ramp, so no problem to get in, had a real good nose around (love a bit of

retail therapy), but the rails containing all the goods are so close together,

it’s a bit like being on the dodgems! No problem I thought, I have all the

time in the world, keep going.

Suddenly I thought my powerchair was stuttering to go, a bit like when your

car is missing, or you have kangaroo petrol. So I thought OMG I had better

get back home, something is wrong with my chair. Get halfway up the ramp,

with another person in a w/chair behind me…and my chair comes to a

grinding halt. Panic stricken, I apologise to the lady behind me, who was lovely

and told me not to worry, turned my chair off, waited a couple of minutes, switched

back on and hey presto off we go again. Within 20 yards it stops again, so I thought

better not try to cross the road, so rang hubby instead.

He came to my rescue, checked my chair, by which time I was

getting a little upset, and to his and my amazement, the little

lever that takes the motor off was halfway in position, so was only making a small

contact. Obviously, where the racks were so close I must have touched this lever

with the bottom of the rack without realising!!

Moral of this story…if you are in a shop with very tight clothes rails, check

to see if you have moved the lever on your chair.

I can laugh about this now, but at the time I was panic stricken wondering

what the hell am I going to do without my trusty powerchair, hope it puts a

smile on your faces.

Pam x

It did indeed. Thats why I don’t go out on mine alone I don’t know what I’d do LOL!

Did you go back for another mooch or was that enough stress for one day?

Thanks for the smiles Pam

Oonagh

xxxx

Pam my heart rate rose reading the beginning of your post but yes I did smile at the end. I’m dreading the day my mobility might require me getting a wheelchair, I take my hat off to you all who cope so well with them. Thanks for that though and well done for making light of a scary moment.

Cath x

Ditto Cath’s comments in all repects! Nice when a simple solution is found to a potential nightmare :slight_smile:

Sonia x

Hi Pam, oh I`m glad you got it sorted.

Something similar happened to me when on holiday. I was out with friends, going along a canal towpath. The ground was rough and hilly in parts. As we tried to leave the towpath up a steeper bit, my scooter died!

I had to be pushed up the incline and like you, was scared silly.

Then after about 10 minutes, I tried it again and it still wouldnt work. Then one of our party thought about a re-set button, found it and flicked it.

I got going again. But realised I had asked too much of my trustee steed. Afterall, he was over 10 years old and hadnt given me a moment`s trouble beforehand.

I use a leccy wheelchair now. It`s easier to get into shops, restaurants, cinema etc…oh and disabled loos that are short on space.

pollyxx

Hi Oonagh,

I am glad it made you smile, I have been using my powerchair for yonks and

until then had never experienced any problem.

I didn’t go back though, thought I had better not tempt fate.

Hope all is well for you.

Pam x

Hi Cath,

Glad you smiled at the end, didn’t mean to make your heart beat faster, sorry.

Please don’t dread having to use a wheelchair, it is just another aid to make life

easier. Rather than having to stay in for lack of mobility years ago, it has given

me total freedom and independence, and this was the very first time I had a

problem, my chair is one of my best buddies!

Pam x

Hi Sonia

Yes, I am glad to say a simple solution solved the problem.

Take care

Pam x

Hi Poll

You have to smile at the scrapes we get into, even though at the time it seems

like a nightmare.

I agree totally with you about using a powerchair, mine is one of my best friends.

It is no use using a scooter cos you can’t get into the shops, they are only a useful

tool if you can leave it outside and walk in the shop.

They talk of rain here today…nothing yet, so we will wait and see.

Take care, hope your spc is behaving now.

Pam x

Hi Cath,

Glad you smiled at the end, didn’t mean to make your heart beat faster, sorry.

Please don’t dread having to use a wheelchair, it is just another aid to make life

easier. Rather than having to stay in for lack of mobility years ago, it has given

me total freedom and independence, and this was the very first time I had a

problem, my chair is one of my best buddies!

Pam x

[/quote]

Pam I’m sorry, I really just fear losing any more independence. I realise that the day will probably come when I need a chair or scooter and will cope when it happens. I really admire all of you and your positive attitudes but like you must feel at times, I picture the next stage and hope I get time to adjust to the current changes first.

In the space of a month I’ve gone from a diagnosis of neck injury with permanent cord damage, walking with a stick and needing loads of meds to PPMS, ISC and my family making me use crutches (which they were right to do and I was big enough to admit it). My entire life has changed very quickly, don’t misunderstand me I’m not looking for sympathy, but I just want the bus to stop and let me get off for a while. That’s all I meant, but I really appreciate your reassurance, I’ll probably be back weeping at each stage but all of you are wonderful and I really think you’re the bravest people around.

Take care.

Cath x

Hi Cath, There is absolutely no shame in weeping…we have to grieve for each change the MonSter hits us with. I know from my own experiences that it’s much much better to have a good sob now and again than than to bottle it all in. It never ceases to amaze me though how quickly the brain learns to accept and deal with new problems. I can honestly say that some of my earlier symptoms, which seemed like the end of the world at the time eventually lost much of their significance. Natures way of keeping us sane I imagine It’s still very early days for you and I think we all go through such an overwhelming time until we get ourselves back on track. I’m sure you’re right we must all wonder about the next stage from time to time but none of us know if we will progress quickly or slowly. I know some days it’s really hard but my philosophy…enjoy the now and try hard not to worry about something that just might not happen because either way worrying wont change what will be. Take care Cath, Nina x

You’re so right Nina, thanks.

Cath x

Hi Cath,I, know how you’re feeling. I was dx’d in Dec 2011 and since then I have gone from walking with a stickt to crutches and ISC. When I go shopping I borrow the shop’s wheelchair. For the first four or five times I did it I hated itso much and wanted to wear a bag on my head buti guess if you do something enough times you get used to it. Last time I used it I didn’t feel so bad - I didn’t like it but I didn’t hate it either. You adjust to your circumstances I guess! I’m in awe of your independence Pam - thank goodness hubby wasn’t too far away so could come to your rescue! Hope the scooter is working OK now! Teresa xx

Sorry it’s a power chair - not a scooter!

Oh Pam it’s a terrible feeling.

Happened to me on scooter one. It just stopped. I’ve never felt so helpless in my life. Was on my own. Luckily not far from home and some kind stranger pushed the scooter with me hobbling behind.

Turned out that a bit of grit had got under one of the connectors which stopped it making contact with the battery.

Took me a few trips out to get my confidence back.

Glad it turned out ok… and it did put a smile on my face.

Pat x

Pam I’m sorry, I really just fear losing any more independence. I realise that the day will probably come when I need a chair or scooter and will cope when it happens. I really admire all of you and your positive attitudes but like you must feel at times, I picture the next stage and hope I get time to adjust to the current changes first.

In the space of a month I’ve gone from a diagnosis of neck injury with permanent cord damage, walking with a stick and needing loads of meds to PPMS, ISC and my family making me use crutches (which they were right to do and I was big enough to admit it). My entire life has changed very quickly, don’t misunderstand me I’m not looking for sympathy, but I just want the bus to stop and let me get off for a while. That’s all I meant, but I really appreciate your reassurance, I’ll probably be back weeping at each stage but all of you are wonderful and I really think you’re the bravest people around.

Take care.

Cath x

[/quote]

Hi Cath,

I really do appreciate how scary things are for you, I think in the beginning we all

feel like that to some degree. I tried hard not to think of the “what if’s”, and I know

this is easier said than done, but for me, by doing that helped me.

It can seem that things are going fast, but please remember that it can plateau,

and although we think we wont be able to cope, it’s surprising how we do.

I remember the awful feeling of embarrassement when I first had to use sticks,

crutches and then a wheelchair, but eventually I came to the conclusion they are

only tools to make life easier.

Take care and hang in there Cath, you have friends who understand on this forum.

Pam x

Hi Teresa

Using the shop’s wheelchair will get easier, I promise, it reserves your energy, so you

can enjoy a bit of retail therapy more.

I must admit I was glad to be near home, and that it was only a small problem, I would

be gutted without my trusty powerchair, and not be able to go out.

Take care

Pam x

Hi Nina

Agree totally with you, there is nowt wrong in having a good weep, sometimes it puts things

into perspective, better than bottling things up.

I like your philosophy to life, good for you.

Take care

Pam x

Thanks Pam, Was the factory outlet in Gloucester ? Is it any good ? Take care, Nina x