Mobility and falls

Hi all, I havent been on the forum for a few months. Probably because I started DMT and everything seemed ok and slightly improved. Last year my mobility was pretty poor, and I stopped going to a lot of places for fear of stumbling and looking like I was drunk, or not being within easy reach of the toilets! I am on holiday at the moment as we didn’t get away last year at all.

I bought myself a folding walking stick to bring on holiday, hopefully to help with the walking. I still can’t walk very far but it’s better than last year.

I’ve stumbled a few times this week, and took a tumble yesterday that left me bruised and embarassed. The tears came shortly after :cry:.

My husband is over-trying to keep me upright, but I still seem to spend most of my time looking at the floor for potential trip hazards, which could be something as simple as a leaf!

I just feel very down at the moment so I apologise for waffling on, and I know my problems are trifling compared to some of you.

I don’t know if the stick is more of a hindrance than a help, apart from the fact that people are less likely to think I’m drunk.

Do any of you have any advice regarding mobility aids, and how to disguise your embarassment!!

2 Likes

Hi there,

I know the feeling of being embarrassed when you fall all too well. Ive started to walk with 2 crutches outside (1 crutch inside) which has been an adjustment. While for a while I was embarrassed by the sticks for a while ive learned that there is nothing to be embarrassed about they are just needed to help keep me upright. Ive had myself a few looks and stink eyes but I never give them any notice as they are just judgey people who know nothing what it feels to feel like you are walking on a bouncy castle all the time (always been the way ive put my balance issues). Ive learnt to take pride in using them to get around rather then admit defeat from this disorder we all here suffer with. Hopeful at some point you will see it that way as well as its helped me out alot.

2 Likes

Hi there, I’m currently an expert at falling,just have to master the gracefully part. As others have said something as small as a dog hair can catch you out…lol.
I use a walking pole as when I do catch an obstacle like your leaf and fall I’ve still got the pole attached to my wrist. It’s just take it easy and watch where you walk. I can’t watch where I walk and where I’m walking to at the same time.

1 Like

Hi Nic014,
I am so sorry that things are getting you down just now. Falling is something that gets to us all. I have been using a stick but totally get what you are saying that it can be a hinderance at times.
Getting around the house I furniture walk and outside,(when I do go) out is with the stick and usually someone else.
I am following all the exercises the MS physio sent me and keeping my fingers crossed always that I manage.
I find that I can even trip over my big toe, the joys.
Hope you find some solace soon
Much Love
Maryx

2 Likes

Thanks @PeteTheTechGuy . I opted for a stick but now im wondering if a crutch might be better. I might have to look into that, and take less notice of the looks that i get.

1 Like

Thanks @marymcdermott, I do exactly the same at home and out. I dont have a physio at the moment but I think I will ask about one

@Rocenante , I do believe the graceful fall is an artform, and I am yet to master that one myself. Maybe there should be classes…

1 Like

A rollator will give you more stability and most have a seat, so you can take a rest when needed.

1 Like

Accepting that mobility aids are now part of life can be a hard pill to swallow. Who wants to be the old dear (or - worse - lovely young thing) with the walking stick/hiking pole/tri-walker? Not me, but even less do I want to be the old dear who has taken a tumble and broken her hip because her self-image couldn’t take the idea of being seen with mobility aids. It’s just a matter of practicality in the end. And self-preservation. And quality of life and scope for doing normal-person things. But that doesn’t make it easy, does it?

3 Likes

Absolutely, @alison100 . I am ashamed to say I have been avoiding the inevitable really.

1 Like

Hi @Nic014

You are certainly not alone and I relate to that totally, I tried the other day to walk a mile unaided to my brothers,it took me 1 1/2 hours and the sight of people crossing the street to avoid the strange wobbly man is awful so I have given in and got myself some crutches,at least people know that I can’t help it and if I fall someone will more likely help as getting up is a mission too. Have a great holiday :ok_hand:

3 Likes

A rollator used properly can improve your posture and your range. The drawback is it knocks your EDSS score badly as using bilateral support marks it down even though you can achieve significant range.

Walking upright and looking ahead really helps, looking down can be choosing where to fall. Make sure you have one suitable for outside and it is adjusted to the right height. I go out and about with rather than stay home without.

3 Likes

I’ve recommended before, that we stumblers should learn the “Rolling Break Fall”. I first learned how to do it aged 7, at judo class. Bones were softer and I was more flexible back then!

Have since used it at Tae Kwon Do in my 20’s and again in my 50’s. Now 61, the rolling break fall has saved me a couple of times. Instead of a damaging splat and injuries to joints, a roll takes the shock out of the fall. It needs to be learned though, as it is counter intuitive - instinct tells us to put our hands out and brace.

2 Likes

Yes, Rollator. I picked up one of these second hand for £15, which is about 10% of the new price. Most equipment like this is owned by older people, who, …er, don’t last as long as the rollator, so you find next gen advertising them on Facebook or similar. Keep an eye out!

2 Likes

I have a strategy:
short distance, known routes = walking stick (folding, with spread base & knuckle)
medium distance, perhaps a quick visit to a supermarket = rollator. As @whammel says, get one with a seat - very handy in the queue for the checkout!
long distance (hospital visits, cruise, larger shops, theatre) = electric folding wheelchair. Also applicable for unfamiliar places - don’t want to get stranded.

I have a big car and stash chair in the boot, rollator in the rear seat footwell and stick next to me. I’m fortunate enough to still be able to lift the chair in & out of the car and can still drive an auto, so independence is maintained.

Would any of this help you?
Graeme

2 Likes

Lol true, I’d be late or have to cancel because I’d fall getting there

1 Like

@GCCK That’s exactly what we do. I’ve injured my thumb trying to limit the fall. Probably much less damage if the rolling fall is used. Thanks for the advice

Hi Nic014. I just don’t bother attempting to walk for anything over 15 mins or so and use a small folding mobility scooter for anything more. If I go into town for a meal or shopping I use the scooter - I can lift it onto and out of the train but expect it’s only a matter of time before I will need to ask for help from station/ train staff. The scooter folds up small enough to take into restaurants- cafes - although I do check with them first. I have a second slightly larger scooter for walks etc…

I have a walking stick but might well take up the suggestions from others about using a Rollator for e.g walking around a hospital when I have MS Nurse appointments and similar

1 Like

I’d suggest two walking poles when outside. I now use a mobility scooter for any distance and personally recommend the Pride Gogo Elite Traveller Plus - very manoeuvrable.
Walking poles were recommended to me by a physio as they keep you more upright.
My biggest problem and the cause of 90% of my falls is not concentrating or trying to be urgent. It’s a pain but it’s our lives. I still believe we must stay positive - do what you can while you can.
Good luck

Adam

1 Like