Help!! really worried about link with MS and diabetes type 1 symptoms

Hi , good evening I tried to send this before in a new account but it said post was being moderated - I have remembered my old password now! Confusing myself! I have had very numb and dry feet since being diagnosed with MS 5 years ago and it’s got worse recently. Some parts of my toes are completely numb and I had always accepted this as an MS symptom, but worried it could be diabetes. Are dry feet and cracked heels a symptom of MS due to nerve damage? Recently I have lost weight unexpectedly ( half a stone in two months but this does coincide with a much more active and physical job that involves a lot of standing when previously I was seated most of the time) but people have commented that i look thin and tired, although my partner says I don’t look dramatically thinner, my heels are cracked and I seem to have started a fungal nail infection in the past week. I have read that all of these can be symptoms of type 1 diabetes and that there is a definite link between MS and type 1 diabetes. Don’t have excessive thirst or exhaustion though. I’m always going to the loo but have been all my life and put this down to MS also. I also read the symptoms of type 1 can come on suddenly over a few weeks. I’m very concerned and have read far too much on the Internet and have totally scared myself silly- I’m panicking. I also read that MS can disguise diabetes symptoms. Help! Going to call my MS nurse and GP on Monday but any thoughts in the meantime? If only to make me put this in perspective so I can sleep tonight!! So stupid to read too much about symptoms on the Internet and start self diagnosing - wish I’d waited to speak to my nurse. Thanks!! F

hi fizz

definitely speak to your gp. he/she should be able to test you for diabetes.

i’d be surprised if you have it.

that dr google is something of a charlatan!

dry feet i understand because i have dry feet too.

get in the habit of pampering your tootsies. rub a good cream on them every night.

see a chiropodist. buy some remedy for fungal nail infection.

hope you manage to get your worries sorted

carole x

Thanks For replying Carole! And your advice. Every so often I start panicking but maybe it’s just fear of MS coming out in different forms. My feet are so numb at the moment. Good advice - thank you. Fizz x

Thanks For replying Carole! And your advice. Every so often I start panicking but maybe it’s just fear of MS coming out in different forms. My feet are so numb at the moment. Good advice - thank you. Fizz x