Forum

How long after diagnosis have u had children?

Hi, Just a general question really. I think if you have a ms diagnosis looming or recently been diagnosed you think how on earth am I going to fit in having a child! It even makes me feel a little rushed into the decision before I feel ready.

Hi Anon :slight_smile: I have been dianosed for 2 years now but my neuro told me I have had it for at least 15 years before. I have had 2 children ( last one born when I was 38) during this time and everything is good. I get tired and the usual stuff but we work around it. Don’t rush in if you are not ready. You don’t say how old you are some other than that I can’t comment xx

Hi Amanda, thanks for your reply. I’m 31, I know that I would love children but I was thinking the next couple of years. Such a tough choice to make when everythings not as it once was.

I was 24 when I was diagnosed, I’m now nearly 33. Like you all sorts went through my mind… should I have children now while symptoms are just sebsory, how many should I have, should I have them at all? However as I slowly started coming to terms with the diagnosis I started realising that I could still live life and as I didn’t want children at 24 then I’d risk waiting. We went on a few big holidays then we had our beautiful boy when I was 29. It was the right timing for us and it does have to be right as it is a challenge but the best one :-):heart: We’ve decided to just stick with the one child although some of me thinks we may have had another if my m.s hadn’t deteriorated slightly in the last few months. However neither of us having a burning desire for anymore and we are happy being a family of three. Don’t feel rushed. It’s important you come to terms with your diagnosis too but my life was not an awful lot different for the first eight years . And to be honest its probably still not now when I look at it properly. …walking is slightly affected and having to inject but life is what you make it and I won’t let m.s win. Sorry about the lengthy reply. Love Lisa xxx.

Hi I was diagnosed when I was 21 with rrms I had my first baby when I was 28and my second 9 months ago. It’s tough when they are little but as they get older it gets a little easier. I have a very supportive husband and family. I know I couldn’t do it without them! It is tough but well worth it. Don’t let your ms stop you having babies. Just make sure you have the support in place to help before hand. Good luck with whatever you choose to do x

Hi

I was diagnosed with MS about eight months after the birth of my first child - because I saw some neurological deterioration then. I was nearly 33 when my first son was born. I got pregnant again, by accident, straight away after diagnosis. I was fine after giving birth for the second time and pretty much fine for the next three years and then chose to get pregnant again. Again, I was pretty much fine for the next three years. After that I started to have bad relapses that have left me with quite a lot of disability (I’m still having them in spite of dmds and am quite nervous about what is ahead of me).

I’ve read about one study of women with MS which found a difference between the health of those who had had children after diagnosis and those that had not. The ones that had given birth after diagnosis were less likely to be using a wheelchair 15 or 20 years after diagnosis (I can’t really remember the timescale). The people who did the study think it’s an effect of pregnancy hormones but no-one knows for sure.

Thus the pregnancy itself could affect your disease in either direction. Pregnancy hormones may have a long term protective effect but sleepless nights from the baby are probably bad in the short term. I know women are, in general, protected from relapses during pregnancy but more likely than they normallly would be to have a relapse after giving birth. All this says you should try not to rush yourself into a decision - for every woman (MSer or not) having a child is a huge step that changes their life for ever. You need to try and work out what is right for you, that’s the really important thing.