Mood swings

Hi All,

Hope you are all feeling well.

I struggle a lot with mood swings. I don’t get overly angry or low, but I can feel stressed or upset really easily and often without explanation. I never used to get like this, but since my diagnosis it has progressively got worse. I was diagnosed when I was 18 and am now 23 and have never had any major problems coping with the disease, luckily. I do however feel that this is one thing that I do struggle with, and I wondered if anyone else is in a similar position. I feel like it affects my relationships with people, because I go from being fine to feeling stressed up for no real reason and although I try to hide it, I end up going quiet.

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.

xxxxx

Hi gb152,

Like you I’m fairly young with MS and I too suffer with a feeling of uncontrollable stress, except mine ends in me flying into a rage, being spiteful with my toung and hurting the ones I love, then I cry. It is so hard because I know I’m doing it and I just can’t control it. I was actually looking for some kind of support group or counciling when I came across your post and it’s nice to know I’m not alone.

I was diagnosed with MS two years ago at the age of 23 and my symptoms have subsided for now. But I feel like I am living my life with a constant sense of doom of when i might wake up and the MS might have finally got me. I know this sounds so self obsessed to say all this when there are people struggling with the condition in a lot worse ways than me, so I keep telling myself to man up and get on with my life, but it’s not doing me any good, it’s just making me an angry person who isn’t enjoying life. My partner has recently walked out and left me because he can’t handle my mood swings anymore and he has become scared of me, I’m really ashamed. I’m going to try and get some counciling, maybe it would help you to talk too?

Sorry if this is all a little heavier than you expected. I just wanted you to know that you aren’t alone and I’d appreciate your thoughts.

Thank xxx

Hi sorry you are feeling so rough, I know how hard it is to cope with mood swings. You are coping at such a young age with an enormous burden. The what if’s must be very trying. I am considerably older than you and struggle with depression and have stupid thoughts going through my head.### I would recommend you have a chat with your GP they may be able to put you in touch with someone who can help.

Trying to stay positive is difficult I have started doing “100 happy days” on Facebook, everyday post what you are happy for I haven’t posted on there that today I mannaged to do Peristeen by myself!!! First time!! rest of times husband had to do it ~ not very pleasant!! PM me if you would like a MS chum I have been diagnosed 10.5 years and now S.P and about to be 45- ANCIENT I know xxx Julie

gb152, you are not alone. My moods are much more volatile than they used to be, I get stressed or wound up much more quickly and to a greater degree than I used to and I cry much more often than I used to, usually over nothing (very frustrating when something goes wrong at work and I find myself on the verge of tears).

My husband gets concerned about my stress levels and the consequences for my general health which in itself can wind me up - it can be a vicious cycle.

I don’t know what the answer is, but I wanted to reassure you, you aren’t alone.

Hi I have just posted this and have a similar issue re mood swings and do not know what to do.

I am some 5 years into have been diagnosed as having CIS. (I have had the scan and the lumbar puncture both positive) The only suggestion was watch my body heat and take paracetamol if needs be. I am now taking fish oil tablets and to date have not had any more relapses. Recently I gave up alcohol trying to follow all possible best practices and further reduce the possibility of anything further.

One thing I have noticed is that my mood is variable and some might say perhaps a bit volatile is that normal for CIS?

Hello all,

Thank you so much for all of your replies. It is so helpful to be reminded that you’re not alone from time to time.

I am sorry that so many of you seem to have trouble with this, too. I also feel I have pushed so many people away with it, and spend much of my time wishing I could turn back the clock after saying things in the heat of the moment. Luckily I don’t get overly angry, but just tense up and find myself going very quiet. I often wonder if I’ll ever meet anyone that’s able to put up with me, but that’s just me having an off day and selfishly sorry for myself! So many people are in much worse situations than I, and I am always careful to remind myself of that where I can.

Thank you so much again for reminding me that you are all out there to talk to :slight_smile: it is such a comfort sometimes.

Georgie

OMG you were diagnosed at 18?? how? to be honest, i am not surprised you have mood swings when this is what you deal with everyday… have you ever watched food matters on netflix? its really good and talks about controlling your mood with diet and I think Niacin is something which really really affects your mood swings.

I personally have no excuse for my mood swings :slight_smile: I have only recently been diagnosed with MS and the whole of my history is plagued with outrageous mood swings and flying anger at boyfriends and friends… no wonder I have so little! :slight_smile: I wonder actually whether its a symptom or a personality trait for people with MS?! hmmm interesting one… but I know if you DO have MS, its wise to try and get control of it…

Meditation (I say that and I cant do it for toffee :)) and relaxation helps and even cognitive therapy like putting a hairband around your wrist and everytime you get stressed you ping yourself to get back in the room so to speak, but honestly… diet is the thing that controls your mind… eat right and healthy and the things that come out of your mouth might be healthy too :slight_smile:

Hope that helps or even gets posted as i am being queued by Big brother right now

Chin up

xx

My neuro says that MS can affect the happy part of our brain, so sometimes we can be hit with a bit of low mood…take advice and take help…

1 Like