Mobility scooter danger campaign! What do you think?

Nice one E.I am learning how best to use the power chair,Davros to his friends and use it in here at night when energy levels are low.

Happy wheeling and getting a bit of freedom back will feel good,

S xx

After Mary’s dreadful story I totally agree with this idea! Teresa xx

I think it’s a very good idea, as I was nearly, very nearly knocked over by a ‘lady’ on a scooter going hell for leather on the path in the high street. I was so shocked I shouted out that’s ****** dangerous and the chap standing next to me agreed. The ‘lady’ went gaily on her way without realising the near miss. So yes I think it should be a must.

Janet

x

Yes agree that there should be testing and no we are not being persecuted/picked upon.

Yesterday I had to have a test for a new electric wheelchair (NHS) and had to navigate up kerbs without a dropped kerb, reverse backwards off a kerb etc.

These types of tests for a scooter, although slightly different would be a good thing, especially as some scooters go double the speed of an electric one.

P.S I passed and got a certificate, don’t think that will be going up on the wall, lol.

Thanks for all responses.

I think in an ideal world there would be training for everyone… & maybe a sticker to put on your scooter to show that you’ve completed the training. An actual test might put people off.

But in the real world I can’t see how it could be done. There is no way of knowing everyone who has scooters… some are bought second-hand on Ebay etc etc.

Also at this time when the ConDems won’t spend a penny on disabled I doubt if they would be prepared to finance any scheme of this sort so don’t think it will happen.

The best we can do right now is make sure we are responsible scooter riders… and set an example that not all scooter riders are thoughtless at best and down-right dangerous at worst.

I wish there was a club we could join.

Would anyone be interested in joining a club where you’d get a sticker for your scooter to show you are a safe & reponsible rider?

Could call it ScooterSafe or something like that?

I’m only testing this idea… but would be good idea, yes?

If there is any interest I could pitch the idea to one of those websites. I follow ukmobilityscooter on Twitter. I could try them.

What do you think?

Pat x

Hi Pat,hopefully your day is better than expected.I’ve thought about Scooter Training for a while now,and it ain’t easy to implement.I think the easiest way to offer the training is through the reputable dealers and DVLA,'cos at least they know about some of the class IIIs that are registered. A ‘No Claims’, scheme and discount for doing the training when it comes to buying insurance would interest people.As for the other scooters,classes I and II there could be 250,000+ in use,sheds,garages blah blah.

I wonder how many people are injured every year by kids on scooters,bikes roller blades etc

Your idea is a good one,but I think that a lot of people are going to say,“There’s no money,and it isn’t that high on a list of priorities”.Actually, can I have a Fiver rather than a sticker…Naughty boy.

I’ll support you, and whatever you come up with Pat.Actually I have a few 'Golden Rules ’ which I never break when I’m on the road,so if anybody has got a few of their own,we could produce something for a Newby heading onto the road,

Wb x

Hi Pat,

personally I think we should be left alone , I am a responsible scooter user , it is taxed ,insured , I still hold a car driving license , I drove our own 7.5 ton lorry pre M.S. , I even have qualifications for horse carriage driving :slight_smile: , so I don’t feel it necessary for “MORE” red tape !!

whether you have testing/training or not , you still have inconsiderate ,intolerant and down right ignorant users , just as you do in cars , it’s all down to conscience really , because once the user is set free after said testing/training it can still become a free for all for them, depending on their mood of the day ?

John

p.s. perhaps it would be an idea to fit all scooters with something like parking sensors , that stop them automatically before impacting anything ?

or big soft rubber spring assisted bumpers, that absorb any impact shock to others or the user ?

even an impact cut out switch would help ? , it’s one thing to hit an object of some sort , but if the scooter motor stopped at that point it would lessen the effects ? , it only requires a reset button to continue if no harm done ,

I can feel/see the tumbleweeds passing by with my suggestions ? , so many inspired ideas and not one reply ? :slight_smile:

Achord I think all your suggestions are very good. In fact I think there’s loads of good suggestions on here. I’m going to message ukmobilityscooters with a link to this post & ask them what they think.

I also agree that training, tests etc will not stop bad scooter users! It’s like all of these things… preaching to the converted!

However an impact cut out switch sounds excellent idea.

Pat x

Dear Tumbleweed,all your ideas are good and perfectly possible,but the bells ‘n’ whistles might cost more than the scooter.Like anything mechanical the weak link is the human, especially if it is not trained or aware of the potential to cause injury to itself and those around it.

Wb

thanks for the reply Pat,

I suppose my initial response to it was leave us alone , but some improvements could be made , the only trouble with making things over ride common sense is that people can become even ‘more’ care free (in my opinion )

eg, when they made childrens play areas softer on the landings for things like slides and swings etc , the children then start throwing themselves intentionally off head first, believing the ‘State’ has protected them from injury ?

somewhere along the line the individual has to be held responsible for their own actions , perhaps the jails would end up full of mobility scooter users, but at least it wouldn’t be too costly to keep us in ? :slight_smile:

Dear wb, as far as training humans :slight_smile: , you can lead a horse to water , but you can’t make it drink ! :slight_smile:

p.s. as for the bells and whistles costing too much , I guess the sensors would be costly , but a bumper or a cut out might be feasible ? mine can cut out without being offered the choice !! :slight_smile:

did he go everywhere backwards ?

I think the reverse gear is the most dangerous , and perhaps it would be a good idea on scooters if it wasn’t so easily engaged ? , perhaps a gear stick instead of a switch would point out the direction you were about to travel ? , especially for those that perhaps just need reading glasses , a small R by a switch can be easily mistaken , depends how often the scooter is used of course , after a while you get to know it by heart, but forward for forward on a gear stick (however small ) ?

also I think a revolving amber light in a high position (on a pole) should be standard on the road going scooters , they’re a bit too low and vulnerable on the road for my liking with just the hazards flashing ? , always reminds me of the Sinclair C5 !! , :slight_smile: , though I think they had a flag on a pole if I remember rightly ?

I agree. I haven’t got a pole and very dodgy when pulling out onto road between parked cars!

Pat x

Just out of interest I wonder if anyone feels the same as I about pedestrians, I seem to become invisible when I am on my scooter (class three, taxed and insured). Only yesterday I was minding my own and luckily everyone else’s business in the shopping centre, when yet another pratt walked right at me, he was texting at the time because the place was crowded (Eastbourne) I could not move sideways and the safest thing I could do was stop dead, the ‘pratt’ stopped inches from me. It seems to me that people walking would be more likely to cause an accident.