet in fact don’t see neruo until September just took the copies of letters from the pain management clinic and the neurosurgeon I saw before he retired and didn’t review me she barely looked at them. You have to try the fact that you need your Mum with you and theat you can’t carry things has to count for something. I now use 2 crutches and she asked how I managed whith shopping so I pointed out I couldn’t carry it I didn’t have a spare hand. They seem more interested in how your condition affects various activities.Sorry my eyes and brain are tired Hubby took me out to get some garden furniture (shop soiled of course) but now I am shattered. The forms take time I can’t remember what I wrote in November and I have got worse since then so apply the worse they can say is no.I’m not too hopeful myself but welfare rights persuaded me to apply they thinkI should get something so I tried if I don’t I won’t be appealing anyway Hope this helps Sue

1 Like

That does help! Thank you Sue :smiley: Thank you for the helpful answer despite be so tired, you take a rest! D:

I have had a very nice lady come out to assess me. She made me feel very relaxed while asking lots of questions about me and how my illness (even though it hasnt a label) affects me and my life. She then did a very quick check on my legs and after roughly an hour we were done.

She cannot say how the outcome will go but said I can appeal if it`s a no. She was great and made me feel very relaxed I hope your experiences are the same??

So it’s basically all down to your assessor then. In the lap of the gods! Let’s hope mine’s a good person :slight_smile:

Mine asked how far I can walk, how quickly and with how many stops, she has a chart in her office which she applies the info to and submits that with the rest of her notes which will then be assessed and the decision made. Normally she said it takes upto but no more than 8 weeks to have a decision.

Regards

Ian

Don’t forget to keep a copy of any forms you send in, if you get CAB to do them they will do a copy for you.

Jan x