Is this normal for an MRI

Hi everyone, Yesterday I had an MRI scan for suspected ms. While I was having the scan the radiographer went out and came back in with someone who I’m guessing was another radiographer/doctor and they were looking at the computer screen. Then about 20mins later a different person came in and did the same. At the end of the scan the radiographer did an extra minute and a half of my head but didnt explain why. The staff were all lovely and I have no complaints but I was wondering if its normal for there to be different people coming in the room where the computer was. Also as I was walking out I turned around and was able to see the room where the computer screen was. I’m pretty sure the image of my brain was up on the screen becuase a bright white circle caught my eye. It looked like there were a few smaller circles on the image also. Is it possible that it wasnt my scan I saw? Thanks in advance for the reading and i hope everyone is doing well.

It could be something as simple as a radiographer in training, getting their work supervised. If scans are not quite clear enough because the person has moved slightly they would redo that section.

Hopefully it is nothing more concerning than that. The main analysis would be done after the images are completed.

When I had my scan I didn’t even know where the radiographer was located let alone be able to see if others joined him! He was completely out of sight.

I could see them when I looked into the mirror , I didnt have any choice they were all I could see. I wasnt looking out for them!

I wouldn’t make too much of this. I’ve had 2 MRI’s recently. Both took a long time and they have to survey, scan and check the image is clear, and redo things if it didn’t come out properly first time. This can happen if you move (even a little) during some scans and they need to be retaken. The people doing the scans are generally not diagnostic radiologists and won’t be looking at the images with a diagnostician’s eye, they are there to make sure that clear images are made. A radiographer will look at the images properly well after you have left the MRI room to check for any pathology. Both times I was in the MRI machine, I kept looking at the people through their little window and trying to interpret every facial expression they made or delay between scans! :slight_smile:

Thanks for the response, I saw the computer screen at the end and that didnt help matters becuase I could see areas that looked like they were bright white. Unless it wasnt my scan that was on the screen I’m pretty sure that what I saw was the contrast that highlighted areas of my brain.

Not a very clever way to set out the room! I think most people who could see the radiographer would, like you, be watching their expression for any signs … I would. Think it is human instinct. My mirror view was just of an empty bit of room, so whilst less distracting it was probably much less stressful.

Sati92, different types of MRI scanning cycles show things differently, so what you saw may be normal for that particular type of scan. Some info on MRI scan types, MRI  Basics

Thank you for the link its very helpful

So after reading through the link provided it seems that what I saw were the lesions highlighted due to the contrast.

My only other question is was that my scan which was on the screen ?

As I mentioned before I saw this as I was leaving so I’m guessing it must have been mine ?

Once they’ve got you there, they want to make sure they’re getting what they need. Sometimes it’s straightforward and sometimes it isn’t. Of course your brain is seeing patterns and meanings everywhere as you try to make sense of a confusing situation. But our mental defence mechanisms do not always serve us as well in the modern world as they did when scanning for potentially deadly threats on the plains of pre-history! In other words, do try if you can not to over-interpret.

Alison

Hi thanks for the response

The thing is I saw the image of the scan at the end also. That didnt really help me in trying not to work out what was going on.

She told me at the end they wanted an extra scan of my head which would take 1 and a half minutes. So when I left I’m guessing that was the image on the screen that I saw. The white circle really stood out to me and as I said it caught my eye becuase it was so bright.

In a way I’d prefer if theyd explain why they needed extra scans etc… I know that’s not for everyone or maybe they dont have the time to do so but I’m that kinda person that I like to understand what’s happening.

The radiographers are always very careful to not be drawn on what they have seen or not seen. As experienced technical professionals, they take care to stick to their remit, which is to do the scan ordered by the consultant safely and effectively: it is not their job to report upon the scans, and that’s why they won’t offer any hints or opinions to the patient.