Does the hug ever only last for 24 hours? I had pain round my ribcage below my boobs for a full day, it hurt to take a deep breath and I felt like I needed to hold my ribs. Thanks
Mine lasts a lot less than that (assuming what I get IS the MS hug, of course). I tend to get it from a couple of hours, to a few, almost always at night. I’ve never had it a whole 24 hours. I’ve never had it regularly, either. For me, it tends to be something that just crops up now and again - not a permanent problem.
Hi Anon, like Tina, mine usually lasts a few hours… although I have occasionally had it for about 8 hours. I have read of people having it longer though.
See your GP just in case it’s not hug… although must admit it sounds like it.
Below is a copy & paste list of tips which I hope will help.
It’s a spasm of the small muscles between the ribs. Here are some tips that might help:
· It can go all around your rib area, or only in part of rib area… up high on ribs or low down on ribs… or it can be only on one side of ribs
· Much worse in heat
· Much worse when fatigued or stressed
· Don’t wear a bra (it irritates the muscles)
· Don’t wear tight clothing… the looser the better
· Avoid large meals… little and often is better
· Lie down in/on bed if you can… and lying completely flat often helps
· Take 2 Paracetamol… if you are not on other pain med’s
· Try controlling your breathing… deep in through the nose and slowly blow out of mouth… and try and relax whole body while doing it
· Stay as cool as you can but don’t have cold shower… luke warm is better
· Rest, rest, rest and then get some more rest (if at all possible)
· Gently rub the affected area. It might feel like it’s bruised… don’t worry, that’s normal