MALE NURSE REPLIES

First of all thanks for the replies.

Most are what I expected althought a couple have taken it as an opertunety to poke fun, well all I can say to them is shame on you.

I could have gone anon.

Good point that I had’nt thought of a femail will probably be gentler.

This question was based on genuine concernes and if you don’t ask or question nothing will change.

To those who seem to think that " manhood " and " size " are an issue, I can only say, its filled two prams

Ronin

I am a woman so I can’t even guess how you’re feeling. All I can say is that I’ve only had a female doctor do my smear tests, which is the closest thing I can think of to equate it to.

I would be very nervous of having a male doctor do my smear tests or fit a coil.

It’s not a thing to make fun of and I think your concerns are understandable. I hope you get some input from a man who has had the procedure, whether it was by a male of female nurse. Could you see a (maybe a male) doctor and talk about your thoughts? I’m sure you aren’t the only person in your position, and that giving reassurance about the procedure is very common.

Take care,

Ellen

Hi Ronin I replied to your other post and I really understand that you do have genuine concerns, not sure I can do anything to help but just want to say that I hope things go well for you. Cheryl:)

Ronin,

You are well within your rights to enquire about having a male nurse to attend you. But as someone has said a female nurse might be more gentle and understanding. l had to have an injection for my arthritic hip - which was done through the groin - whilst under xray - This was done by a male consultant - but there was a female radiologist attending. lt was a bit embarrassing -but for ladies who have had children - you get use to it.

l have found that they do try to keep your modesty in tact as much as is possible.

But l would like to add that your reservations are understandable Ronin.

Frances.

I can only say I has a male Dr do my urodynamics test with a female nurse present. The whole situation was an ordeal, but I can’t see it would have been easier if it had been a female.

I would phone the department and ask, as this causing you distress. If of course the answer is no you may just have to do it.

Twist

I cannot see anything wrong with requiring (not requesting) a doctor or nurse of the same gender, if that is your preference. Get this information highlighted on your notes. We do live in a modern society.

How you feel is important - best wishes.

Cheers

Moira

I agree with Moira. Although, 2 days ago - I had two nurses to repair my ‘catheter’ (it was ‘leaking’). It did go through my mind (because I was at home) but they were ‘very professional’ and the catheter was ‘fixed’ - thank, god! I didn’t really care who or what did it - I was glad of the outcome! I’ve got MS and it doesn’t ‘bother’ me what ‘gender’ I get care from - I’m just ‘glad’ of the ‘care’ but you should feel comfortable - that is what ‘care should be all about?’

Marcus.

Surprised to see the same old stereotypes being peddled by some posters – female nurses reckoned to be more gentle and caring than male nurses – they’re not.

It’s a very personal thing - I’ve never had an issue with the gender of medical staff attending to me, I view them as “non-gender” professionals, they are there to do a job, and as long as they are competent, their gender doesn’t bother me. But, it is a very personal thing, and that’s just my view.

Luisa x

Ronin, if your remarks were for me I apologise for upsetting you, that was most definately not my intention. as I do not go out of my way to upset people. I hope sincerely that if it was me, you’ll except my apology and hope you get your dilema sorted quickly.

Janet