Forum

Mobility scooter danger campaign! What do you think?

The link opens a BBC article on a campaign to make mobility scooter riders have training… and also that only disabled people use them (who else uses them!?):

Hmmm… I’m in two minds about this.

On the one hand it comes across as yet another attack on the disabled.

On the other, I know that a few mobility scooter users are not very responsible. There used to be a man in my neighbourhood who went charging around at speed and shouting at anyone who was in his way.

I consider myself a very responsible rider… and get a kick out of riding with skill.

What do you think?

Another attack on the disabled or a good idea?

Pat x

Hi Pat,

I think this campaign is a great idea as I think all disabled people should have training in riding mobility scooters or powered wheelchairs.

WHY do I think this way?

Well I’ve has MS a very long time and used to be able to walk until one day a woman on a mobility scooter ran into the back of me whilst I was shopping in a store - she just said “you’ll be alright I used to be a nurse” as she left me groaning and bleeding on the floorl with both ankles damaged, my back severely damaged and my back teeth knocked out. The result for me was that I ended up in hospital and am now confined to a wheelchair, and can’t chew properly because I have no Bl***y back teeth.

So I really do agree with this campaign. In fact I’ve encouraged it at government level as I don’t what anyone else to suffer the way I have. This woman will never know the damage she has done to me or how it changed my life as she simply sped off without a care. The training will help people recognise that these machines are good in the hands of those who know how to handle them and lethal in those who don’t.

Other people might feel differently I know, but then they haven’t experience my pain at the hand of this lethal rider.

:-/ Mary

Good God Mary that is shocking!!! Yes no wonder you support it.

Thanks for telling your story… yes it certainly puts it in a different light.

Pat x

I am a scooter user Pat and think it’s long overdue. I also think all scooters should have to be registered (like road tax) and it must be legal to have insurance.

The number of users who think just buying one is enough. These machines in the wrong hands can cause mayhem and I know of some who ruin it for the vast majority of responsible scooter users.

George

Hello,

I do think a course on how to ride them should be given when they are sold to you.

I guess they are like my dog, he wont bite or bark but if he runs into you it will hurt and could cause damage.

Darren

I would agree with this. I know of a few non-disabled people who bought themselves mobility scooters because they’re morbidly obese and get wheezy and tired if they walk too much! People like that, so long as there’s no underlying health reason, should be encouraged to walk MORE so they lose weight and become more healthy! As for a test, maybe more a course with regular checks? It wouldn’t be a good thing to have a pass or fail test, as (most) people really need their scooters.

Hi, when I first borrowed a scooter from Shopmobility in halifax and Huddersfield, I had to have a driving lesson, and test before I was allowed to use their scooters. Same applied for wheelchiar from Wheelchair Services.

This is all very well, but buying scooters or wheelchairs privately means anyone can hurl the thing wherever they like.

So maybe a general set of lessons, followed by a test isnt a bad idea.

Poor Mary and her terrible experience, makes me think this way.

luv Pollx

I am totally in favour of this campaign. As someone who’s hubby has been both assaulted by a scooter in a pedestrian / scooter rage incident and accidentally hit by someone who clearly was not improper control, I can absolutely see the need. And yes, I also think that they should not be sold to people without proof of having undertaken the necessary training.

All good points so far Pat. And Mary - how horrifying your incident - and this is where insurance should be compulsory as you would be able to make a claim for compensation.

l am out on my scooter everyday - its a Tramper, so it does have to have road tax. And l do not go on the pavements. l spend most of my time in fields ‘off roading’.

Emma-C 's point about scooters being used for ‘the morbidly obese’ is so correct and you only have to see them in the shopping malls on shop-mobility scooters. They give us scooterers a bad name. l had an important appointment at a solicitors once - and to get there l had to park at the shopmobility and borrow one of their scooters. l drove it through the town to the solicitors office - and when he saw me - he commented ‘l thought you needed to be three times your size with a fag in your mouth to use one of those’. So its not just Madge in Benidorm that set the wrong idea.

Road Tax for a disability scooter is free - and l think insurance is about £50. Some house insurances might cover you also for third party liability. When l purchased my Tramper l was given the forms already filled in to send for my Road Tax - and it is then automatically renewed annually. The Tramper has a tax-disc holder fitted.

l know our local shopmobility make sure you have a ‘test drive’ before they let you loose on a scooter. But the sort of course that was shown on the tele last night was more practical. At the moment l don’t think any ‘bad drivers’ can actually be stopped. My tax disc info does state that the scooter is only for the use of someone disabled. Which of course does include people who are so obese that are unable to walk. Sticky point - don’t you think. Does this come under ‘discrimination’.

Mary [Theorising] - Now her dreadful experience must make it essential that more rules and regulations are necessary.

Take care everyone

Fx

God, now I have an altogether different perception about it. Thanks for sharing the story anyway.

Hi Pat

I think this is an excellent idea and about time too. It is so easy to

go to a mobility shop and purchase one and off you go, no training

whatsoever, and close to where I live it is known as the "mobility

capital" and believe me, there are so really awful and dangerous

drivers of these vehicles, much the same as there are in cars.

An elderley neighbour of mine (sadly no longer with us now) purchased

a mobility scooter…and he was registered blind!!! everybody got out of

his way, cos although he would not intentionally hurt a fly, he could not see

you. That is so wrong, both for him and everyone else.

Bring it on…

Pam x

Another thing I was thinking, when I first got my scooter (bought outright) I was terrified. I had no idea how to ride it properly and sort of learned on the job. I could certainly have done with a bit of training.

For instance at first I didn’t realise you could park them outside shops, cafe’s etc… so I got myself in some right messes trying to get it into small shops! It was only when I saw one parked outside a shop that the penny dropped. Got myself a folding walking stick and life was much easier.

It’s hard about fat/obese people. We have no way of knowing if they are obese because they are disabled (& don’t i know how hard it is to keep the weight down when you’re disabled)… or disabled because they are obese!

Kathy Burke once made a bad joke about fat people with a fag using a mob scooter to go down to the chip shop. It doesn’t help when people have that perception.

But if there was a training scheme… how would it be paid for?

I would be prepared to go for a test.

Do you think a test would put people off?

Pat x

Pat x

Yes, I do think it would put some people off. Then those would more likely be the ones who had little regard for other folk`s safety.

or so full of themselves that they believe they can do everything right!

luv Pollx

Having driven just about everything in over 30 years, I bring every bit of experience to bear when I’m on the road,pavement,or the most dangerous place,in the Supermarket, on a scooter. My classIII Buggy has the registration number on the back,is insured(£90 a year with recovery) and I’ve done over 3,000 incident free miles in two years on the road.

Having observed other people on scooters on the road,the sooner the training is mandatory the better.I’ve also got a class I titchy scooter and just bought a brilliant power chair which fits around my tiny flat and is fine on the ‘rally stage pavements’ around here.£40 a year for £2 million third party insurance on each.That needs to be mandatory as well.

As for the obese using scooters…Best I keep my opinions to myself

Wb

We had a local farmer whose eyesight was so bad he was banned from driving a car. So he just drove a quad-bike everywhere until the police had a word with him - then he got a large scooter - Pride Ranger - and still continued to go everywhere on it. He used to keep to the centre of the lanes. We all kept out of his way - of course. lt was only the diligence of local drivers that assured he was safe. He has now passed away. Apparently, his mother lost her driving license - and at a great age went around in a pony and trap. Stopped at the little shop in the next village and the post-office - and just shouted out her orders to the shopkeeper. Pony knew its way home - and which side of the lane it should be on. People like this were ‘characters’ - now of cause times have changed and everyone needs to get there fast - and characters have become a nuisance.

F [that mad woman with the rottweilers]

Just to be a devils advocate…

How would we feel being stopped by the law and asked for licence, tax & insurance if the law was changed.

Interested on the replies.

Neil

No problems whatsoever. Nothing to hide, if I’m not breaking the law.

neil

i would have no problem with it. i cant use a scooter so powered chair for me. dont think they go as fast as a scooter but not sure? in rural area police will soon get to know locals-not sure how will work in busy towns/cities. i guess scooter checks would be well down their list of priorities…

ellie x

I totally agree that scooter users should be trained, display tax(legal requirement now) and Registration Number,and carry insurance details.I was stopped needlessly by a young copper last year for 45 minutes in the freezing cold while he brushed up on his knowledge, after I told him exactly what he’d asked. I put in an official complaint and met with his Sergeant. He said he would personally train up all the local plod,so now when they see me they nod.The young bloke was shown the error of his ways.

I obey the rules of the road, and therefore am protected by them.

Oh Ellie, the majority of power chairs do 4MPH and aren’t for use on the road,but will fit around the house.You’ll need one good-ish hand…However, there are road legal ones which do 8MPH and have all the ‘Bells ‘n’ Whistles’.The one I NEED is £7,000 and would get up Ben Nevis.

Wb x

hiya steve

the one i have seen folds down to go in car. (my chaufeur will deal with that!) will be using it to get to bus stop/local shop and then nearest town which is 5 miles away. i am feeling very restricted due to recent events-you know re the biggie since june but am also finding in the past few weeks the things that i could do 6 weeks ago are beginning more of a struggle…i dont envisage going very far or in a hurry! have tried manual wheelchair in house but because of right sided weakness found it very hard. as u say-i can use power chair in/around house.

ellie x