i cannot believe my stupidity!

Hi all

Hope today has been good for you, but you will not believe what I have done.

Hubby took me to Morrison’s, only needed a few odds and sods, so went in on my own, and he waited outside with the dog. Got my shopping, all well so far, not very busy as well, just as I like it.

Got to checkout, my turn to pay, but the card thingy is up so high, and I can’t get me arms up to reach, no problem I thought the lady will lift it down for me, but she said this one won’t come off. By this time there is a queue with an elderly gent behind me tutting, I am all hot, bothered and looked like a jelly on a plate with this damn tremor. The shop assistant said you will have to tell me the pin number and I will do it…and I did, to a complete stranger. After all what they tell you about not telling anyone your pin, I told mine without a thought…what a plonker!

Cannot believe my stupidity, I could have said I will go and get my husband to do it, but without hesitation I told her, take more care than me everyone.

Pam x

In your situation I would probably have done the same thing…but should she have even asked before exploring other routes? The people behind can always go to another checkout. I’m sure you will be ok but if you’re uneasy change the PIN number. Jan

Hello Pam,

The odds are you’ll be ok but ring for a replacement card just to be on the safe side. As far as the tutters behind you-there is no harm in waiting; they have eyes don’t they? Hope your well and happy, Steve.

Pam it was a silly thing to do but in the circumstances you found yourself in you had little choice. I’d have done the same thing. Just go to a hole in the wall and change your pin as Jan suggested, and remember you changed it unlike me who couldn’t access my eBay after the big password change request. I’m sure it’ll be okay though. I detest supermarket checkouts. Have a well deserved rest now.

Cath xx

Hi Jan

I just done it without thinking cos I worried about the queue. When I thought about it afterwards I felt so foolish, but to be safe I have changed the number.

Knowing my scattiness, I will probably forget about changing the number lol

Pam x

Hi Steve

Thanks, I have changed the number, just got to remember lol

Just replied to your post, hope you feel better soon.

Pam x

Hi Pam, I would have done exactly the same. AND she would have been really stupid to commit fraud with it as you could have gone straight to the police and told your story… and they would have gone to Morrisons and arrested her. I do find since MS I am rotten at making these split second decisions. The times I kick myself because I didn’t think quickly enough. Don’t beat yourself up! Pat xx (You might think about contacting Morrisons and telling them that their card machines are NOT accessable for wheelchair users. Actually the whole situation is THEIR FAULT!) XXX

Hi Pat

Good points made there, and yes I agree, I am nowhere near as sharp as I used to be, perhaps more brain fog than we think.

Pam x

An angle I never considered Pat. See, your bright, don’t pull yourself down. I must admit that I’m not as quick off the mark as I used to be.

Pam I’m glad you got your pin changed, though as Pat said, it probably wouldn’t have been a problem. I think supermarkets should be more accessible for wheelchair users, as I’m still mostly upright that hasn’t occurred to me.

Take care everyone

Cath xx

[quote=“skippysprite”]

Hi Jan

I just done it without thinking cos I worried about the queue. When I thought about it afterwards I felt so foolish, but to be safe I have changed the number.

Knowing my scattiness, I will probably forget about changing the number lol

Pam x

[/quote] S O D THE Queue your Entitled to take your time GRRRRRRRRR the tutters of this world get my goat

Hi Pam - I am getting hot and shaking just thinking about it. What a horrid situation to find yourself in. I would have done the same thing as I worry about other people and what they think. You will know for next time and now just chill out. Jackie x

Pam, was it the four digit authorisation pin you told her or the sixteen digit card number? If the 4 digit one I don’t see that as a problem- to use it to her advantage the checkout girl would need the card as well, wouldn’t she? Unless there’s a way she can access the computerised transaction process; not likely. Why not ring your card provider and discuss it? If the 16 digit number: if she has a good memory for numbers and could have held it in her head until you’d gone, and then written it down, she might then have the chance to defraud you. Again, unlikely I would have thought. So don’t fret too much, but do ring for advice. I expect they’ll give you a new card anyway, but don’t worry in the meantime. As for the impatient b’s behind you, forget them. You don’t owe them anything. You don’t have to rush for them or apologise to them. I wonder if any of us in this situation might try saying “would you care to swap places with me? I’ll stand in the queue and you can have MS.”

[quote=“hoppity”]

Thanks everyone, today I am feeling brighter about it and can laugh at myself, but in the future I will be ready for the “tutters” …sod "em!

England’s last match in the world cup today (she says with lots of expletives!)

Pam x

Pam

We all know stress makes us do stupid things but you are not stupid, make sure pin is changed and move on but i repeat you are not stupid MS makes us do daft things,

Hi Pam, I have worked for over 20 years on/ off checkouts and I have never asked for someone’s pin. There is a perfectly simple way of dealing with that situation. The check out operator should have called for a supervisor and she would have suspended your transaction. There is a receipt that comes out and she would have taken you to a checkout with a chip and pin that actually does what it is supposed to do. Scanned your receipt and all your shopping would go through, you don’t have to take anything out of bags. Then you could have completed your transaction as normal. 2 minutes. Simple!!! Yeah if I had a pound from everyone who tutted I would be a millionaire. Mags xx

Oh Mags, I wish you had been the sales assistant yesterday, there was obviously a simple solution that would have silenced the “tutters” . I shall remember that … Just in case, thanks.

Stayed in today, didn’t want to be too tired for the footy!

Pam x

Oh Pam, that sounds rotten. You’re not stupid though. I would have been just the same. As Don says…sod the tutters. I am not keen on going out alone these days…I get myself in such a tiz at the slightest things these days…don’t know where that capable person I used to be has gone!? Nina x

Hi Nina,

Yes, that’s one part of ms that family and friends find hard to understand, I do agree with you and wonder where the “old me” has gone, and the trouble is it goes little by little and you don’t realise, and when you do it knocks you for six.

It makes me angry, not with people, more with myself for letting it happen, even though I had no control over it, as though I didn’t try hard enough. Hope that makes sense, really hard to explain.

Take care

Pam x