Help!! Worried I have diabetes type 1 symptoms

Hi there I have suffered from dry numb feet since I got diagnosed with MS. Some of my toes are completely numb all the time, and my skin feels as though it’s stretched over the soles. I’ve just got used to it and thought it was MS. One of my feet has now got a cracked heel and I have lost half a stone over two months which I put down to a much more active job where I am standing a lot. Can dry feet and cracked heels be a symptom of MS or should I be thinking about diabetes type 1?? I read that MS has a definite link to diabetes type 1 and that MS symptoms can disguise diabetes. Read too much about the symptoms of diabetes and a bit terrified now that I have diabetes and MS! Any thoughts? Much appreciated!! Going to call my MS nurse first thing on Monday. Thanks, F

In relation to foot post, it also looks as though I have a fungal nail infection!! I’m really scared. I read that this is also a sign of diabetes as your feet are more prone to infection. Think getting all these symptoms at once is worrying. Apparently diabetes type one symptoms can come on over a few weeks. Thanks! F

If you had Type 1 you would be constantly thirsty and I mean you would drink 5 litres of fluids a day and still be thirsty,

then severe constipation. When you pee it would be like your peeing water and would be frothy in the toilet with all the sugar.

If not treated after 4 weeks you would have lost 4 stone in weight as the body starts eating itself and despite taking 3 boxes of senokot you still have not done a number 2 for a week.

Also bad headache and eyes dry and blurry.

If you even think or have any of the above get a simple glucose blood test either from a GP or Chemist.

If you leave it too long then organ dehydration, sever potassium deficiency and high risk of heart attack. if you get to that stage then its 3 days in hospital while they rehydrate you with 6 bags of saline and potassium and put you on a sliding scale inusulin and force you to eat nasty hospital food.

Oh and Fizz444 your correct with Type 1 diabetes, Hypo/Hyper thyroidism are all linked. Type 2 is just stuffing your face for years and being over weight and not linked.

Interestingly I have : Type 1 diabetes Hypothyroidism Pernicious anaemia And likely coeliac disease. Awaiting a scope test to confirm diagnosis. That’s alot of autoimmune diseases!! The symptoms you are mentioning dont hugely sound like T1DM but a finger prick glucose or even a urine sample could put your mind at ease simply and effectively. If abnormal further tests needed. T1DM comes on quickly as Hobs said. Thirst and peeing lots are main symptoms- called the osmotic sx of DM. Feet problems are usually a late issue with long standing DM.

Sorry- forgot to say I also,have RRMS!! I’m not just on this site for fun!!

Hello Fizz

If you think you have a fungal infection then see your gp and get yourself a good foot cream. I wouldn’t worry about having diabetes but speak to your MS nurse anyway if you feel you need the reassurance

I know what you mean about the stretched feeling over the soles of your feet…I get that too.

Lucky you, losing half a stone…that’s great!!

Take care xx

has anyone asked if you are drinking heavily, or mentioned an odd smell from you? These are symptoms too of low blood sugar from diabetes.

[quote=“Hobs”]

Oh and Fizz444 your correct with Type 1 diabetes, Hypo/Hyper thyroidism are all linked. Type 2 is just stuffing your face for years and being over weight and not linked.

[/quote] Thank you for your reply Hobs - I panic sometimes and should definitely get out of the habit of self diagnosing diseases that create MS like symptoms by random browsing on the internet- foolish thing to do! Although having said that it worked for my MS diagnosis! Thanks again, Fizz

[quote=“Anonymous”] Interestingly I have : Type 1 diabetes Hypothyroidism Pernicious anaemia And likely coeliac disease. Awaiting a scope test to confirm diagnosis. That’s alot of autoimmune diseases!! The symptoms you are mentioning dont hugely sound like T1DM but a finger prick glucose or even a urine sample could put your mind at ease simply and effectively. If abnormal further tests needed. T1DM comes on quickly as Hobs said. Thirst and peeing lots are main symptoms- called the osmotic sx of DM. Feet problems are usually a late issue with long standing DM. [/quote] Thanks Anon, yes interesting how autoimmune conditions seem to be linked. I wonder if treatments produced for one might shed light on the others. Does seem that the problem is with the immune cells breaking into the blood-brain barrier and getting into places they shouldn’t be. I was reading that in MS the permeability of the blood-brain barrier is the problem and seems to play a part of diabetes too.

[quote=“Blossom”]

Hello Fizz

If you think you have a fungal infection then see your gp and get yourself a good foot cream. I wouldn’t worry about having diabetes but speak to your MS nurse anyway if you feel you need the reassurance

I know what you mean about the stretched feeling over the soles of your feet…I get that too.

Lucky you, losing half a stone…that’s great!!

Take care xx

[/quote] Thank you Blossom - I am rubbing on foot cream and antiseptic like mad and hoping the cracks will heal! Actually wondering if standing a lot is contributing. Losing weight does sound good I know but I’m on the over thin side anyway and definitely didn’t need to lose weight - just makes me look ill in the face and tired! Not a good look :frowning: yes I will speak to my GP thanks for replying x

Ha I actually had this days after, odd smell and I was told its down to high Ketones.

Anyway this is all years ago now, best thing about being a Type 1 is you can eat anything like a tub of Ben and Jerrys
all you have to do is inject extra insulin to care of the extra sugar.

Oh wow…poor you anon and I thought I was the only one being greedy.

Good luck hope you don’t have any others.

Helpo again Fizz The standing for long periods may have something to do with your present foot problems, also type of shoes you wear at work. The weight loss does need to be checked out with your gp/ms nurse. Take care Xx

Btw, I buy Hemp foot protector cream from body shop…it’s a good cream :slight_smile:

Best wishes Fizz - I’m sure it’s not time to worry. I had cracked heels too - used some cream from the supermarket and no sign of further trouble at all.

I am interested in this - having being diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and RRMS all within the past nine months - I was inclined to post something to see whether others have similar experience.

Did I really read the comment quoted above?? Seems strange on a site where the the majority of conributors probably experience a lack of understanding themselves.

I am fairly fit, run and cycle regularly (for now anyway!) and eat carefully. I am slightly overweight. I don’t remember stuffing my face for years - nor, I suspect, does Sir Steve Redgrave (another Type 2 diabetic).

I was on about the majority about the type 2 are over weight etc.
If you go to the endocrine clinic in any hospital you can spot the type 1 from the type 2 so if people are overweight lose it
as getting type 2 will give you loads of complications.

But still type 2 is not linked with MS and the Immune system it’s seperate and your just unlucky.

It’s ok, I understand the message - it was just an insensitive choice of words in my view.

In common with MS, diabetes (of either type) is not a precise science - so it is important not to generalise.

It’s also unhelpful to imply that sufferers are somehow at fault (even if you think they are)