Forum

Ms hug

Please can anyone explain what it is like,is it in your chest at the front or in your back does it come and go the pain.Where actually is it located.How long does it last for.as I have had pains in the top of my back near my lungs and doctor said it is a pulled muscle.It is like a stabbing pain when I breath in,and it hurts when I move.Any one get same sort of pain. Thanks

I am sure you will get as many answers as you get posts. For me the "Hug"hits me square in the chest. I remember on several occasions feeling like I couldn’t take a deep breath, the first time I actually went to the emergency room thinking I was having a heart attack. The pain does come and go and does last upward to several hours or just several minutes. I have also noticed quite a dull ache iin my lower cack as well, but not as pronounced.

I know this doesn’t help much, but remember this, you are NOT alone in this feeling.

Keep your chin up!

Greg

Hi, here is a ‘copy & paste’ list of tips which I hope will help:

It’s a spasm of the small muscles between the ribs. Here are some tips that might help:

· It can go all around your rib area, or only in part of rib area… up high on ribs or low down on ribs… or it can be only on one side of ribs

· It can feel tight without pain, or it can be tight and painful

· It can last only a few minutes, or go on for hours or sometimes longer

· Sometimes the affected area will be extremely itchy

· Much worse in heat

· Much worse when fatigued or stressed

· Don’t wear a bra (it irritates the muscles)

· Don’t wear tight clothing… the looser the better

· Avoid large meals… little and often is better

· Lie down in/on bed if you can… and lying completely flat often helps me… although some people find lying down makes it worse… so try different positions to see if one works better for you

· Take 2 Paracetamol… if you are not on other pain med’s… or try one Paracetamol & one Ibuprofin (no more than 3 times a day)

· Try controlling your breathing… deep in through the nose and slowly blow out of mouth… and try and relax whole body while doing it

· Stay as cool as you can but don’t have cold shower… luke warm is better

· Rest, rest, rest and then get some more rest (if at all possible)

· Gently rub the affected area. It might feel like it’s bruised… don’t worry, that’s normal

· Recently I’ve discovered that if I eat something small, eg bowl of cereal, it seems to relieve the hug for a while. Not sure why but it’s worth trying.

· I have read that some people find relief by tying something tight around the affected area (a scarf maybe). So it might be worth trying to see if it works for you.

· Don’t take it for granted that it’s the ‘hug’. It might be indigestion (which can be extremely painful) or something else going on. See your GP, MS nurse or neuro if you are not sure.

· If you think it might be heart pain call 999. It doesn’t matter if it turns out to be ‘hug’… better safe than sorry.

Pat x