Medical alert bracelet?

Hi I’m about to start my dmd on 30/7/12 and have decided on rebif bt I was wondering if I would have to wear a medical alert bracelet once I start them. I have a ms card in my purse to notify anyone if any thing happens but I don’t always carry my purse. Does anyone else wear on for dmd’s or is it not necessary?? Steph

No sorry Stephanie, I didn’t even know there was an ms card! It would be handy for when I’m drunk in charge of a shopping trolley, sans vino! Chis

you get the ms card from the ms society website it allows you to use shops toilet if you get caught short also lets people know that you have ms

i have both cards the urgent need for the toilet and one just explaining the common symptoms but if im in an accident and/or cant tell them what injections i am on would a medical alert be useful to wear?

i have both cards the urgent need for the toilet and one just explaining the common symptoms but if im in an accident and/or cant tell them what injections i am on would a medical alert be useful to wear?

Hi Steph

It can’t hurt, can it? I bought one for my husband after his heart attack, actually got a pendant type necklace, which you can open up and write on a piece of paper, as he’s he’s on so many meds we wouldn’t have been able to fit it all on an engraved one! Its peace of mind if anything should happen, you can also put emergency contact details on it. There’s loads to choose from these days too.

Good luck with the DMD’s.

Hi Steph, If you’re in a serious accident - serious enough that you can’t speak for yourself - it’s highly unlikely they’re still going to administer your DMD’s. It’s not lifesaving medication in the same way as insulin for diabetics. So I don’t personally think A & E need a card to tell them you’re on DMDs. It wouldn’t affect your treatment one way or the other. I can’t imagine them rushing in with your Copaxone (or whatever) while you lie in a coma. It may, however, be useful for them to know you have MS. Otherwise they may not be able to distinguish between problems caused by your accident or injury, and those caused by MS. Tina

It’s more in case another medication reacts with the dmds.