I could scream

I got DX a year ago.

My family is small but everyone knows but apart from my grandad. I don’t understand why he wasn’t told when I first got DX. We don’t live locally. I feel like we are lying to him & I’m the family secret. My aunties have decided that’s it’s for the best not to tell him, not sure why i can’t make that decision.

Anyone else been in a similar situation? Or a decision has been taken out of your hand?

Hello anon

Is your grandad quite frail? would it be a big shock for him?

Do you see your grandad a lot and worry this could be awkward for you. Maybe you should try discussing how you feel with your aunties and ask them what their reasons are for not telling him.

xx

you should do what YOU feel is right.

maybe tell him but make out that it’s no big deal as far as you’re concerned.

i did that with my dad. told him that my stubborn streak would keep me going.

now i even hear him telling other people that “carole will be alright, she’s always been bloody stubborn”

ahhhh.

carole x

Your grandfather is likely to find out about your dx at some point and it is likely he will not be happy that it was kept from him, unless he is himself ill and unable to take much interest in what’s going on. I think talking to your aunties about why they have decided not to tell him is a good first step, but ultimately it’s your decision who you tell.

I told my father when I went home at christmas so for a few weeks they all thought it was a virus. I made the decision that i did not want my two grandmothers to know. It would have worried them unnecessarily and they were both elderly and would have probably thought the worse, as I am the only sufferer in my family.

If you are close to your grandfather then you will know what his reaction will be. Its a hard decision to make, but good luck with whatever you decide to do.

JBK xx

My grandad turned 80 in march, he’s doing quite well for his age. Since my grandma passed away two years ago my aunites have been wrapping him up in cottonwool & treat him like a child. They persume what he wants & how he feels. Instead of just talking to him & treating him like an adult.

I don’t mean this to sound bad or disrespectful but since my grandma died, its like a weight had been lifted off his shoulders.

Its also frustrating that my aunites are making my decisions, my mum doesn’t even do that.

My opinion is that he should be treated like an adult and people need to decieding what’s best for him

Hello again anon.

Overprotective daughters, you’d never have found me doing that with my parents Lol.

Seriously though, just tell your grandad then if he’s in good health. Let him know like it’s no big deal and then I can’t see why it should cause any problems.

Good luck x

Well that’s what i said, just play it down. But now its got to the point where they are all over thinking it & they are making an issue out of it

How close are you to your grandad, just trying to understand the importance of why you want him to know. I don’t mean that in anyway negative, just trying to understand. :slight_smile:

How close are you to your grandad, just trying to understand the importance of why you want him to know. I don’t mean that in anyway negative, just trying to understand. :slight_smile: