Forum

Panic button

I need some body to give me advice on a panic button. I fall a lot and I have to shout for help. I have been lucky so far because some body is arround, but whet if there not? They say I should have a panic button. Are they free? Wheres the best place to go for one? Please give me advice,

Derek

Hi Derek, you should speak to your local community services department who should have a community alarm scheme.  Up here in Moray, there is a charge of about £20 per quarter but the peace of mind is worth its weight in gold.  That is the direction I would head first of all

Willie

[quote=“derekch”]

I need some body to give me advice on a panic button. I fall a lot and I have to shout for help. I have been lucky so far because some body is arround, but whet if there not? They say I should have a panic button. Are they free? Wheres the best place to go for one? Please give me advice,

Derek

[/quote] hi derek

i got a doro phone which has a panic button on it. just chose who you want it to ring or text in an emergency and it will activate when you press the button. you can get them with a wrist strap or a neck cord. wish iid hhad mine n when i got stuck outside in a snow storm! it is quite sensitive but there again so are panic buttons.

x

Hi Derek.

We purchased an emergency dial out telephone from (Ideal World TV shopping channel), for the mother-in-law, I cant remember the exact price, but I think it was just under or just over forty pounds. That’s it, no on going subscription charges

It is very simple, it can be used as a normal phone, but in addition, you prerecord a help message on it, may be, !!This is Derek, I have fallen and need help!!, you then have a small emergency button you carry around with you, if you need help, a three second press on the button will start the phone into auto dial mode, it will dial up to three different numbers which you have programmed in, one after the other, if the first person on the dial list answers, this will stop the dialling sequence, if not it will continue the sequence until one of the numbers is answered. You of course have agreed with the people at the three numbers beforehand and advised them what will happen. When one of the numbers is answered, your phone automatically goes into hands free speaker mode, so the person answering your distress call can reassure you that they are on their way or arranging help for you.

Note you cannot programme in 999, for emergency services.

Sorry if I have made this sound complicated, but trust me it is very simple.

Take care.

Chris R.

I. El. (Eng). (Rtd).

Social services offered me the panic alarm for free.

They can also fit a key  holder,it goes somewere on the outside of your home with a spare key inside,a four digit code is set by something you will remeber like year of birth.They can then gain entry to your home if you have a fall.

An elderly neigbour had them both fitted by social services.But often when the fireservice,police,or social services they didnt know or understand what she was asking for so they knocked my door.It was usaly she just wanted the bathroom and go to bed,I knew her routine so while others watched on I got her sorted.She was then happy.

Charlie,x

Age Concern fit their Aid-Call for about £50, I think.  Panic button to wear on a string, base station, 20 hour telephone service, regular review of your contact numbers for them to contact in an emergency etc.  They are very good.  I got one fitted for a relative and it has come in handy more than once.   To save having to give your chosen local contacts a key,  you can get a key safe fitted and just give them a note of the code.  I recommend also giving Aid-Call have a note of the code, so that they can enable emergenct services to get in if there is an emergency that friends/neighbours can't get to.  If social services do not fit a key safe for you for free, they will tell you who they use and you can engage them privately.  About £60, when I last had it done.

Alison

x

In the meantime while you sort a panic button I would advise that you always have your mobile in your pocket.

Pip