holiday /india

hi all, very stressed, about flying on plane, and once i get to my destination how i will cope,

Has anybody been to india for a break? i dont feel like its going to be a MS once i am there? I will be taking precautions with water and food. But is there anything else I may need to consider? Also how to people cope on long flights? I hardly go out much here but cant stay inside forever. any tips would be grateful…thankyou.

Also why is travel insurance for MS people so high? Do anybody else do it cheaper for us?

I haven’t but in 2006 I went to Canada and was fine…tired the first day hit after a good nights sleep I was fine. Try not to worry and enjoy it. 2006 was in early diagnosis although I do think I would still be fine now although my symptoms have increased slightly since having a child due to the usual mummy role I expect. My insurance was still reasonable at that point so cannot help you with that one. We have not been abroad since about 2008 as wanted to wait to my boy was a bit older however we may go next year so it’ll be interesting to see what the premiums will be then as my hubbie has a kidney problem too and I’ve had more relapses since then. Right pair us, clearly made for each other? :wink: don’t worry and enjoy your holiday, take it as a chance to rest and get some sun, something we don’t get here often :wink: x

Definitely worth shopping around. I’ve just renewed today for the year with InsureAndGo, and the extra on account of the MS wasn’t too bad this time either.

Alison

x

I also have had Insurance from Insure and Go, and it just cost an extra £5 to ordinarly insurance for a week.

Wendy

I’ve used insure & go before too and it’s not heavily weighted because of MS. Fortunatley for us we get free worldwide cover ins through our bank now and again no prob with me having MS. Give Ins & Go a try think you’ll be pleasantly suprised at how reasonable they are. With regards to your trip you’ll never know if you don’t try. I did America 2 yrs ago was very stiff but soon got going again all be it slowly. Lol x

Travelling by aircraft seems a daunting experience for anyone Disabled in wheelchair or not, but in reality it isn’t it can be a seamless experience as you are helped every step of the way, (that’s not meant as a pun).

I worked for British Airways for 26 years, as such travelled to many parts of the World. In fact in 1988 I travelled twice around the World, some 48,000 miles in 5 days on aircraft, sponsored for Charity. Not something I would recommend but shows you it is possible.

Stick to these guidelines and you will really enjoy the experience. First on booking your flight tell them you would like assistance from check-in to the gate. This could be a wheelchair with someone pushing or a lift on a Golf type buggy. The gate could be over one mile away so don’t think your doing any favour’s by not asking for help. The aircraft has a certain slot for take off, if you are late because of walking difficulties, THE AIRCRAFT HAS TO GO without you, otherwise it costs mega bucks.

If you have problems walking down the isle when you get aircraft side, no problem, quite a few aircraft now have small wheelchairs especially to take people up and down the isle. If you can’t walk whatsoever, no problem, tell them and facilities will be put in place from check-in to take you to the aircraft by ambulance, high lift you to the aircraft and trained medical staff to lift you in the seat. The golden rule here is ‘tell them.’

With some airlines you can pre-book your seat. If so get one that has more leg room and near the toilets, probably a bulkhead seat. The Civil Aviation Authority has made a ruling that no Disabled person can have a seat by an Emergency Exit for obvious reasons.

If for some reason you get to your destination and your wheelchair is missing or worse still damaged it is the airlines, or should I say good airlines signed up to something called the Haig Protocol to restore or repair your chair, see the airlines staff.

I remember I went to San Diego from Gatwick once and they left my chair behind. I was in a rush had to go down to Tijuana and the only one they had to loan me had a large sign above my head saying ‘AVIS Rent a Car.’ The times I was stopped in my Hotel by people saying “hey fella, where can I get a car.”### ### Have a good time, don’t worry as far as flying is concerned your husband will be looked after.

Equipment used for his disability eg wheelchairs; crutches travel free. I have no idea if this extends to a travel kit but I would think they were being rather padantic if they charged; mind you I would be very careful with so called ‘budget airlines.’ Give you airline a ring to clarify.

Don’t forget your EHIC card http://www.nhs.uk/nhsengland/Healthcareabroad/pages/Healthcareabroad.aspx no good for India.

### George

Thankuuuu so soooo much all for th information u have given, very much appreciated honestly…

I was not going to book th golf buggy as i thought sitting on th plane maybe bit of stretch would help, but i will now and try for the bulkhead seats, thanku…,very very much, i love this site everytime i want to know something somebody always to help. now just to sort out my bowels and bladder and stop getting nervous and hope for the best.

The vaccinations r really hurting, been two days but hope they get better too. oh lets see, feel exhausted with just the organizing of it, and i bet i dont use half th stuff i take with me… carex carex carex, my suitcase gona be full of that lol.

yes will look into the bank a/cs too, never thought if they had th insurance option, thanku LISALOU alison100 Wendyx Bambi19 ggood