Intermittent night sweat/waking up shaking

For a number of months now I have been waking up drenched in sweat, and shaking (not with cold, just feeling “the shakes”). It doesn’t happen every night, but at least twice a week. I’m shattered when I wake up, and feel weak. Is the sweating MS? Could the dehydration be the cause of the shakes? I’m at a loss!

I had that for almost a year I didn’t know what It was I felt so cold and couldn’t get warm enought but I was sweating and burning up I used to wake thinking I wee’d the bed It was a lot worse the night I done my Avonex injection I’ve been of that and on Tysabri over 3 years now and I can’t remember the last time its happen to me.

I’ve been talking to a couple of people on Avonex and they said there the same but I’ve herd other people say it happens to them and there not on Avonex 1 lady told me if she has anything to eat after 7pm or a couple of hours before she goes to bed she wakes up drenched in sweat.

Mark x

There have been quite a few threads in the past about people waking up sweating so I’m pretty sure it’s an MS thing.

I have a couple of measures that seem to help.

• I got rid of my tog 10 duvet and bought a summer weight tog 4. In the winter months I use a lightweight cover on top. When I wake up hot it’s easy to get push off the top cover and just have the thin duvet.
  • I have 2 chillows one for my feet and one for the pillow. (don’t tend to use them in the winter)
  • I keep a spare top (cotton) on the bedside table so I can whip off the wet sweaty one and replace it with a nice dry one in seconds.
  • I don’t have any heat in the bedroom – it’s quite glacial at this time of year.

These things don’t stop the sweats but they do let me get back to sleep a bit faster.

Jane

Just a thought - have you had your blood glucose levels checked?

I have type 2 diabetes and when my glucose levels are getting a little bit low I sweat a lot and get very shakey. I also get night sweats, which could well be due low glucose levels while I’m a sleep. That’s what my diabetes nurse has told me anyway. If you haven’t had a diabetes check it might be worth getting booked in for one. Either talk to your GP or go to a Lloyds pharmacy where they can book you in for a diabetes check. You can’t just turn up for a glucose test as you usually need to be ‘starved’ overnight.

Of course, it may be due to the good old MS!

I’m very interested to read the answers to your question.

Hiya, it could also be down to meds. Not very nice, I get it quite often :frowning: Suz xx

Are you taking Betaferon? I was for nine months and had nine months of night sweats. Stopped as soon as i changed up medication.

Are you taking Betaferon? I was for nine months and had nine months of night sweats. Stopped as soon as i changed up medication.

It could also be due to the menopause if you are in the right age group/sex… my sweats were… asimple blood test by my GP alerted me, then a course of hrt sorted the problem!

Carol