how do mobility schemes work ?

hi thanks for reading Im thinking about getting a new car and i recieve the higher rate mobility component of the dla but i am worried if i get a mobility car what happens when the dreaded PIP re assesment comes if i dont get the higher rate what happens to the car ? do i have to give it straight back ?do i have to pay a large amount for it straight away ? .Also what happens at the end of the 3 years (or however long you get to keep the car)do u have to give the car back or is it yours ?Many thanks for reading

Hi

Motability is a brilliant scheme, I’ve had a Motability car for 2 years and love it. There really is no hassle, I recently had a slow puncture and Kwik Fit came to my house on the same day and replaced the tyre.

As I understand it:

• If you aren’t awarded higher rate PIP you will have to return the car, although there may be the option to buy it.
  • It’s up to you how much you pay up front for the car. There are a lot of cars which don’t require advance payments. If you choose one that does have an advance payment (usually up to £3000) then you pay it as you buy the car.
  • At the end of 3 years, you may have the option of buying the car or you may get a new one!

Have a look at The Motability website http://www.motability.co.uk or give them a ring. I have always found them to be very helpful.

Happy Motoring

Anne x

Hi

As Anne says, it’s a very hassle free way of having a car. Basically, everything is sorted by motability - insurance, full breakdown cover (it gets noted with the breakdown people that we’re disabled, so we get treated as a priority should you ever break down), annual service. The only things you have to pay are the advance payment (if there is one), the weekly rental fee (the mobility component of DLA), and whatever petrol you use. Basic adaptations also get put in for free, though you’d need to pay for fancier ones. I use a steering ball and a push/pull lever for the break/accelerator, and they were done free.

The motability website has details of all the cars available and what the advance payment is. At the end of the 3 years, if you don’t buy the car then you give it back and get pick a new one. You don’t get the advance payment back, and you’ll need to pay the new advance payment if there is one. If, for whatever reason, you no longer qualify for the high rate mobility component then you have to give the car back. However I’m pretty certain you get a proportion of any advance payment back (e.g. if you’re halfway through the 3 years, you get half the advance payment back).

You’ll probably be best off speaking to motability though, who’ll be able to give you the most up-to-date answers.

If you have any other questions, ask away.

Dan

Ho Coley, To qualify for a mobility car you have to revieve the higher rate DLA - you can go to any dealer and choose any car you will notice that some have pre-payments(cash up front) and some dont. Just browse all the websites for the pre-payment(or not) options. If you go ahead? basically you ‘give up’ your higher rate mobilty allowance - that goes towards the cost of the car- depending on when you get the care your allowance is stopped on the nearest wednesday -so you will get a ‘part-payment’ DLA for the month of purchase then after you will get just the carer part of the DLA, hope this is of some help? SJB