MRI of brain and cervical spine.

Hi I’ve left this a bit late for a response as I’m having it tonight but was wanting to know how long these take? It’s 2007 when I had my last one and thought it was around 20 mins to half an hour but when I look on line some people have stated 2hours plus. If anyone’s around and knows I would be grateful.x

Don’t worry, I don’t think it will be anything like two hours - unless something happens, like you keep moving, and they can’t get clear pictures. As long as you are able to stay reasonably still, they shouldn’t have to repeat batches.

I was only in there about 50 minutes total, for brain and complete spine, right down to pelvis, with and without contrast (you come out briefly, halfway, for them to inject the contrast, then go back in again).

I can’t see how it could possibly take 2 hours plus, for a more localised scan. I think you’re right with your first guess of 20 minutes to half an hour.

Tina

Thanks Tina, I’m just having cervical spine and I don’t think with contrast that was never mentioned, thank you so much for replying, I will hopefully keep still lol don’t want to be having it redone.

Had one last month, took a good hour, very boring! Remember to put warm socks on!

I’ve had four head and full spine with contrast MRIs. The time varies, but they were all between 35 and 50 minutes, if that helps.

Sorry, that should say between 45 and 50 minutes.

Thanks, well it lasted 25-30 mins, long enough, he had to redo one as I coughed, well it was cough or choke lol

Hi Deanne,

That’s not too bad - about as guessed, then?

I always get cramp in there. It doesn’t help that it’s part of the underlying condition anyway, and then it’s so cold in there.

Had to have some X-rays recently (not MS) and same problem. Had to old leg, arm etc. in particular positions, and I was going: “Quick, do it quick! I can’t hold it, I can’t hold it…I’m getting cramp! Aaaaagggghh!”

Tina

x