Has the carer scammed me!

I’M a 57yr old man and reasonably bright, I hope. A few months ago I grew quite close to one of my carers who out of the blue ĺeft the country and went back to her homeland of the Philippines. We stayed in contact via Facebook/WhatsApp etc and I initially believed her stories about getting her English exams up to date because an offer of a job in England has come up but up north from me in Liverpool. To cut a long story short I’ve given her a total £750 which isn’t life changing for me. A few unanswered texts and calls from me and I begin to think have I been done.

1 Like

You don’t need us to tell you… :astonished:

1 Like

I am sorry to hear this. We all think we’re not the kind of people who… don’t we?

But in the right circs, we’re all vulnerable to confidence tricksters because we’re all human.

Very sad to hear that someone will exploit others generosity.

I have had carers from ASIA and other places they come in on visas and sponserships and carry on with their studies in the UK. They must have an up to date English exam. perhaps she took it before she came and was only recently told she had to resit and this is why she had to leave suddenly. Believe me they get no warning, they are gone. Some have left behind families and some are at university and do work with that ontop of care worker. I have had girls doing PHDs , cyber security, masters one was even a small plane pilot from AUSSIE lol.

you carer her story is what i would expect to hear as there are so many pitfalls for sponsered carers coming into the country. They have to be educated to a certain degree to actually get work here.

i have had several who had to go back to their native countries to upgrade an exam which hadnt been included. Now if she was going to scam you I honestly think she would have from the get go. Her story is plausible. You say you stayed in contact via FACEBOOK/WhatsApp is she still on facebook, whats app.

Did she ask you directly for money? Or did you offer it too her openely? What care company did she come in with, they have to be with a care company to get visas and sponserships. You could discuss it with them.

You took a shot and supported her, she isnt answering, she may simply be so busy she hasnt had time. But well i would assume you can say goodbye to the money. but then you enjoyed her company for some time and forged a friendship.

I still talk to a few of my carers from sponsership. one was so disalussioned with uk and the school for her son she sent them home back to kenya and she is still working her butt end on here to support them, they are all hard working and never stop. not one ever asked me for anything, but hey i am female lol.

you did a good thing, a kind thing, seriously hope she didnt take advantage but life is very hard for them, maybe one day you will get a knock on the door and she will be there who knows?

its a learning curb. Never get too close to our carers as they are doing a job for us. xxxx