Well,what a time we`ve had in our house today!
First off, I thought my spc wound looked odd. There has been a small round
lump to the side of my catheter for about a week or so, but today it had grown to almost double and looks a bit raw.
Thought I`d bettter ring for a district nurse to check it.
Carer came to get me up and hubby went to the the DIY store…his favourite shop!
I was in the shower and almost finished, when carer said,
Ill get you out of the shower now Polly`. I asked if the nurse had arrived.
NO, theres smoke in the kitchen, I am calling the Fire Brigade`.
Eh? What? Oh? I replied.
She pulled me into my bedroom and I said I
d better get dried. She said, Never mind that. Here, pull this dress on quick!` Then she draped a towel and a fleece blanket round me and dragged me into the conservatory.
Well I was all of a dither and befuddled! You would be, wouldn`t you?
Then we heard the sirens. They hadnt taken more than 5 mins to respond. Bev went and told them what was what and a fireman came through the back gate to see if I was ok. I was, but getting upset by this time…it was all surreal!
I could hear several voices and smell a kind of bakelite burning smell…if the older ones amongst us know what that was like.
About 15 mins later, the boss fireman appeared and said he had turned off all the electric and our burglar alarm control box had shorted and was the culprit. I immediately said,
My hoist,my bed...........theyre electric.
You need an electrician before you put the power back on.
I cant leave her on the commode. She
s recently had surgery, she gets dizzy spells and panic attacks. So it was at that point, I got something most of us girls only dream of…
A fireman`s lift!!!
3 of the hunks lifted me and I said
Oh, mind me pipe and Ive got no knickers on!
One chap said,Neither have I!
They put me ont my bed and it didnt hurt at all…!
Then a risk assessment was done and I scored as high risk.Well i already knew that, didn`t I?
So they fitted 2 smoke alrams,as our`s were old. And off they popped!
Then nurse arrived, looked at my wound and declared it to be
She thought the hole had been cut to big and it was trying to close…nice!
s prescribed some steroid cream and said to keep it dressed for a week, when shell come check again.
Then hubby came home to see the pandemonium and said
I cant leave you for 2 minutes, can I? He reckons its the mains electric thing which has over heated and melted the tape round the cable!
So here I am, in bed and awaiting someone from the electricity supplier. I don
t want a lift` from him too. Too much excitement can dizzy a girl, eh?
What a fun life I have!